Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret or Fulltone OCD?

Gabriel

Reaction score
I've narrowed it down to these two OD pedals and I am currently bidding on both. Which would you prefer for an early Marshall overdriven sound? JTM-45, plexi etc. From demos I've heard I prefer the DLS but everyone raves about the OCD and it's transparecy.

PraXis

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I had the OCD but sold it, preferred the fulltone fulldrive. I have a DLS clone and I think it's better with my setup than the OCD.

Funky54

Reaction score
I play a les Paul into a 67 BF Super Reverb and a 65 AC30 TB. I much prefer the DLS over the OCD. I thought the OCD was a little harsher in a unwanted way. The DLS didnt have as much gain, but did mild so much better than the OCD. I was comparing Thin Lizzy and FREE riffs to the original recording and felt the DLS was way closer to those sounds.

Gibsonblues

Reaction score
I've got both and for me, it's the OCD. I gave the DLS to my son who really likes it. I haven't found many I like better for my style than the Fulltone. I did get an 82/83 Ibanez SD9 with the 4558D last week. I'm liking it pretty much right now.... GB

jimmydeuce

Reaction score
I had both and liked them. OCD has more gain, DLS was a little more transparent I thought. For me though, neither could beat my Box of Rock. For what you're looking for tone wise I'd lean towards the DLS.

firesgt911

Reaction score
I had the OCD but sold it, preferred the fulltone fulldrive. I have a DLS clone and I think it's better with my setup than the OCD.

I recently played a Fulldrive for the first time. That was one sweet sounding pedal!

Anyways, I think it really comes down to how much gain you want. The OCD will have loads more. If you are looking for a mildly overdriven sound, DLS all the way. Good luck.

Hector Arcadius

Reaction score
For gainy '80s Marshall sound, I'm sticking to my Crunch Box. For '70s Plexi-tones, I just got a HAO Rust Driver that I'm liking a lot. It really nails that Clapton Cream era.

OP: Is that Tech 21 California still with you? I better send you a PM I think...

Gabriel

Reaction score
I still got the Tech21 indeed. Same place as last time, in it's box.:laugh2:

R8R6Ben

Reaction score
i had a dls and liked it... it was kinda tempremental with some amps though. Worked great with fenders but couldn't get a good sound with voxes. I hated the OCD... just pure junk to me. I actually like Lovepedal Eternity drives the best.

PraXis

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I didn't like the OCD on full gain.. the DLS with a booster does wonders though.

Gabriel

Reaction score
That's a great post Funky54! In fact yesterday night I ordered the DLS so it's a pleasant confirmation of my choice. Hope it turns out great.

Cas

Reaction score
I have both and use them in my 50 watt Marshall metalface 1987.

Theyre nothing alike. I find the DLS to be FAR more transparent. In fact, if the gain is less than half way on the DLS when you turn it on its almost completely unnoticeable.

OCD has much mroe gain and does the cranked marshall sound better at low volumes. I like the OCD with my les Paul more.

It depends what youre looking for. They are both great but completely different.

I will say the best tone I have found is my Marshall and Strat with both volumes on 8 and the DLS used as a booster. But it was INSANELY loud with awesome controlled feedback and just about the best "rock" tone you could imagine.

Im keeping them both. I dont like low gain settings for lead cuz I find it boring. I like crunchy sounds for rhythm and soaring smooth gain sounds for lead.

Both pedals deliver just in different ways. I just find in order for the DLS to (for my taste) the amp needs to be driven (even though I THINK catalinbread suggests a clean amp). I personally like it driven hard and the DLS as a booster.

I havent gotten either to really sound very early JTMish though. I dont think you can really get those tones without a cranked JTM. Theyre just too creamy.

Gabriel

Reaction score
I think I'll pretty much get the OCD as well as soon as one pops here used at a good price or I find one for cheap on ebay.

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Same. Love the Fulldrive, hated the OCD.

Latest Threads