Case recommendations

Leobardo Navarro

Reaction score
I just bought a 2016 les paul studio and it came with the high performance aluminum case, the problem is that is really heavy and I’m looking for a lighter case that I can carry everyday, any recommendations?

Also, do you know where I can sell the aluminum as and how much it worths? The case still has all the plastics and haven’t left my house

Attachments

LPTDMSV

Reaction score
The 2015 gold plastic cases are way more.practical, very much lighter.

Sometimes they sell cheaply on eBay, sometimes not.

Even better: Lighter, stronger and usually cheaper - Hiscox.

MSB

Reaction score
the black/grey or black/white gibson cases are my favorites, brown/pink are great too, but people either want crazy money for them or they stink/abused. But it really depends on the brand. You couldn't give me a '15 gold case. I wanted to like them, but it took 3 for me to learn my lesson.

LPTDMSV

Reaction score
Did your gold cases break? My gold case worked well, but I would have to admit I gave it a pretty easy time, not "road-tested"!

Whereas Hiscox cases I can vouch for are pretty tough.

Those "made in Canada" Gibson cases are good I agree, but the second-hand ones like you say usually at a silly price.

MSB

Reaction score
Did your gold cases break? My gold case worked well, but I would have to admit I gave it a pretty easy time, not "road-tested"!

Whereas Hiscox cases I can vouch for are pretty tough.

Those "made in Canada" Gibson cases are good I agree, but the second-hand ones like you say usually at a silly price.
i got rid of them before they got too much use. The only good thing about those cases were they were different looking, so guitar identification was easier. I had 3, the third one was identical to the first one I had, and as soon as I got it inside it went up on CL. The first one (had it a little over year when I noticed) that the tuners were hitting the bottom of the case, like you see with the '70s cases. Upon further inspections, the padding on the insides of the tops were different. I'm guessing one for a junior and the other was for a full bodied models (but that shouldn't affect the tuners IMO. They clearly wouldn't work with a bigsby either. Also, on the first case, by the time I sold it, the latches didn't want to line up as well as before, and given I never gigged it, I can't foresee them holding up to any real use. All in all, I just don't think highly of them. All of the issues are nonexistent on multiple other years and models of Gibson cases and I just won't waste my time on them again with any intention of keeping them.

MrWrong

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You can get current issue lightly used (basically new) cases from stratosphere, I like the carbon-fiber hp cases, but they don't have those very often, like the circa 2007 black with dark gray interior,

good luck!

christopherJ

Reaction score
Every day carry? SKB all the way. Stealthy, great protection, backpack straps, won't bunger up your auto, etc. I have a guitar with me every day and it is the way to go. Hardcase for studio/home storage.

PauloQS

Reaction score
For what you described, I prefer soft cases. I really like Mono M80 Classic Electric. I have used it extensively with every Gibson I own, including my dream guitar, my R9. It offers plenty protection for lugging it between jam sessions, practices and gigs.

moreles

Reaction score
I would use a Mono bag if you're really taking it around every day. That's what lots of pros so. Otherwise, the brown/pink case is really hard to beat. It's light, remarkably strong, and non-bulky.

Roxy13

Reaction score
There are quite a few decent quality aftermarket cases for LPs. You might as well use your aluminum one at home because there isn't much tougher than that one. I think I could run mine over with my truck and the guitar would be fine :rofl:

And buy something lighter for when you take it out. I don't even take my Gibsons out in a Gibson case if I have to leave it in my truck for any amount of time. I use a case that has nothing on it or some off brand or something.

Leobardo Navarro

Reaction score
I was thinking about the even cheaper ones, but the one you mentioned is also a great case (I have one). I wouldn't classify it as "lightweight", though.
how much does it weigh approximately? Does it fits a les Paul with g force tuners?

Leobardo Navarro

Reaction score
For what you described, I prefer soft cases. I really like Mono M80 Classic Electric. I have used it extensively with every Gibson I own, including my dream guitar, my R9. It offers plenty protection for lugging it between jam sessions, practices and gigs.
Any alternative to the mono, here in my country they’re selling for about 250-300

David Garner

Reaction score
The 2015 gold plastic cases are way more.practical, very much lighter.

Sometimes they sell cheaply on eBay, sometimes not.

Even better: Lighter, stronger and usually cheaper - Hiscox.
This is what I bought to replace the cheap SKB case that came with my 1993 Standard. It works great. I have the normal brown case that came with my Traditional, and I have a slight preference for it, mostly because it isn't as bulky.

Latest Threads