Case candy and stupid idiots

Greg's Guitars

Reaction score
That coupled with several buyers who have stated im selling a "LP Classic" not an R9 and stupid questions like "What year is it?" and "Is it VOS"... when it clearly states this in the listing and the description....

I mean would someone really spend 3K on a guitar and not even read what their buying....

Not one person has asked me how she sounds..

Sorry guys just needed to unload!

Regards
Flight595 :slash:

You would be amazed at the questions one gets asked when it comes to selling gear...

SKATTERBRANE

Banned
Reaction score
The thing is, if someone expects top dollar for a Les Paul, collector's prices, then it should be near mint with all the candy and COA. If it was a player and the COA and candy is missing, expect to get less for it.

It is the same with classic cars, people with cars that need $20-$50K's worth of restoration, think their car is worth as much as a 100 point concours example.

Nothing wrong with playing your Les Paul and not treating it like a collector's investment, but expect to get less for it when you go to sell it.

dangerdog

Reaction score
The thing is, if someone expects top dollar for a Les Paul, collector's prices, then it should be near mint with all the candy and COA. If it was a player and the COA and candy is missing, expect to get less for it.

It is the same with classic cars, people with cars that need $20-$50K's worth of restoration, think their car is worth as much as a 100 point concours example.

Nothing wrong with playing your Les Paul and not treating it like a collector's investment, but expect to get less for it when you go to sell it.

But to expect any kind of a discount over a bag of polish and cord is ridiculous when they are available in perfect condition...original "equipment" if you will, for $50 tops.

I am not talking about a pickup that has been taken out and replaced or a Gibson string tag with a serial number on it...I am talking about a bag of polish and cloth, each EXACTLY the same as the other, with no distinguishing marks, that even the most highly trained forensic scientist in the world couldn't prove or disprove whether it originally came with the guitar in question or not.

To try and get any type of discount over that is just a good way to piss off your seller.

I can understand paying a little more for guitar specific candy (inspection sheet etc) and a good deal more for a COA (I don't approve of COAs but I realize their value) but to make a big deal over a bag of polish and cloth is the sign of a retard.

SKATTERBRANE

Banned
Reaction score
Well I agree with a polish kit is small change. I was talking more about the majority of the case candy and COA. Hang tags, cable, instructions, warranty card, etc. Actually most come with only the cloth and not the entire cleaning kit anyway.

So, in short, I agree with you when it comes to the generic polish kit that can be bought at any Gibson dealer's store, no big deal.

Sakamoto

Reaction score
Apparently the new historic's are not coming to the authorized dealer's with the candy anymore. :hmm:

I just purchased a new R0 and it came without the strap, cord or truss wrench. :hmm:

I called the dealer and was told that these items aren't included now. He said Gibson apparently has stopped this for cost cutting measures. :wtf:

I do think it's a lame decision on Gibson's part. This being my first reissue I would have liked to get what I thought was standard included items. :noway:

spindrift

Reaction score
I have an R9 with all that stuff BUT the brown strap...anyone have one to sell? I am just wanting a complete package since I have all the CC anyway...!
Gary

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
I would fill the case with M&Ms and Snickers. Much more useful then the cable and cloth, and tastes much better...

Captain Zap

Reaction score
I always ask if you have anything you can though in when buy’en used… You would be surprised what people though in just to make a sale. I have gotten some really nice straps and extra new strings all the time… CheepZapper

BEDLAM_1

Reaction score
I would throw in a bag of M&M`s and be done with it;-)
Took me weeks to knore through the cloth, Case candy isnt even that tasy!..

EasyAce

Reaction score
I mean would someone really spend 3K on a guitar and not even read what their buying....

People have, and people will. For better or worse.

Not one person has asked me how she sounds..

Which may betray a 50-50 chance of such people buying them a) to flip them for even better profit; or, b) to keep them on display only like mummies in a tomb.

My first criteria for buying on the Bay would be, now that I've resolved the guitar in question has little beyond normal play wear, how does she sound? A nice looker is one thing, but a guitar is like a woman---she could be the sexiest looking thing on two legs (well, six strings), but if there's no substance the thrill is gone quickly enough.

But that's just me.

ecks57

Reaction score
i snatched one up for a great deal with out the candy coa or case

Stretchr

Reaction score
Glad I saw this post before I asked whether it's available in sugarless (for diabetics)

Thanks

Tonealicious

Reaction score
Hey, I just got a Trad 2008, in Australia and received the manual and a checklist. Am I missing some stuff? I thought at least a truss rod wrench? I know I shouldn't be concerned, but man, its my first REAL one!:applause:

Latest Threads