Carved Top Veneer... tips?

The Whale

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
i'm working on building a left-handed PRS clone out of straight mahogany, but thinking about putting some sort of veneer over the top of it for visual... maybe paduak. This is my first carved top guitar, so I could use advice on applying a veneer. I'm planning on carving the body similarly to a PRS... but if applying a veneer would be too daunting a task, i'll merely apply a forearm cut and the lower horn contour and not extend the veneer over those portions... give it a unique two-toned look.

So, advice on applying a veneer to a carved top?

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
try this out...
multipage.gif

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
well, that didn't go so good...access threads by 69GTLP. he had a thread recently that covered it quite well. it currently is down the list a bit on page four of this forum.

The Whale

Reaction score
Currently the plan is to get a body blank from Warmoth with the neck pocket and pickup holes already routed. They come 1.75" thick, and I'll apply a .5" carve to it, leaving the edge with 1.25" That's the idea. Am I crazy? I am planning on making this PRS clone at 25.5" scale, so that shouldn't be an issue.
And then I'll apply a veneer to the top. If the veneer's crazy, i'll go with a gold-top :)

gator payne

Reaction score
Hope you have a vacumm system. If you are asking how I assume you are npt acustom to glueing veneers to curved surfaces. A vacumm system makes the process much eaiser.

Latest Threads