Carve and finish top

lhawkins

Reaction score
I know a few guitar Builders on the forum spray their Carved tops Black to show up the imperfections, help see what needs to be sanded out, I am in the process of finishing the top on mine, but unsure about spraying it Black or any other color, What sort of paint is used, also the concerns of dye leaching out of the paint into the wood, and the removal of all the Black paint.
I am just generally worried about wrecking my newly carved top.

appreciate anyone's thoughts on this

Thank's
lee

SpinalChord

Reaction score
I never used paint on wood.I would mark the piece with a soft leadpencil all over and than sand till the marks were gone.

monsterwalley

Reaction score
I always used black spray primer. Preferably laquer, if you can still get it in cans. Use light coats so you don't "saturated" the wood. You basically want to
stay back and "dust" it on.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
for me, I use sunlight or a single incandescent light bulb as a source of light. Then by rotating the top (or neck or whatever it is your are carving, shaping or sanding) you can read the contours very easily by the shadows. It can't be done with fluorescent light or diffused light. You need it to produce hard shadows....trust me, it will tell the whole story.

George "M"

Reaction score
for me, I use sunlight or a single incandescent light bulb as a source of light. Then by rotating the top (or neck or whatever it is your are carving, shaping or sanding) you can read the contours very easily by the shadows. It can't be done with fluorescent light or diffused light. You need it to produce hard shadows....trust me, it will tell the whole story.

+1

I also use steel ruler, sliding it across the center line with light behind. It shows curvature perfectly, just keep the body almost on your eyes level.

ExNihilo

Reaction score
If I need to, I dust it with black primer.

lhawkins

Reaction score
Thank you all very much, you've all been very Helpful.

lee

Latest Threads