Carrying a guitar on a plane (USA to Europe)

PapaSquash

Reaction score
In certain planes, MD 80 for one, the baggage is thrown to the back because the loaders cannot stand up inside. So one guy takes it off the belt loader and throws it to another guy who is stacking luggage. Also, bags are sometimes dropped from the jetway to the ground to expedite loading. I've watched that from my adjacent plane.
If that doesn't bother you, go for it.

That works if you're in first, but not in coach if the plane is full (and they all are). I've been turned down as far as storing a guitar in the first class locker. The flight attendant insisted, "That will fit in the overhead."
In theory, a carryon cannot be more than 24" and must fit under the seat. (Which almost none do.)
Gate check? Yes, see above.

Also, once in Cincinnati, I saw TSA refuse to let a guitar through security because it was not "carry-on size". It seems like TSA makes up their own rules because the owner insisted he did this all the time and was never questioned.

My advice: get a decent hard case, and carry it on. Throw yourself on the mercy of the agents, and you might be a winner!

Damn. Thrown and Dropped are deal breakers. I guess I don't fly enough to see it.

Chicago John

Reaction score
Gate-check, if necessary, but I have seen lots of guitars in the cabin

This. If you show up early at the gate, most airlines will let you do this- no extra ticket necessary. If you check it, there is a good chance they will break it, however.

TMS

Reaction score
Anyone remember this?

The guitar case for a 1965 Gibson ES-335 is seen stuck in a Delta gate.
He asked if he could carry it on the plane instead, but he was denied.
gibson-delta.jpg

Musician whose vintage guitar was smashed by Delta gets check from airline, new one from Gibson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhYBnGgqeZw#t=10

gibbykohner

Reaction score

My twelve hour trip with Delta was excellent. They had me assisted the entire way. From before boarding until leaving the plane.

Boarded along with business class (no lines :fingersx:) and the flight attendant stored the guitar along with the pilots belongings. :thumb:

Was a tad worried while passing through some turbulent areas. I actually thought the guitar had gone to pieces, since it was in a upright, unsecured position. :shock:

Latest Threads