Care of suede cowboy boots?

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, I'm getting nowhere on anything specific for the brand/style that I bought, and all I'm finding on Youtube is either specific to hard leather, or the more coarse suede skins.
Other than that... I'm just finding a bunch of "ASMR" (whatever the hell that is) that do not describe the products used, or even worse, are whispering... REALLY freaking irritating.....

So I've been wearing a pair of Ariat Cowhand boots for years.
I decided to have the heels replaced, and not wanting a 2nd pair of the same style, I went for the Ryden style.
When I got them, I found that the upper is actually a very fine suede and not a hard leather.
I haven't had suede shoes or boots since my Hush Puppies when I was 10.

How is the care for these, compared to a conventional leather that would take a standard Saphir wax.
Is all these need is just a brushing and spray with water repellent?
Now that I have two pair, I'm rotating them every other day to help keep the leather dry, but I don't want these looking like crap in a few months.

And for the record, I do not recommend the Ryden style.
They are soft and comfortable, but they run large (B width feels more like a C) and the heel blocks are soft... and I can squeeze them and they feel hollow. By comparison, the Cowhands are much nicer and only $20 or so more.
I'm kinda limited in what brand and styles I can buy since my feet are very narrow. People recommend Danner and Justin, they are nice boots, but they don't make 11.5-B.

LocoTex

Reaction score
I have a pair of Ariat brushed leather ropers that I just brush off and wear. Love 'em.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I have two pairs of Fryes (one leather, one suede). I have never done anything other than the original stain-proof treatment. I brush them clean and enjoy.

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's basically rough-out leather, right?

Try this, may or may not be helpful.
The stock photos looked like buffed/lightly polished. I was surprised when they showed up and they were a very fine-grain suede. I guess you could call them rough-out, but they are nowhere near as rough as, say the
Sport Patriot

These are my Cowhands

These are the new Rydens.... but the upper does not look like this. The shaft is identical. Both boots are noted as "full grain", the Sport Patriot does indicate Suede.

nauc

Reaction score
ask the boot maker

NRBQ

Reaction score
You have to take the time to talk to them, ask them about their day, be sensitive to their needs, and most of all you have to listen to them when they speak and not just wait to talk, but really listen. Hope this helps.

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
ask the boot maker
I'll give that a shot, but not really expecting anything more than if I were to send an email to Mr. Toyoda asking about maintenance of my Corolla.
At least my Corolla came with a manual ;)

LocoTex

Reaction score
I like the Rydens. Nice looking boot.

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the Rydens. Nice looking boot.
Ariat has a lot of great looking boots, and these are super comfortable, but I don't hold out hope for durability given how soft the heel blocks are.
These are the first pair or anything other than deck shoes that I've owned in 15 years that didn't have a solid stacked leather heel block.
I'm not sure these can be resoled either, the stitching does not continue to the heel block on the bottom.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I would love to get some cowboy boots! But I know nothing about them....brands etc. Recommendations? Problem is, I have to try them on....I would never buy footwear on line.

LocoTex

Reaction score
Yep. My Ariats have rubber heels. Had 'em for years, and when they wear out I'll just get another pair.

Neffco

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cow shit and stirrups. Should patina nicely.

truckermde

Reaction score
I would love to get some cowboy boots! But I know nothing about them....brands etc. Recommendations? Problem is, I have to try them on....I would never buy footwear on line.
If you don't have places to try them on locally, you can try a few from Zappos, and return for free as many times as you like. You can then find them for a better price elsewhere, once you size them at Zappos.

I've always worn Justins.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Zappos. Got it, thanks. But if I'm going to order from them and return them until I get what I want, I will give them my business regardless of whether I then find a better price elsewhere.
I've been looking around online at styles this morning....kinda figuring out what I like the look of. I mentioned to Mrs. G that I might like some cowboy boots. She just lit up! "I know the best places"...let's go shopping!
I shoulda figured....she's like Imelda Marcos with shoes.

KSG_Standard

Reaction score
Ariat boots are all made in China...which makes me lol a little bit. A bunch of Chinese people making the boots that most cowboys wear. Nothing against them or anybody that wears them, but I prefer American or Mexican made boots myself. I wear Justin made in America (by Mexicans) and Nocona (made in America by Mexicans).

Mannish Boy

Reaction score
I've been wearing western boots for a long, long time. I'll list a few of the TOP quality boots. Lucchese, Black Jack, Tony Lama, Dan Post, and Stetson. These boots are not cheap, price or otherwise. Styles are made for both dress and work.

Not all brands fit the same way i.e. Tony Lama and Dan Post boots just don't fit me right, even though they are excellent boots. Lucchese, Black Jack, and Stetson all fit me perfectly. One should really try on different brands to find your match.

A good western wear store like Horsetown will have every boot you can think of.

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ariat boots are all made in China...which makes me lol a little bit. A bunch of Chinese people making the boots that most cowboys wear. Nothing against them or anybody that wears them, but I prefer American or Mexican made boots myself. I wear Justin made in America (by Mexicans) and Nocona (made in America by Mexicans).
Like I said... I'd gladly wear Justin or Danner, but they don't make them narrow enough.
By the book, my feet are borderline A-AA. I can tolerate B (my dress shoes are Allen Edmonds in A width).
Justin, Danner, and the other US bootmakers don't even make B, and a C is not tolerable... and I'm certainly not paying $300+ for improperly fitting footwear.

Latest Threads