car or truck?

car or truck?

• car

• truck

Results are only viewable after voting.

sk8rat

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new or used car but I cant decide between a car or truck. the two top contenders are the subaru brz and an access cab toyota tacoma. used both are around the $10k-$15k range but there are some caveats to both.

a tacoma with around 130k miles is priced about the same as the subaru with 50k miles. the subaru is by no means fast but I have been driving slow trucks my whole life and would like something a little more quick. on the other hand I want the truck so I can haul stuff. the truck will also be harder to find in good condition.

I realize the brz is more of a kids car, something you'd see and 18 year old driving so it makes me a little hesitant but its the most affordable, slightly fun, new car I have found.

my neighbor had a tacoma like this that I really wanted
Image result for 2010 tacoma access cab 33s

Image result for subaru brz lowered

Deftone

Reaction score
I have to have a truck for my lifestyle. Towing, hauling...cars make no sense to me at all. I have two trucks a Jeep and an SUV for the wife. I'd take an SUV over a car. YMMV.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
The used pickup market is awful. High mileage, over priced, etc.

For a really practical car, I'd look at a used Mercedes GLK 350. It is like a Subaru Forester with a little more bling. There are tons of them coming off of lease, etc. with low miles and the prices are pretty decent. The Mercedes drivetrain should go forever, if properly cared for.

The Japanese pickups will go forever, too, which is why they are so pricey on the used market. My son really wants a Tacoma. I told him he's better off waiting until he's working full time (he's still in school) and leasing a new one. With pickups, you're better off leasing or buying a new one off the lot. Someone told me that lots of used pickups (especially the Japanese ones that will go forever) get shipped overseas which contributes to the lack of good inventory on the used market.

Honda Pilots get rave reviews, too.

Olds442

Reaction score
how often are you hauling stuff? trucks have downsides too as far as being bigger and fewer parking options depending on where you live.
the car isn't going to be as easy to get in and out of.

Minte

I need a snappy title
Reaction score
Since moving to the country, I got my first pickup and it's surprising how much use it gets. Mrs. M loves driving it too. It's a 2019 Chevy Colorado mostly loaded with options and it was just a little over 33g. Best value on a vehicle I found.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
sk8rat,

If you ever go to gigs or jams, you may have a problem getting your gear in the BRZ.

redjunior

Gak!.... Bozos!
Reaction score
Audi A6 Quattro wagon.... Best of both worlds, and you can fit a half stack in it...

elephantrider

Reaction score
I have to have a truck for farm work and moving hot rods around that we build. I couldn't be without a truck. having said that I have a golf 4 door tdi and I LOVE that car. doesn't get driven much, though.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
I have a 2011 Toyota RAV4 with the V6 engine that was discontinued after 2012. I’d recommend one of those. With the V6 it will out run the BRZ, and haul 75 cubic feet of whatever. Mine has about 32K miles, and has a KBB private party resale value of around $14K, and it is loaded. It rides and handles well and has comfortable seating. If you could find a pre 2013 RAV4 with the V6, it would merit consideration.

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
Personally

Too many potential tickets with that car.

and if you think you might need a truck.
You probably could use a truck.

and that's and awesome truck.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
El Camino

Best of both worlds
I have been eyeing two locally. I'd pull the trigger as a rebuild project with my son. We've been making light of El Caminos and Rancheros since he was born.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Since moving to the country, I got my first pickup and it's surprising how much use it gets. Mrs. M loves driving it too. It's a 2019 Chevy Colorado mostly loaded with options and it was just a little over 33g. Best value on a vehicle I found.
People love mid sized pickups. I am surprised that the market hasn't been oversaturated with product.

Latest Threads