Capacitor guys- any of these any good?

Leotis

Reaction score
I found these old caps when I was going through some of my dad's stuff after he passed. I know the values are right, some for Strats, some for LP's/335's...but I was wondering if any of these were the much ballyhooed "vintage caps" that everyone seems to make such a fuss over? My pop was an electronics tech from the early 60's thru the mid 90's.

Tone_Caps.jpg

Gary

Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your dad passing. Deepest condolences.

Left to right, then top to bottom....

Orange Drop
Polyester
Silver mica
Ceramic
Silver mica

The only way to tell f you like one would be to attach it to your tone control with clip leads and listen to them all. Choose the one that you like the sound.

5F6-A

Reaction score
The old ceramic could sound nice on Fenders. I use a similar one with my Strat but I have admit that I use a 500k pot.

Leotis

Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your dad passing. Deepest condolences.

Left to right, then top to bottom....

Orange Drop
Polyester
Silver mica
Ceramic
Silver mica

The only way to tell f you like one would be to attach it to your tone control with clip leads and listen to them all. Choose the one that you like the sound.
Thanks... he was a really good man. Had a brilliant mind...ravaged by Alzheimer's.

I'm familiar with the composition... I was more wondering if anyone could tell by sight if any of these were some of the "vintage good stuff" people rave about?

I definitely am interested in trying out the .1uf ceramic disc.

jvin248

Reaction score

They don't look like the collectible ones.. Maybe the little metal one.

Old caps dry out over time, ok for a guitar but not inside an amp.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

They don't look like the collectible ones.. Maybe the little metal one.

Old caps dry out over time, ok for a guitar but not inside an amp.

Old electrolytics

jbash

Reaction score
Condolences. I went through the same thing with my Dad.

As for the caps- I'm not much help.

Leotis

Reaction score
Condolences. I went through the same thing with my Dad.
It was absolutely awful. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. He went from being able to fix anything you put in front of him to forgetting how to do even the most basic of bodily functions...like defecating. I know that probably sounds like TMI, but I only mention it because it absolutely broke me. I didn't even know it was possible to forget something like that.

jbash

Reaction score
It was absolutely awful. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. He went from being able to fix anything you put in front of him to forgetting how to do even the most basic of bodily functions...like defecating. I know that probably sounds like TMI, but I only mention it because it absolutely broke me. I didn't even know it was possible to forget something like that.
No worries, been there done that, as they say.. My Mom and myself were my Dad's only caregivers so I know exactly what you are talking about. When my Dad was diagnosed, there were just a few experimental drugs, and not as much was known about Alzheimers as today. He got to that point physically, and he also became extremely violent. Eventually he had a seizure which killed nearly all brain function (seizure was likely caused by experimental medication), and we let him go. It was actually a blessing in disguise..

Important thing- What you saw was the disease, not your Dad. Remember your Dad. :)

Leotis

Reaction score
Yep...I keep the memory of who he was before the disease. I used to say that his body was still here, but he was gone long before that. He became extremely violent too...alternating with fits of crying and terror and confusion. Any little change in his environment would set him off, like if his sheets happened to still be in the wash and his bed was unmade when he got ready to go to bed. That was as traumatizing to him, it seemed, as someone burning our house down would be to you or me. Soooo emotionally draining and heartbreaking to watch his deterioration.

jimmyjames

Reaction score
Hey Guys, I've been there too, my Stepmum, then my Dad 10 yrs later. Life is not always fair, and no decent person deserves to end their days in this way. Be comforted that you stayed by their side and showed them love until the end. I tell my kids, every adult person you pass in the street has endured one or more kicks in the guts, some way more than their fair share. Big props to you, treasure your good memories of these great people, and continue to love every day.

kungpow!

Reaction score
The ones that are worth something, for guitar use, are paper in oil, PIO, like old sprague, Astron, bumblebees etc. None of those pictured are PIO. They're garden variety.

Latest Threads