cap to tone pot questions

bj4rd

Reaction score
I currently have my guitar in the modern wiring which I prefer over the 50s wiring. I did notice that in one of my LPs I have the cap wired to the end lug of the tone pot and the center lug is grounded. All of the modern wiring diagrams I have seen have the cap going to the center lug of the tone pot and the end lug goes to ground. I don't really hear any difference between this one and my other guitars. Does it matter which lug the cap goes to on the tone pot?

Also, I have seen the seymour duncan diagrams where the cap is not wired in between the volume and tone pot but is wired between the tone pot and ground. Does that make any difference in sound?

jonesy

GLOBAL WIRING GURU
Reaction score
IMO It does not make any difference to what lug on the Tone pot the cap is wired to, the lug on the Volume pot is what matters. One lug is the connection from the switch (50's) the other is the lead from your pu (modern)

The caps tied right back to the Tone pots is another form of modern wiring, it will also sound slightly different. Try it for yourself and see what you think YMMV

korus

Reaction score
I am very happy for those who can distinguish whether tone pot is connected cap->pot->ground or pot->cap->ground. I can not.

Mookakian

Reaction score
[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"
The caps tied right back to the Tone pots is another form of modern wiring, it will also sound slightly different. Try it for yourself and see what you think YMMV[/COLOR]

Not sure what you mean by "The caps tied right back to the Tone pots"
Im guessing each cap is wired to the tone pot only? If so, wich lugs do you connect them?:hmm:

jonesy

GLOBAL WIRING GURU
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by "The caps tied right back to the Tone pots"
Im guessing each cap is wired to the tone pot only? If so, wich lugs do you connect them?:hmm:

Like this....

2h_2v_2t_3w.jpg

Mookakian

Reaction score
:thumb: I owe you one Jonsey, expect a little gift in the near future to show my many thanks. Im almost tempted to try it on the JP kit, LOL, almost, but then i say "dont be an idiot" and go back to the trial/error project:laugh2:

Mookakian

Reaction score
Does the same theory apply for strat setups with the single Cap?

jonesy

GLOBAL WIRING GURU
Reaction score
Does the same theory apply for strat setups with the single Cap?

Yeah I guess you could compare the way the Tone cap is wired up on a Strat to modern wiring. (Treble bleeds often used) You will also so that on P and J bass guitars, and some Tele's. I prefer to use more of a 50's style wiring on my Tele's. Check out these links for more wiring diagrams...
Wiring Diagrams - Seymour Duncan/Basslines
Fender Support Wiring/Parts Diagrams

:thumb: I owe you one Jonsey, expect a little gift in the near future to show my many thanks. Im almost tempted to try it on the JP kit, LOL, almost, but then i say "dont be an idiot" and go back to the trial/error project:laugh2:
It's all good bro glad to help out, no need to send gifts. I actually wired up my first Jimmy Page rigs using the Seymour Duncan diagram with the caps wired back to the Tone pots and didn't care for the treble loss when volumes are rolled off. That was one of the main reasons I switched over to the way I wire up the JP rigs now. ;)

snaredrum

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
jonesy (or whoever else) what does the Hillbilly wiring do? anything interesting?

jonesy

GLOBAL WIRING GURU
Reaction score
I have heard the term "hilbilly wiring" or "hillbilly channel switching" in a few posts here at MLPF but I don't recall what it actually is???

tazzboy

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If want to get down to it Hillbilly wiring is actually called 50s wiring with independent volume Control.

wiring50sInd.jpg

Armitage

Reaction score
IMO It does not make any difference to what lug on the Tone pot the cap is wired to,

Absolutely. I makes zero (and I don't mean even a tiny bit) of difference in tone. If anyone claims to hear a difference, it's because they changed something else while they did it.

Latest Threads