Cant find the sound with my chambered standard...

F Rock

Reaction score
Hello All,
I love my 2008 LP standard. It's light, and it looks and plays great.
It has the chambered body and '57 classic p'ups in there.
It has a great sound.. A unique and bright sound. But it's not my sound.
I Have an 800 series marshall, a v series tube crate, and several vintage ampegs, all tube amps.
I use a tone similar to Brad Gillis's sound on the Ozzy Osbourne "Speak of the devil" album.
My chambered '08 LP Standard will not get that sound; not effectively; not without a ton of unwanted feedback and noise. Sounds sparkly and nice on the clean channel, but quite noisy under high gain. Has great clarity tho...
I want this guitar to be my #1; but it is not. My #1 is an ibanez artist. That thing will do the high gain like a dream without any unwanted noise. It's solid mahogany without chambering.
Has anyone had a similar experience with a chambered lp, and if so, what did you do?

I have two old (1981) Matsumoku (?) Vantage Les paul copies. They both have mahogany bodies with a "Arched" (chambered) birch plywood top. They play fantastic, but sound very much like my chambered les paul, with a little less noise. So i'm thinking this tone is coming from the chambered bodies.

I dont want to put a distortion pickup in there; i've usually been able to get my sound with stockish pickups.
My explorer had the sound. I think it had 498R and 500T gibson pickups in there.
My'79 les paul custom had the sound. It had Seymore Duncan JB's in there.
My Paul Stanley Iceman has the sound. It has the stock V2's in there.
My Ibanez artist has the sound. I dunnop what pickups are in there but they are like 14 ohms. they arent any louder tho. they came stock with the guitar and are not distortion types.
I know i can get the sound that i want from a les paul but i'm wondering if i can get that sound from a chambered les paul?
Ozzy, Symptom of the universe, brad gillis sound here: Ozzy Osbourne - Symptom Of The Universe (Live 1982 Speak of the Devil) - YouTube
Brad is using a highly modified '62 strat.

ARandall

Reaction score
Some guitars, for whatever reason, just do certain things better than others.

There is little point trying to force something (or by extension someone) to be something that they are not.
You can either explore other tones with that guitar and expand your repertoire, or stick with the one tone and buy another guitar that will do that one tone.

AJK1

Reaction score
Hello All,
I love my 2008 LP standard. It's light, and it looks and plays great.
It has the chambered body and '57 classic p'ups in there.
It has a great sound.. A unique and bright sound. But it's not my sound.
I Have an 800 series marshall, a v series tube crate, and several vintage ampegs, all tube amps.
I use a tone similar to Brad Gillis's sound on the Ozzy Osbourne "Speak of the devil" album.
My chambered '08 LP Standard will not get that sound; not effectively; not without a ton of unwanted feedback and noise. Sounds sparkly and nice on the clean channel, but quite noisy under high gain. Has great clarity tho...
I want this guitar to be my #1; but it is not. My #1 is an ibanez artist. That thing will do the high gain like a dream without any unwanted noise. It's solid mahogany without chambering.
Has anyone had a similar experience with a chambered lp, and if so, what did you do?

I have two old (1981) Matsumoku (?) Vantage Les paul copies. They both have mahogany bodies with a "Arched" (chambered) birch plywood top. They play fantastic, but sound very much like my chambered les paul, with a little less noise. So i'm thinking this tone is coming from the chambered bodies.

I dont want to put a distortion pickup in there; i've usually been able to get my sound with stockish pickups.
My explorer had the sound. I think it had 498R and 500T gibson pickups in there.
My'79 les paul custom had the sound. It had Seymore Duncan JB's in there.
My Paul Stanley Iceman has the sound. It has the stock V2's in there.
My Ibanez artist has the sound. I dunnop what pickups are in there but they are like 14 ohms. they arent any louder tho. they came stock with the guitar and are not distortion types.
I know i can get the sound that i want from a les paul but i'm wondering if i can get that sound from a chambered les paul?
Ozzy, Symptom of the universe, brad gillis sound here: Ozzy Osbourne - Symptom Of The Universe (Live 1982 Speak of the Devil) - YouTube
Brad is using a highly modified '62 strat.
Stick a JB in it and see what happens

freefrog

Reaction score
Stick a JB in it and see what happens
+1.

As a matter of fact, F Rock, if your LP Custom had the sound with a JB, it seems logical to try the same pickup in another LP.... Especially if we consider that JB's are stock bridge pickups in the most expensive Fernandes Gillis models... Furthermore, several of the guitars that you mention host high DCR pickups: Gibson 500T, 14 KILO Ohm Ibz PU's (regardless of hotness, a high DCR will tend to bring in a higher inductance contributing to a warmer sound).

Now and to answer to the tittle of this topic...
Firstly, I agree with ARandall above.
More precisely, I mean that I don't consider as easy to obtain the sound of a modified Strat from any LP. There's way more at play than a simple question of chambered body here - a Strat having not only different materials and construction but also a different scale... and being "chambered" to some extent, BTW: the cavity for tremolo springs often has an influence on the acoustic resonance of a Strat (one of my Strats resonates as if it had a built in reverb just because of the tremolo springs, FWIW).

Anyway, I've already "tuned" a chambered LP to make it sound thick with low DCR pickups. So I don't tend to incriminate chambered bodies for their tone. There's various ways to obtain a heavier acoustic resonance and/or a warmer tone from the electronics in such cases, although it often requires a good bit of experiments.

Good luck in your quest.

Last edited:

hbucker

Reaction score
I agree that the answer lies with replacing the pickups, whether they are "distortion" pickups or not. Find the ones with a voice specifically geared toward what you're wanting to offset in your current tone. This could involve some trial and error and $$. But I do understand your desire to change the tone.

Other than just accepting the guitar for what it is, this is your only option (outside of changing amp settings/EQ- which costs nothing). You'll probably always be able to distinguish its tone from other guitars in your collection. But I think that's a good thing.

Amp/EQ/pickups. Your answer lies here.

eddie_bowers

Reaction score
This has nothing to do with chambering. It’s all the pickups.

AJK1

Reaction score
Seems weird that F Rock hasn’t replied in any way

F Rock

Reaction score
Thanks guys I've ordered two Duncan JB's; I'll put one in one of my vantage copies, and one in my les paul.
I'm hoping they'll arrive here tomorrow.
I'm getting used to the tone as it is; but the weird thing is this: on high gain it sounds good but there seems to be another sound, like a snare drum buzzing, at the same time? that's the best I an describe it... ad it's not justmy les paul; the vantage les paul copies also do it. It's also very noisey; when I stand near the amp.
Yeah I said "distortion pickup" lol... forgive me I've been out of it for a while and couldnt remember the name, Super distortion humbucker. I tried those in the '70's but didnt like 'em.

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Reaction score
on high gain it sounds good but there seems to be another sound, like a snare drum buzzing, at the same time? that's the best I an describe it... ad it's not justmy les paul; the vantage les paul copies also do it. It's also very noisey; when I stand near the amp.
Just a guess here but since it happens on more than one guitar, is it possible you have a preamp tube going microphonic on you?

Snare drum like buzz and noise..... I'm no amp guru, but that's what it sounds like you are describing.

F Rock

Reaction score
No, it only happens on three of my guitars, and they all have chambers; that's why I posted the question.
My fender, 2015 LPM, and Ibanez guitars do not make the buzz sound I've described.

freefrog

Reaction score
Thanks guys I've ordered two Duncan JB's; I'll put one in one of my vantage copies, and one in my les paul.
I'm hoping they'll arrive here tomorrow.
I'm getting used to the tone as it is; but the weird thing is this: on high gain it sounds good but there seems to be another sound, like a snare drum buzzing, at the same time? that's the best I an describe it... ad it's not justmy les paul; the vantage les paul copies also do it. It's also very noisey; when I stand near the amp.
Yeah I said "distortion pickup" lol... forgive me I've been out of it for a while and couldnt remember the name, Super distortion humbucker. I tried those in the '70's but didnt like 'em.
Might be "double tones". Do a Google search with these words or, to keep it short, just listen the first notes here:

And anyway, enjoy with your future JB's...

Latest Threads