can't decide on a studio

aeolian_mode

Reaction score
I'm looking at 3 guitars right now a 98 studio a 01 studio and a 07 studio i was dead set on the 07 before i found out that all 07+ are now chambered so it might be the 98 or 01 is there that much different between the 98 and 01 or is the 07 still worth looking at?

aeolian_mode

Reaction score
theres also a 93 i was looking at is there much difference in these guitars wood pickups build quality?

Alex

Administrator
Super Mod
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you looked into the Vintage Mahogany LP Studio? It's basically an all-mahogany (no maple top) with BurstBucker pros. Most of them are not chambered. They're a bargain, too. The only negs I can think of about the VM Studio are the following:

- Might be too dark sounding for your taste (again, no maple top).
- They're delicate and scratch and bruise easily.

They go for $800 at MF: Buy Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogany Electric Guitar online at Musician's Friend

aeolian_mode

Reaction score
i've played thoses and i think the are nice looking guitars but I'm kinda set on the wine red and maple top plus i would ruin that thin finish. btw have you played any of the chambered lps and if so how would you compare the tone and sustain to one of the older ones?

Rock Star

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi. I own and play a chambered LP Standard and IMO it has great tone and sustain, not to mention the weight factor. The chambered LPs won't sound like the solid bodies that's for sure. Each has a characteristic life and tone of their own.

Kuroyama

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
AM

I also have a VM Studio. Love it, Love it, Love it. I even broke a cardinal rule and sold another guitar to put together scratch for it. Even though I currently want to buy back my old guitar... if it turns out that I cannot, thats fine. Im happy I got the VM

coldsteal2

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at 3 guitars right now a 98 studio a 01 studio and a 07 studio i was dead set on the 07 before i found out that all 07+ are now chambered so it might be the 98 or 01 is there that much different between the 98 and 01 or is the 07 still worth looking at?
I dont know where you got that the 07's are chamberd
i just bought an 07' Antique White Studio, and its not chambered.

scozz

Reaction score
If I not mistaken, (and I don't believe I am) ALL the 07 LPs are chambered.

LoKi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Some of the 90's Studio's *the alpine white ones* came with ebony fingerboards, which I think is preferable on a Studio... evens out the the tone a little bit... for some reason Studios get really dense mahogany. My old Wine Red Studio was the heaviest guitar I've ever owned, which is why I no longer have it! :(

If it had come with the ebony fingerboard it might have brightened up the tone enough to counter that hulking slab they gave me...

Just a thought! They're all great, but depending on what your looking to spend, I'd base my decision on overal condition and playability. Sound can be tweaked with pickups or mods, but you can't make a shitty guitar play good, or a beater look new without spending big bucks.

Of course, looks have never mattered to me, but some guitars had a really rough life and it affects the playability, which is not good y0!

coldsteal2

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I dont know where you got that the 07's are chamberd
i just bought an 07' Antique White Studio, and its not chambered.
I wonder why Gibson doesn tell you that, or any of
the salespeople or music sites.
Its no big deal, just nice to know first.
My Studio weighs 9.5 pounds,
i also have a Les Paul that says its chambered and weights
7.5 pounds. Thats why i had a hard time believeing
the Studio is chambered. It must be slightly chamberd.
My Chambered Les Paul is way too light, and it head heavy,
but the new Studio feels and balaces like an old Les Paul, feels heavy.
Oh well, learn something new every day
thanks

viva_Joost

Reaction score
I've got a LP Studio (mid '90), all black with ebony fretboard, nickel hardware, thick neck, trapezium inlays, sounds amazing and looks cool with colored strings, I use black ones from DR.
Never heard of chambered Studio's before ..... mine is heavy
__________Joost

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I almost bought a Faded Mahogany from Guitar center. They had a radio advertised special that week and were selling their remaining few at 699.99. It actually sounded and played very nice... I just couldn't forget about the Candy Apple used SG standard down the street...

Maybe it was the pickups, but it didn't sound that dard to me. I would imagine it would scream with burstbuckers in it, maybe even take some of that high end bite off that some people don't like.

What about the limited edition stuido in matte back with EMG's and an ebony fingerboard....

Latest Threads