Cannot intonate at Drop C

ChrisLesPaul2

Reaction score
My G and low E strings cannot go back far enough to intonate in Drop C.

I have new strings (12’s) with the correct relief, action, and pickup heights. My Les paul is an epiphone Standard 2004.

are there any after market bridges that can solve my problem?

Last edited:

Elmore

Reaction score
You can try turning the bridge around so the saddle screws face the opposite direction. Or like northernguitarguy said, turn the saddles themselves around. Yes I have seen bridges with more saddle space. Do a google search on harmonica bridge.

ChrisLesPaul2

Reaction score
You can try turning the bridge around so the saddle screws face the opposite direction. Or like northernguitarguy said, turn the saddles themselves around. Yes I have seen bridges with more saddle space. Do a google search on harmonica bridge.
I have turned the whole bridge around, and I have turned the individual saddles around. Neither helps.

are any harmonics bridges direct drop in replacements?

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Premium Member
Reaction score
All of the above and I would add to try heavier strings.

A heavier string has more mass and vibrates slower than a lighter one for the same length and tension.

Also is your bridge an ABR style that could be swapped with a Nashville style? That would get you more room.

Used for illustration only because it shows both types..

Roxy13

Reaction score
ABRs are skinny bridges. A Gotoh Nashville style will probably have enough room for you. I had to put one on a MIJ Edwards for someone who drop tunes after I ran out of intonation room on the G string even after flipping it. That solved the problem.

mr.coleslaw

Reaction score
Sorry to say that, but for dropped C playing a Les Paul is the wrong guitar due to its 628mm scale length. Dropped D will work with .11 or .12 strings, but for dropped C you should use a guitar with at least 635mm (PRS measure) or better 648mm (Fender measure).

ChrisLesPaul2

Reaction score
Sorry to say that, but for dropped C playing a Les Paul is the wrong guitar due to its 628mm scale length. Dropped D will work with .11 or .12 strings, but for dropped C you should use a guitar with at least 635mm (PRS measure) or better 648mm (Fender measure).
Hmmm. I like the idea of buying a new guitar. I’m think Charvel as I love Gojira, they are affordable, and they are built for metal. They’re also made by Fender.

I’ve never really bonded with my Les Paul to be honest. The feel is always wrong.

mr.coleslaw

Reaction score
Charvels are great for dropped tuning and metal. My recommendation: look what type of guitars the dudes are playing which use a dropped C tunig. There are several types of guitars available with an even longer 665mm scale like a Fender or Charvel.

AJK1

Reaction score
Correct

ChrisLesPaul2

Reaction score
Problem Solved

All of the above and I would add to try heavier strings.

A heavier string has more mass and vibrates slower than a lighter one for the same length and tension.

Also is your bridge an ABR style that could be swapped with a Nashville style? That would get you more room.

Used for illustration only because it shows both types..
I bought a GOTOH Nashville bridge that fits right into the existing post holes. The low C is intoned all the back still, but it intones!

I do have the screws facing backwards though To get More intonation room, which I needed.

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Premium Member
Reaction score
Problem Solved

I bought a GOTOH Nashville bridge that fits right into the existing post holes. The low C is intoned all the back still, but it intones!

I do have the screws facing backwards though To get More intonation room, which I needed.
:applause::thumb:

Glad it worked for ya!

Enjoy!

Latest Threads