Reaction score
Broken English.
Fake question on first post.
Detailed pictures.
No link to ad or auction.

Can't everyone smell that rat?

fsenseman

Reaction score
....if you can't tell a fake from a real one , you don't need a real one. any will do. trust me.

Well, there are some of us who are new to higher end electric guitars in general, and Gibsons in particular, and most folks won't share why they think it's a fake. (I do understand why) Legitimate requests for help are ok in my mind. Not that I consider this one to be so.

Mule Train

Reaction score
I don't know why I get upset about fakes. I would have before
I owned a Les Paul. Maybe it is the player in all of us respecting the player, innovator and all around world class music man.

atheos

Reaction score
good friend of mine nearly bought a fake over the weekend, and he owns a standard. Thankfully, He sent me a pic before he dropped down the cash. I don't even think he was aware of the counterfeiting issue with guitars when I told him to put the kabosh on the sale.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 68

campbellj

Reaction score
Still suprising that so many folks don't know the tell tale signs of an imposter.:wow:

They would if they hung around MLP more often :applause:

good friend of mine nearly bought a fake over the weekend, and he owns a standard. Thankfully, He sent me a pic before he dropped down the cash. I don't even think he was aware of the counterfeiting issue with guitars when I told him to put the kabosh on the sale.

Some people just don't know, that's just it, I had an idea there could be fakes but had no clue how extensive it was until I joined this forum. Spam or not because of threads like this I am learning how to spot fakes which is good. And maybe if this thread was market research it could have put a stop to this guitar going to some unsuspecting person, at least I hope it did.

floyd84

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I didn't even click to enlarge the pics :laugh2: that's how fake

planks

Reaction score
Broken English.
Fake question on first post.
Detailed pictures.
No link to ad or auction.

Can't everyone smell that rat?

Yes, it's there.

Wasn't there a thread (from one of the mods?) once, that we should not answer that kind of first posts ..... not sure, but seem to remember something about it.

topcat 70

Reaction score
He knew it was fake,dont know what he thought he would get out of us telling him.There must be a reason to ask!

tdbear1us

Reaction score
Yes, it's there.

Wasn't there a thread (from one of the mods?) once, that we should not answer that kind of first posts ..... not sure, but seem to remember something about it.

Unbelievable amount of 1st time posters asking if a Les Paul is real...! [/QUOTE]

Too bad we can't limit these requests. It is obviously a fake. We need to make a separate page for posters that need info on fakes that you get a simple yes or no and no reason why it would be a fake:hmm: and maybe limit it to posters with 50 or 100 posts also. Better idea's anybody?

ToneasaurusRex

Reaction score
Unbelievable amount of 1st time posters asking if a Les Paul is real...!

Too bad we can't limit these requests. It is obviously a fake. We need to make a separate page for posters that need info on fakes that you get a simple yes or no and no reason why it would be a fake:hmm: and maybe limit it to posters with 50 or 100 posts also. Better idea's anybody?

Better ideas? Yes.

Counterfeiting is a huge problem with Ibanez guitars as well and Jemsite has one master thread to post all "real or fake" questions. It's stickied, it gets attention, and any stand-alone thread asking for verification gets closed or deleted promptly.

As for the "suspicious first-time poster" issue, I really doubt that counterfeiters are coming on here posing as customers to educate themselves on luthiery. They don't want to make a fake that will fool educated buyers and Gibson experts, but rather a fake that will fool the ignorant. If you own a guitar factory in China, you have enough scratch to get a real JEM, Strat, or Les Paul and reverse-engineer it. You don't need us.

A plausible scenario with the first-time posters is that they're guitarists who know that counterfeits exist and want to protect themselves. So they google "fake Les Pauls" and get this forum. They just don't want to debate guard on or guard off, Standard v. Traditional, whatever. Not all hobbyists want to talk about their hobby on an internet forum.

Peace

Rex

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've suggested it before, we need a Authenticity sub-forum and let all the threads get posted in there. Mods can move anything from the regular forums there to keep it all in one place. Hopefully, while someone is in there getting ready to post "Is this fake?" they may see some other threads and read up a little and see other fakes and learn a thing or two.

JimmyT

Reaction score
Better ideas? Yes.

Counterfeiting is a huge problem with Ibanez guitars as well and Jemsite has one master thread to post all "real or fake" questions. It's stickied, it gets attention, and any stand-alone thread asking for verification gets closed or deleted promptly.

As for the "suspicious first-time poster" issue, I really doubt that counterfeiters are coming on here posing as customers to educate themselves on luthiery. They don't want to make a fake that will fool educated buyers and Gibson experts, but rather a fake that will fool the ignorant. If you own a guitar factory in China, you have enough scratch to get a real JEM, Strat, or Les Paul and reverse-engineer it. You don't need us.

A plausible scenario with the first-time posters is that they're guitarists who know that counterfeits exist and want to protect themselves. So they google "fake Les Pauls" and get this forum. They just don't want to debate guard on or guard off, Standard v. Traditional, whatever. Not all hobbyists want to talk about their hobby on an internet forum.

Peace

Rex

+1 They don't need our input to get closer to the real thing (which I don't think they're trying to do anyway) all they need to do is look at some pictures of a real one. And the Les Paul enthusiasts on this site aren't the ones they're trying to fool (they're not going to), they're after the first-time, ignorant buyers and those in the second-hand market.

kriskey

Reaction score
It should be pointed out that if they actually start making fake Les Pauls that are indistinguishable from real Les Pauls by experts, that this --in fact -- would be absolutely freaking awesome.

I would personally love to buy a guitar identical to a Les Paul in every way but cheaper. I suppose if I worked for Les Paul I might have a different opinion, but luckily I don't.

jmg257

Reaction score
It should be pointed out that if they actually start making fake Les Pauls that are indistinguishable from real Les Pauls by experts, that this --in fact -- would be absolutely freaking awesome.

I would personally love to buy a guitar identical to a Les Paul in every way but cheaper. I suppose if I worked for Les Paul I might have a different opinion, but luckily I don't.

Doesn't matter how awesome you think it would be, they would still be illegal to sell and buy and own.

Really sad that some sleazy ass posers will gladly deal in contraband just to save a few bucks. Idiots like that is why we need to worry about this shit in the 1st place.

It is VERY lucky you don't work for Les Paul, as he passed away a while ago...might have a real hard time getting paid. Anyway, I don't get what that would have to do with determining your willingness to buy fake/illegal Gibson guitars.

Hey OP Roop,

REALLY hard to tell this one is fake, I wouldn't change a thing!

VDeuce

Reaction score
Perhaps those asking if they are fakes are testing the waters to see if the guitars would pass...

Latest Threads