Can you only get Plain Tops with R8's

KBMelb

Reaction score
I remember the 2015 True Historic marketing materials said '58s and '59s had the "same" neck profile which I found to be true in the few TH59s I played compared to my TH58. Even played a TH57 that had a very similar neck profile. I feel like than ran with that for a few years.

BSeneca

Reaction score
The only differences between an R8 and an R9 are:

- The figuring of the maple cap
- The neck thickness
- The Price

The only difference that is certain the price. I’ve seen R8s with figured tops tha are more attractive than many R9s, and I’ve owned A couple different of R8s with smaller necks than the R9s I’ve owned. IMO, there is no reason the seek an R9 over an R8.
This is sound advice. I have owned four R8’s with more figure than two R9’s I have owned. The single most amazing reissue I owned was a plain top tobacco R8 (Sold to fund my 1952 Goldtop). I still miss that guitar. I currently do own an R9 because it was just “right”. But as many have said you are paying for highly figured tops on an R9. That is REALLY the only major difference and doesn’t effect tone one single bit! Look R8 all day. And don’t sell older model years short. Unless you really care about the right inlays(cause lord knows they sound better) or proper knobs blah blah blah. If you’re a player buy an R8. Rant over.