Can you knowledgeable folks confirm this as a true Custom?

PierM

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not interested in it. The price made to "to good to be true", but the bridge posts looked correct and the truss rod cover only had two screws. The white outline on the truss rod cover is pretty much non existant though. That's why I asked the seller for more pictures and posted on here. If it turned out to be the deal of the century, I didn't want to pass it up. I'm not great at spotting the better fakes, but I learn a little more with each post similar to this one. Thanks MLP!!!

Shaun

For customs, the first thing I would check it's the headstock to neck binding. I have never seen a chinese fake with that part correctly done, because it does require different construction. So, as a very first check, I would control this;

Untitled_3.jpg

Mr. Satchmo

Reaction score
Looks pretty good to my untrained eye. The TRC looks legit. Gold hardware, the headstock looks good, the shape maybe suspect. I don't know, maybe someone will come and say it's a fake. Nice nick though.

Seriously? Hahah the headstock is absolutely wrong, also the diamond is way too small

ehamady6

Reaction score
The split diamond is too small. Fakes rarely get this right:
00Z0Z_3UaGSIXgsUx_600x450.jpg

Here's how it looks on mine:
full

Last edited by a moderator:

scozz

Reaction score
Fake as fake can be...rosewood board, binding at the nut, nut is too tall, small inlay, gold screws on the pickup rings, TRC is wrong, tailpiece is too far away from the bridge, black plastic toggle switch tip, should be cream. I'm sure there is probably more with better pics. Definitely a chibson!

Latearrival

Reaction score
Fake as fake can be...rosewood board, binding at the nut, nut is too tall, small inlay, gold screws on the pickup rings, TRC is wrong, tailpiece is too far away from the bridge, black plastic toggle switch tip, should be cream. I'm sure there is probably more with better pics. Definitely a chibson!

Yes - I got that! + line of the tuners is wrong (follows the shape of the headstock, not a straight line) TRC - terrible!

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
"Selling guitar collection. Last guitar in set is a Les Paul I've had in its case for years. No papers. Unsure of its background.
Selling with case. Moving soon. Provide your own amp I've sold mine."

Unsure of its background.
Scruples will kill it every time!
:D

JM2112

Reaction score
Crooked "Gibson" logo and rosewood fretboard on a Custom were the dead giveaways for me.

(That's why I hate rosewood on Customs, it makes me think Chibson first)

There are legitimate LP Customs with rosewood, especially after Gibson's wood importation issues from back in 2011 and 2012.

scozz

Reaction score
There are legitimate LP Customs with rosewood, especially after Gibson's wood importation issues from back in 2011 and 2012.

Really, is that true? I've never seen a Gibson LP Custom with a rosewood fingerboard. Maybe I'm wrong but when they had fingerboard wood acquisition problems they went with Richlite for fingerboards. When did they have rosewood?

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are Customs with rosewood and maduro as well. The ones I've seen were around the 2011-2012 era, like JM2112 stated. However, that being said, it's usually a quick way to tell a fake and the one at the top of this thread is definitely fake.

331151_369314239747397_269428026402686_1472805_584276071_o.jpg

1363050531-P1090240.JPG-original.jpg

FingerLakesFan

Reaction score
The page is no longer there, so I guess that answered your question! =)

Lefty Adams

Reaction score
Seriously? Hahah the headstock is absolutely wrong, also the diamond is way too small
OK mate i admitted i was wrong, no need to rip me a new one for chrissakes .... I am still learning, sorry about that oh great one

93studiolite

Reaction score
Yeah, I never heard back from him about pictures either. Thanks for all the information. I don't know if I'll ever have the money for a custom, but at least I have more ways of spotting the fakes.

Shaun

bum

Reaction score
OK mate i admitted i was wrong, no need to rip me a new one for chrissakes .... I am still learning, sorry about that oh great one

Don't sweat it mate, headstocks can look right or wrong depending on photo angle and that inlay, while a touch small, was one of the better ones I have seen.

scozz

Reaction score
There are Customs with rosewood and maduro as well. The ones I've seen were around the 2011-2012 era, like JM2112 stated. However, that being said, it's usually a quick way to tell a fake and the one at the top of this thread is definitely fake.

Learn something everyday. Thanks for the correction TD! :thumb:

Latest Threads