Can you guys help me with my mixer?

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I have 2 mixing boards. An older peavey, and an Allen and Heath ZEDI 10FX. I much prefer the Allen and Heath and have been trying to use it for the duo but I am having an issue that hopefully someone can help me with. The first four channels are regular XLR channels but I am using the 5th channel ( stereo inputs) to mic my amp. I am using 2 seperate mics and running one into each of the two 1/4" jacks. I am getting very little volume. Even with the gain cranked its hardly anything. I know I am doing something wrong. I don't want to go back to the bigger peavey board if I can avoid it.

SGeoff

Reaction score
My small mixer is like that too. the 1/4 jack inputs are nowhere near as powerful as the XLR. I use the XLR for mikes because of that, and use the 1/4 inch jacks for other equipment.

rogue3

Reaction score
My small mixer is like that too. the 1/4 jack inputs are nowhere near as powerful as the XLR. I use the XLR for mikes because of that, and use the 1/4 inch jacks for other equipment.
^ this.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Mics need mic preamps. Those are only located on the channels with XLR inputs.
Can I run a guitar through it or same deal? I do not like the peavey mixer as well but may have to just learn to like it.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Can I run a guitar through it or same deal? I do not like the peavey mixer as well but may have to just learn to like it.
Just like microphones, raw guitar signals are very weak. Those 1/4" inputs are for line level equipment. Like the output of a keyboard or a playback device like a cd player or an iPod etc...

Dolebludger

Reaction score
IDK, but my mixer is a six channel Yamaha passive (cost $160) and the speakers are Mackie Thump 12” which are powered ($250 each). I can run my acoustic cheap bridge pup and battery power through the 1/4” inputs fine. I have some ancient (50s and 60s) mics with only 1/4” plugs that have distinctive sounds that do well through this PA rig.

So my theory on mixers and speakers is that power amp mixers with passive speakers are crap. I do much better with a mixer that is only a control + preamp running to powered speakers. The parametric EQ on my powered speakers helps me control feedback. This rig is much better than my former rigs with powered mixers and passive speakers, and didn’t cost much either.

Last edited:

efstop

Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
You can get 1/4" male to XLR male adapters. I have one to plug an H&K RedBox into my old Yamaha mixer as it only does line in at the mixer end.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Efstop,

You are absolutely correct, and I have a couple of those in my gear box. I didn’t think of that myself, because I didn’t know about impedance match between the mics/guitar and the OP’s mixer. But, those converters are cheap, and it is sure worth a try.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Went back to the bigger board tonight. I need a sound guy or some serious training. I have no issue when I was solo but trying to get everything sounding well blended PLUS both happy with ONE in ear mix is driving me nuts........ Last night my amp was squealing and buzzing.....tonight same amp quiet as a mouse. So along with everything else last night we had some shitty power. So if anyone has any pointers on a small power conditioner I would appreciate it.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Steve,

I don’t know how a bad power source could cause amp squealing, but I’m not an expert. I only know that a bad power source can cause hum or buzz in an amp. I hope someone knows more than I do. The only time I ever had “amp squealing” was a time when I was playing with too much gain from amp or FX, and with an acoustic, hollow body, or semi hollow guitar. Maybe a tech at Sweetwater could help.

And I know you have suggested a live sound forum here, with no results. I agree 110% that we need such., most of the players here do not have recording contracts. And those that do already have more advice than they want! The rest of us only play live. I’ll bet it is 99% of us.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Inam
Steve,

I don’t know how a bad power source could cause amp squealing, but I’m not an expert. I only know that a bad power source can cause hum or buzz in an amp. I hope someone knows more than I do. The only time I ever had “amp squealing” was a time when I was playing with too much gain from amp or FX, and with an acoustic, hollow body, or semi hollow guitar. Maybe a tech at Sweetwater could help.

And I know you have suggested a live sound forum here, with no results. I agree 110% that we need such., most of the players here do not have recording contracts. And those that do already have more advice than they want! The rest of us only play live. I’ll bet it is 99% of us.
I am clueless. I had an extra set of tubes with me so I swapped out all 5 and the squealing stopped but still terrible buzzing. Tonight dead quiet. Last night was just an all around bad show. Along with the equipment issues , for part of the night we had 3 people. As we were leaving a big group came in looking for us. Said they heard we were there and came over but we were done. I don't get it....TERRIBLE crowd in the exact same bar that went crazy for us last time. Last time bar tipped us an extra 100 plus we got close to that from the crowd. .... this time nothing at one point I believe we could have left and no one would have known. Bartender/manager was happy as a clam. I do not get it .......Tonight was great. Manager asked me to come back Friday night ( keiths band has a gig) and for more dates from the duo.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Oh yeah. Tonight hands down was the hottest gig ever. I have had sweat drip before but tonight,( I SWEAR) there was a steady drizzle running off of the brim of my cap. The bartender asked if we wanted a big fan but she had it blowing on customers so I declined. After our first set, the customers moved it and turned it on us. It was so hot I was getting woozy.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
IDK, but my mixer is a six channel Yamaha passive (cost $160) and the speakers are Mackie Thump 12” which are powered ($250 each). I can run my acoustic cheap bridge pup and battery power through the 1/4” inputs fine. I have some ancient (50s and 60s) mics with only 1/4” plugs that have distinctive sounds that do well through this PA rig.

So my theory on mixers and speakers is that power amp mixers with passive speakers are crap. I do much better with a mixer that is only a control + preamp running to powered speakers. The parametric EQ on my powered speakers helps me control feedback. This rig is much better than my former rigs with powered mixers and passive speakers, and didn’t cost much either.
That acoustic pickup will put out a big healthy signal, almost line level. Know why? Because it has a preamp....that's why it has a battery. Try that with a guitar that has a passive under saddle piezo transducer (no battery)....won't be pretty.

Powered speakers are generally friendlier than powered mixers, I agree. But you have to understand why.
1- speaker manufacturers can pair their speaker with just the right built in power amp.
2- power amp design today is way more efficient, light and powerful than older designs
3- powered mixers (which are pretty obsolete) used older technology for the power amps....they didn't have class D so they had to use class AB which costs money and weight to sound good. But they had to keep weight and cost down....therefore, crappy, underpowered mixers compared to today's powered speakers.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Went back to the bigger board tonight. I need a sound guy or some serious training. I have no issue when I was solo but trying to get everything sounding well blended PLUS both happy with ONE in ear mix is driving me nuts........ Last night my amp was squealing and buzzing.....tonight same amp quiet as a mouse. So along with everything else last night we had some shitty power. So if anyone has any pointers on a small power conditioner I would appreciate it.
Let me just ask. Did you follow RULE #1 ? Plug EVERYTHING into the same AC source?