Can you convince me HM improves tone?

Dr. Brown

Reaction score
Kim got me last year at Arlington when he put a HM guitar in my hands. The feel of the neck and lacquer!

Did my R8 improve in sound after the makeover? Oh yeah, but it is subjective as the pickups and caps were changed as well.
It sounds (and feels!) brighter unplugged, though.

The main difference to a Historic (and I have owned and played plenty) is the feel of the neck. The bevels on the edge of the fretboard binding, the hard (not sticky) lacquer, and the reshaped profile of the neck feel like a well worn glove.
I think the guitar makes me play (and sound) better.

Exactly. This. Right here. :applause:

goldtop0

Reaction score

For me that it'd be it right there........ in that one statement.
If you have a LP that is louder acoustically and better overall(neck, feel etc) than another LP(not plugged in) I've found that that tone and power/finesse etc whatever you want to call it naturally transfers when plugged in to an amp.This is from my own personal experience.

MiniB

Reaction score
If you have a LP that is louder acoustically and better overall(neck, feel etc) than another LP(not plugged in) I've found that that tone and power/finesse etc whatever you want to call it naturally transfers when plugged in to an amp.This is from my own personal experience.

Normally I would think so as well in a favorable sense, but recently I've found (or at least preferred) the opposite in one case when comparing tailpiece studs. The studs that made the guitar loudest and brightest acoustically (by a pretty substantial amount) made it colder and more grating/harder when plugged in. But of course, someone who finds a guitar on the muddy/unclear side may actually want that to couteract.

AngryHatter

Reaction score
Lessons make the player.

Sometimes - but telling me there are three pieces in the musical chain and to not include the player? The list is offset or skewed and therefore in error.

My fingers make the tone - whether I play an LP or a strat...sounds incredibly similar.

[sc]https://soundcloud.com/eband/constantchange[/sc]
[sc]https://soundcloud.com/eband/snappin-mah-gum[/sc]

Totally different guitars - One recorded on a marshall half stack, the other is a Pro Jr.
But they sound fundamentally the same.

AngryHatter

Reaction score

If the body is vibrating it is that many FEWER vibrations that are making it to the pickup. They are heating the body, instead.

MiniB

Reaction score
Sometimes - but telling me there are three pieces in the musical chain and to not include the player? The list is offset or skewed and therefore in error.
They all take money, though....so better save up. :naughty:

jamman

Reaction score
Kim got me last year at Arlington when he put a HM guitar in my hands. The feel of the neck and lacquer!

Did my R8 improve in sound after the makeover? Oh yeah, but it is subjective as the pickups and caps were changed as well.

The main difference to a Historic (and I have owned and played plenty) is the feel of the neck. The bevels on the edge of the fretboard binding, the hard (not sticky) lacquer, and the reshaped profile of the neck feel like a well worn glove.
I think the guitar makes me play (and sound) better.

No guitar "makes" anyone do anything . The player makes the guitar do what it tells it to . :lol:

How is it no one(or it seems that almost no one) ever tries changing the Pups and Harness ,before the Make Over ? Of course the sound as changed . Better is subjective . Put a higher Ohmed pot in with a .015 cap and presto , brighter guitar $15.00

Maybe you (all of you) are just playing what you are capable to after the HM and before you/those were just uninspired ? Like when you get a New guitar . man we all play the crap out of them for a while . :hmm:

But i have doubts that a HM gives anyone more skill at playing the guitar than they had before the guitar was sent away.

goldtop0

Reaction score
If the body is vibrating it is that many FEWER vibrations that are making it to the pickup. They are heating the body, instead.

The LP's on fire:naughty:
I'm endeavouring to see your point.

My point is(to quote an old and true guitarist's saying) 'It ain't no good without the wood'.
The pickup transmits what comes from the body/substance of the guitar(wherever it's housed) as it does when you put a pickup on an acoustic guitar......... don't you agree.

kingsxman

Reaction score
I think this is the general consensus. And Ill definitely go down the HM road once I found the r9 candidate for it.
Ive read lots of things on the nitro finish difference, brazilian board etc etc...
and my conclusion is that HM is more about the look and feel of the guitar. Which is probably >50% of what makes it a great guitar BTW.

I think this is true. However, I am going to take a stab that Kims work will in fact make a bigger improvement in SOME guitars than others. For example, if the hide glue/neck reset really makes a difference....then you'd potentially get a change in tone on a pre-2013 guitar and not as much on a 2013 which already has that done.

So ....something else to muddy the waters.

hoss

Reaction score
Jamman, ripping Burstbuckers out was the first thing I did with Historics :)

I have asked this at another thread:
I have an old vintage harness in my parts drawer but never used it. I could put it in my Historic Makeover/Custom Order R8...

If all pots are on 10 (not that I don't use them and roll them back) vintage pots and caps (I have old NOS) can not make a difference in tone, right?

rockstar232007

Reaction score
Nope. Just like I can't convince you that the '59 LP is the greatest guitar, ever...generally speaking, of course.

The only way to prove anything is to play one yourself. Then, YOU decide.

MiniB

Reaction score

I have an old vintage harness in my parts drawer but never used it. I could put it in my Historic Makeover/Custom Order R8...

If all pots are on 10 (not that I don't use them and roll them back) vintage pots and caps (I have old NOS) can not make a difference in tone, right?

It can depending on the pot values (if the new and NOS are different)...just as 500k and 300k pots will make your pickups sound different when both are on 10. Some say that the caps can even come into play on 10 as well.

hoss

Reaction score
Thanks MiniB, I think I am going to heat up the soldering iron today.

MiniB

Reaction score
That's cool that you have that harness. Hope it's still all kosher.

RAG7890

Reaction score

If I were you Hoss, I would try that Harness. :D

If you don't want it I'll buy it. Nuff said!

Cheers, Rudi

hoss

Reaction score
Did it, sounds awesome. The pot sweep seems softer, sweet open tone.

I cleaned them well but the neck volume is still a bit scratchy. It has a little play, seems mechanical. Maybe it goes away with usage, if not it's no big deal.

110_harness.jpg

Latest Threads