Can this guitar be saved?

58 special

Reaction score
Fits in with the rest of the picture. Look at the guitar. She must have been thinking
"I've modified t the crap out of the guitar. Now what can I do about this ugly brow case."
I guess she could just change the lining to yellow and use it for a custom.

nuance97

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fits in with the rest of the picture. Look at the guitar. She must have been thinking
"I've modified t the crap out of the guitar. Now what can I do about this ugly brow case."
I guess she could just change the lining to yellow and use it for a custom.
Oh no doubt…it definitely fits. I just mean that there’s not much value in the case since it’s “refinished.”

Slashperryburst

Reaction score
Guys, the Reverb ad has been updated and now includes a video featuring the original owner and some guy who, despite being a good player, seems to think that these humming pickups are p90 humbuckers.

Think the old gal just has her wires crossed. Interesting lady. Interesting guitar. Still not worth anywhere near what she's asking.

Might be taking it a bit far :lol:
Oh. You thought I was joking...

beerbelly

Reaction score
I find this additional bit of history with the owner fascinating, and in my opinion, more interesting than all the fuss about the guitar's mods and price. She may find out the guitar will never sell at the price she's asking, or maybe someone might just appreciate the local history it represents and buy it. There are many folks with plenty of money these days.

spartacus slim

Reaction score
Really enjoyed the video and learning more about Linda and her history with the guitar.

So the pickguard letters used to say LUCKY LINDA - that’s too cool!

58 special

Reaction score
Great video. i no longer see the mods as a negative.
looks to me like she has enjoyed that guitar for nearly 69 years
I'm certain nobody here can claim that about any guitar they own.

jwinger

Reaction score
Car crash and the price, well, if you negotiate right and find someone who wants to sell, you can pay a little less for a 100% original one

musicmaniac

Reaction score
I think it's great she's owned it, played it and did what she wanted to it. Obviously it effects the value of the guitar but she loved playing it!

WayneLawKid

Reaction score
Cool guitar not worth nearly what the listing is asking. But the value of this thread should be how cool it is to see an original LP owner from back in 1953 that professionally played an early Lester talk about it. I suspect Linda has better chops than I ever will, or at least has played more venues than I ever will. Kudos to that. Respect.

I just hope Jazz chord man has altruistic motives. It's not a $35k guitar in current form. Not even close. I just hope she's not being told otherwise on a commission basis.

And if Linda needs the money for whatever reason, can we lottery away this piece? I'm sure the forum has standards about that. But I'm also confident most of us would accept this into our guitar room for a modest ticket price.

beerbelly

Reaction score
That didn't take long...

Screen Shot 2022-01-10 at 5.36.22 AM.png

nuance97

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That didn't take long...

View attachment 583406
Wonder what the buyer actually paid…surely they made an offer that was massively less than $35K. Unless they’re a real sap who thought the story of the guitar was worth in hell of a premium from what the instrument itself was worth.

Last edited:

beerbelly

Reaction score
Coulda been a sap with $35K. It's just a question of what a person values and if they can afford it.

zhivago

Reaction score
Some people on the Gear Page were discussing this guitar, and the following was mentioned:

"Word on the street is that is sold for full asking price this morning to a collector who is quite unlikely to try and restore or convert this thing. I'm totally shocked by that, but I guess the story and history resonated with the right person."

JMP

Reaction score
If the seller and buyer are happy, good for them! I’m curious what will become of this cool old goldtop.

Southwest

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remember guys - most of us save like crazy to get what we have. From entry level Epiphone to high end Gibson. Some can afford to collect. If the guitar goes to a good home, I'm cool with that. Whoever bought it and whatever the reason. I just hope it gets played.

spartacus slim

Reaction score
"Word on the street is that is sold for full asking price this morning to a collector who is quite unlikely to try and restore or convert this thing. I'm totally shocked by that, but I guess the story and history resonated with the right person."
If it was Joe Bonamassa, I expect there will be an Epiphone version before the year is out...

WayneLawKid

Reaction score
Wonder what the buyer actually paid…surely they made an offer that was massively less than $35K. Unless they’re a real sap who thought the story of the guitar was worth in hell of a premium from what the instrument itself was worth.

Screen Shot 2022-01-10 at 6.58.05 PM.png

According to Reverb, the SOLD price was the full $35k. I think someone with money liked the story. Good for Linda!

Latest Threads