Can this guitar be saved?

Leumas

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Whats up buddy? Long time! Thats what i was saying. I think some "expert" gave her that price range. I think the story and the lady are cool. It was HER guitar she can do what she wants but she will never get 34k

Hey man! It has been a while! I moved halfway across the country since then. I think the coolest thing is that she’s a middle of the road working musician with so much documentation of how she used the guitar the whole way.

Most stories I hear about these classics are either that a mega-star got it second hand and used it for a while, or some uncle Vinny got it new and it sat under a bed until a collector bought it.

JMP

Reaction score
Well, it was her guitar and she modified it to suit her needs. No to mention, for most of it’s life, it was simply an “old used guitar”….not a coveted vintage Les Paul. She loved that thing, that’s for certain.

beerbelly

Reaction score
Well, it was her guitar and she modified it to suit her needs. No to mention, for most of it’s life, it was simply an “old used guitar”….not a coveted vintage Les Paul. She loved that thing, that’s for certain.
I completely agree. Original owner, only player, and modded to fit her tastes & abilities. Same thing someone would do to an old car for instance. I'd love to see a collection of these type of guitars. The stories they could tell.
Love the photo of them playing the Elks Lodge too.

brianbzed

Reaction score
This is one of the more hacked up LPs Ive seen

Sure, it can be saved with a BIG checkbook.....the initial cost is RIDICULOUS!!!

nuance97

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have absolutely no issues with the modifications made to this guitar. I can’t stand some of the pearl clutching that goes on around here when somebody posts a conversion thread. If somebody buys a guitar it’s theirs, and if they want to light it on fire who am I to stop them. My only problem with this guitar is that she’s off on the price by a factor of 10. Hell I’d buy it if the price was right. I’d enjoy the challenge of fixing it…

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
No big deal being modified as such. Remember, back then it was just a guitar… a guitar they could hardly give away…

Price is beyond ridiculous.

It could be restored… That ‘grumpy guy’ has done more with faaaaar less and done remarkable work…but it wouldn’t be cheap…

I’d pass on that…

JMP

Reaction score
But, someone will buy it and they’ll pay a decent sum for it. To each their own.

Airplane

Reaction score
I let her choose which digit she want’s to delete from the asking price and i’d be happy to give it a go!

ElChoad

Almost a dick, almost an asshole, close to nuts.
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can it be saved? Probably. Should it be saved? Debatable.

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have absolutely no issues with the modifications made to this guitar. I can’t stand some of the pearl clutching that goes on around here when somebody posts a conversion thread. If somebody buys a guitar it’s theirs, and if they want to light it on fire who am I to stop them. My only problem with this guitar is that she’s off on the price by a factor of 10. Hell I’d buy it if the price was right. I’d enjoy the challenge of fixing it…
FWIW, nowhere near a factor of 10 for me. Divide the asking price by 5, maybe a little less, and I'd be looking to see how to get a CITES exemption. I wouldn't consider a full restoration. there's a whole bunch of personal history needs preserving in that guitar. (I'd need to do something about the formica back though :rofl:)

Liam

Slashperryburst

Reaction score
I've said it before, I'll say it again. If I become a billionaire, I'll buy up every burst I can get my hands on.

And convert them to goldtops.

nuance97

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW, nowhere near a factor of 10 for me. Divide the asking price by 5, maybe a little less, and I'd be looking to see how to get a CITES exemption. I wouldn't consider a full restoration. there's a whole bunch of personal history needs preserving in that guitar. (I'd need to do something about the formica back though :rofl:)

Liam
Really? You’d pay $7000 for it? I bought a ‘53 for $5500 a while back that had no original parts, a refin, repaired headstock crack, and the fretboard was planed relatively thin (requiring inlay changes; real MOP by the previous owner). This thing is trashed way past that…

Last edited:

spartacus slim

Reaction score
I’m kind of sad the guitar doesn’t have the letters on the pickguard anymore, which I assume spelled her name or stage-name. That’s one of the coolest features highlighting the history of the guitar and her long-time ownership...

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Really? You’d pay $7000 for it? I bought a ‘53 for $5500 a while back that had no original parts, a refin, repaired headstock crack, and the fretboard was planed relatively thin (requiring inlay changes; real MOP by the previous owner). This thing is trashed way past that…
Well alright maybe not $7K... Must admit Reverb had converted the price to £ UK without me realising, so I thought the asking price was a little lower than it actually is. And then I looked at the pictures again. Bridge pretty much resting on the top, not entirely sure quite what is going on in that control cavity. You are probably something like right on value, and not for the faint-hearted to take on making it into a playable and reasonable sounding guitar.

On second thoughts, I'd love for it to be preserved with some of the mojo it has collected over its life, but I'll pass on any personal involvement in that.

Liam

58 special

Reaction score
Also value in the case, as the asking price for them is ridiculously high now.

Latest Threads