Can the Tube Amp Doctor quiet my amp?

scooter500

Reaction score
Premier Guitar posted an article "Tube Amp Doctor Releases the Class A Converter" a couple days ago.

I bought a TAD tube and liked it. This classes A converter is something else though. What do ya'll think?

Big John

four holes are better than one
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Main difference between the THD Yellowjackets and these TAD units is that you can order the TADs in either pentode or triode versions. The Yellowjackets were pentode-only.

Mouse

Reaction score
Class A tube amp in the push-pull guitar world? i don't think it exists, i doubt that anyone would like power tubes to run at 200/250 volts B+ with bias point reserved for hifi enthusiasts with minimum harmonic distortion possible (4% and less). Even our most clean fenders exibits more than 5% harmonic distortion at most angelic cleans.You need BIG audio transformers if you gonna go less than 5% THD or realy nasty usage of Negative feed back to dull everything down.
Class A is just a word with no meaning otherwise than selling point and tend to describe cathode biased amps like Vox AC30 or Marshall 18Watt. Do they run in class A? No, they are filthy bastards in class AB not built to play records on high fidelity level :D

But you can always break in new amp with some good music :D
Look where the presence potentiometer is set (negative feedback) JTM45 kt66, and output transformer IS winded in early RadioSpares Hifi style

Last edited:

Latest Threads