Can the Kemper respond like an amp? I'd say definitely

PJH

Reaction score
We recorded this song about two weeks ago. I used my Kemper rack for the guitars and was pleasantly surprised when I was able to use it literally the same way I use an amp.

I found that with the right profile I was able to back off to get a perfectly clean tone and then by turning the guitar volume up the tone became more saturated and felt like the amp was reacting really nicely. The guitars were recorded direct but I also played through a cab at a decent volume in the studio in order to get a little feedback.

This Santana song is not one of his more popular instrumentals but has been one of my favourite songs for a really long time. I’ve always wanted to do a version of this and thanks to my two very good friends, Dave and Larry I’ve been able to do just that.

My first thought was to do a completely different take on the song but after listening to the original I realised that the playing, feel etc was perfect.

This is therefore my tribute to a guitar player who had a great influence on me when I was younger and probably still does.

The only change that we made was to lengthen the song. I felt that the original version is just too short.

I hope that you’ll enjoy this version of a beautiful song.

NotScott

Reaction score
That sounds great, good job!

I have been running a Kemper for a few years now and I have always loved how it responds and feels, particularly recorded. I always say it is the only digital device that I have ever played that sounds and reacts like my vintage Vox and tweed amps.

My only issue with it was using it on large stages as a conventional amplifier head with conventional guitar cab. It works well using direct profiles with some judicious EQ into smaller cabs at moderate levels but when cranked up through 4x12s, it just doesn't sound nor feel right. Yes, I know, I should be running it with cab sims through the monitors but I don't like playing through full range cabinets. They just don't react like my tube amps through an old-fashioned guitar cabinet. IEMs work great though.

cybermgk

Singin' the body lectric
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
How did I miss this. LOVED the song in the OP. Loved it :thumbs:

THough that 'drum face' from the drummer needs work. :naughty:

PJH

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments! I'm glad that you enjoyed it.

Cheers.

Torshalla

Reaction score
The Kemper is amazing... i have not used my tube amps since i got one... all you need is good profiles. I very much recommend the Katzbach profiles from the Marshall Museum Germany... amazing Marshall tone collection:

NotScott

Reaction score
The Kemper is amazing... i have not used my tube amps since i got one... all you need is good profiles. I very much recommend the Katzbach profiles from the Marshall Museum Germany... amazing Marshall tone collection:

I never heard of Katzbach but those samples are terrific! Any profiles that will allow you to easily hear the differences between Plexis, Metal Faces, JCM 800s and other Marshall circuits are exactly what I look for and exactly why I have a Kemper. Thanks!

Torshalla

Reaction score
I never heard of Katzbach but those samples are terrific! Any profiles that will allow you to easily hear the differences between Plexis, Metal Faces, JCM 800s and other Marshall circuits are exactly what I look for and exactly why I have a Kemper. Thanks!
Glad you like them, there is such a great range of Marshall tones in that bundle... :)

PJH

Reaction score
The main profile that was used for the first part was my Marshall JCM2000/Drivemaster amp/pedal combination.

It is available as a free download from my website www.peterhanmer.co.za

Latest Threads