Can someone please recommend me a Parlour/Small guitar?

Oldskoolrob

Reaction score
Oh - even better this one has slotted headstock and all hog. Nowhere near me, but my local guy does Sigma so I'm sure he'd get one in for me.

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
Oh - even better this one has slotted headstock and all hog. Nowhere near me, but my local guy does Sigma so I'm sure he'd get one in for me.
Just an FYI: Thats a sweet guitar, but it’s a 00 not a parlor.

It’s got 645mm scale which is similar to a PRS whereas Parlor is generally near 620mm or even less.

Oldskoolrob

Reaction score
Cheers @Wuuthrad still learning acoustic terminology. '00' is fine too - doesn't have to be a parlour - have widened my search criiteria- just that small 12-frett vibe.

Oldskoolrob

Reaction score
Just dreaming now looking at Gobson L1 / L-00 's. And now I've seen the pre-25 archtop L1's I'm going to be dreaming of those lol.

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
Just dreaming now looking at Gobson L1 / L-00 's. And now I've seen the pre-25 archtop L1's I'm going to be dreaming of those lol.
I hear you man!

I spent some time drooling over the 2020 Gibson Sustainable series made with North American Wood (Walnut being particularly interesting, and no fret inlays with a handfinished beeswax.... )

Oh man it’s like my dream acoustic, with 00 and Hummingbird at the top of the list.

But then there’s the adjustable saddle H’Birds which I think would be ideal, and the only other ones I’ve seen are old Epi plywood bolt necks which are offered for too much on the used market imo.

Catch 22- The sustainables are at 2499 US $ I cant seem to justify the price right now!

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
Cheers @Wuuthrad still learning acoustic terminology. '00' is fine too - doesn't have to be a parlour - have widened my search criiteria- just that small 12-frett vibe.
Well with acoustics size really does matter!

Maybe take a look at the Concert shape as well which is rounded and slightly larger than a 00- it’s not generally going to be as boomy as a dreadnought or big as a square shoulder or jumbo (depending on maker obviously) and suitable for more singer songwriter stuff, folk and fingerpick styles.

A little more volume than a 00 typically. Some are a bit smaller bodies than others. I’ve found them more comfortable than dreadnoughts with the rounder shape and you can find them with wider fingerboard and shorter scale like this:

Also seriously consider a built in piezo or pickup- there’s a huge range of cool stuff you can do with an electrified acoustic.

Oldskoolrob

Reaction score
Cheers mate. I started looking at parlours and 00 because of Robert Johnson and Scrapper Blackwell. As well, I'm a smaller bloke so the physical size appeals more to me. Was also looking at archtops (I used to have an old Hofner Congress) but I think the 'flat-top' gives more volume, and a nicer sound for a single guitar that doesn't have to compete for space in the mix. Drummer will be using only snare & maybe a small tom as a kick, Bass player (I'm hoping) will also be acoustic. Would love a double bass but He's adamant that's not happening lol.

If we amplify I'll just use my LP or my old man's Martin. This one will do double duty as my porch rockin' chair axe.

redcoats1976

Reaction score
martin xm-1 is a pretty good small guitar.spruce top,HPL sides and back,but still sounds like a martin.new around 600 bucks,i got mine used for $350.

efstop

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't recommend, only describe what I have. It's a '74 Guild F-20 that has been in and out of production, currently not. It's a concert shape 14 fret guitar, between parlor and 0 in size. Mahogany with a spruce top and a 24 3/4" scale or 629mm. The only case that fits it is the Guild case, and that is difficult and expensive to obtain, so I modified a classical guitar case with pads made from styrofoam and black felt.

It's been repaired over the years and I reamed out the end pin hole for a pickup jack. I only briefly entertained the idea of trading it, but it was my dad's guitar, and I like having it as a counter to my J-29 slope shoulder dreadnought, and it's tuned to DADF#AD.

none2low

Reaction score
Some great suggestions already. If you're not specifically looking for a traditional parlor guitar and just want a small portable acoustic. I'd take a look at the Taylor GS Mini mahogany. Great sounding, great playability and wont break the bank.

Oldskoolrob

Reaction score
Hey groovers. Thanks for all your suggestions! I went to a bunch of local stores and tried a bunch of the suggested guitars (where I could find them). AT the end of the day value-for-money wise I went with the Sigma 00m-1sts-sb+. Lovely sounding guitar at a lovely sounding price. Old-mate at the shop did quite a good deal for me and set it up to my liking. Pics coming soon :)

none2low

Reaction score
Congrats!! Be warned though, 12 fret parlors can become addictive. Soon you may find yourself searching out vintage examples (just for comparisons sake of course) and next thing you know, you'll be knee deep in a neck reset and refret. Not that I'd know anything about such things... :rofl:

moreles

Reaction score
If we're talking about very inexpensive and small-bodied guitars, I'd say that an actual good-sounding one is h ard to come by. If you want portability and durability then any will do, but as for sound, I think you'll have to hunt around a lot to find one that sounds good. A used M20 is a good rec, but even those are mostly dull. O(f course, it's not always important to have a amazing guitar sound.

slug_maine

Reaction score
I had a Fender CP 100 parlor guitar I bought to play in my pickup truck. It was good enough, I don't play in my truck anymore so I sold it.

RavenMadd

Reaction score
seagull made a few years back a small body acoustic that did not sound bad at all see them selling for cheap on line....one went in a pawnshop for 150.00.......those guys just know gibson and fender

Tdurden032

Reaction score
Another vote here for the Martin 000 - I have one and it sounds/plays amazing...

Oldskoolrob

Reaction score
So far I'm really impressed with the Sigma. It's a shame about the man-made-wood fretboard but that's my only subtraction. It's got a very nice balanced 'piano-like' sound. Very lively response to fingerpicking, which is why I chose a 12 fret. Now, to start saving for an arch-top pre '25 gibson L1.....for comparison like @none2low suggested ;)

MSB

Reaction score
i end up picking up the parlor 90% of the time. Others can do so much more, but dang if that little guy isn't a ton of fun.

as long as you're enjoying it and playing, does much else matter?

Latest Threads