Can someone please recommend me a Parlour/Small guitar?

Oldskoolrob

Reaction score
Hi! Looking at doing some smaller blues style acoustic busking - would like to get a parlour sized guitar. Looking at Epiphone EL-00, Gretsch Jim-Dandy, Fender CP-60 or CP-100. Can't afford a Gibson L-00.....any others to consider? Would like good projection and mids, will have small drum kit and bass, acoustic vocals.

endial

Reaction score
No suggestions here, but good luck in both endeavors. Sounds like a fun project.

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I think the sweetest mids come from an all-Mahogany guitar, and my pick among those is hands-down the Guild M-20. It's just an absolute classic, and for good reason.

If you're looking for a more affordable option, the M-120 is essentially the same guitar made overseas.

Last edited:

Brek

Reaction score
I had a Taylor parlour guitar round about 2003, nice mid range tone spank from it if memory serves.

monstruo_loco

Premium Member
Reaction score
Might be a little bigger than what you’re looking for
but I played one of these & liked it for the price although I think I’m holding out for one of these...

Last edited:

Matt_21

Reaction score
Recording King has some nice looking ones in a nice price range. Supposed to be good quality but, I've never played one.

Stoli

Reaction score
I bought a Parlor guitar a while back and played most of the ones that you mention. As Matt mentions, Recording King offered a parlor as well. I wanted the guitar primarily to play outside and travel with so I was not looking to spend a lot of money. It is a good guitar for what it is but it does not sound like a high end guitar. I liked mine well enough though that I had a pickup and jack installed in it. It has a pretty good sound plugged into my Fender Mustang amp. You can sort of tweak things to get a little different sound out of it with an amp. All things considered I just liked the Jim Dandy the best out of the low end ones that I played. I think these were discontinued for a while but are available in some new colors. They are cheap and tough little guitars. The Jim Dandy probably has the chunkiest neck out of the ones that I played.

One thing that I would suggest is to consider is whether you will want to play the guitar plugged in. If so, I would consider that as you evaluate the models and whether or not the models have pickups and whether you might want to add them. I think all of the models you are considering are fine for what they are. Good luck and hope you find one that you like.

Stoli

Reaction score
Lol, I would say that is more like the difference in the plywoods that you would find down at the local hardware, Home Depot, Lowe's etc. that you would use for general home projects and crafts. Probably something like pine or some mystery plywood. These are not cork sniffer guitars.

My Jim dandy has some cheesy looking paint stripes that I guess try to emulate binding. It has an antique sort of look to if you look at it from a distance. I did not buy mine from Sweetwater but mine looks very similar to the one in pictures here.

Stoli

Reaction score
One other note, the fingerboard was very dry and rough on mine. It says it is Rosewood but I am guessing that it is some cheap wood grown in China. You might want to pick up a bottle of lemon oil or whatever you like on a fretboard.

Oldskoolrob

Reaction score
Played a Sigma 00 today. Nice guitar for having a plastic fingerboard.

Stoli

Reaction score
I am not familiar with Sigma. I guess that nobody in my area sells those instruments as is often the case. I did a web search and saw some pictures that looked good. They are expensive but there are some Eastman models out there. I do not know whether they are in production or not but my Eastman electric guitar is far and away the nicest instrument that I have owned or played.

Oldskoolrob

Reaction score
Another big part of it is what I can get locally (must play before buying!!), in a country that doesn't exist. I think in America Sigma is known as "Kindred Guitars" or AMI ....?

MSB

Reaction score
all hog for smaller body/parlor acoustics for me have been the most desirable.

I've had quite a few over the last decade and this is the one that's still around

I got it as a SDOTD and never planned on keeping it, at this point, its a keeper, I love my Taylors, this little SOB just keeps sticking around, but it took playing a bunch to get there though.

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
I’ve had a Jim Dandy for quite a few years- it’s both soft and loud, quite bright and I can play at a campfire jam and not worry too much. Slide, lead and fingerpick all sound good. You can strum on it also, and it will definitely be heard over a dreadnought, folk or concert style acoustic with the right attack, but it’s not going to be as loud and “boomy” more that it occupies higher frequencies and notes in that range are more separated, at least somewhat.

All that being said, it’s nothing special really, but that’s kind of why I like it! It kind of looks like a brown spray painted piece of cardboard and has a retro 50s vibe going on.

If I was looking for a parlor now, I’d be more likely to look at the Ibanez Parlors for a couple reasons- because some models more closely resemble an old classical romantic guitar shape, and they’re made of different woods, which I would like to play and see how they sound.

I think mahogany sounds better on a parlor size (I’ve played nylon stringed hog parlors) because it does have a somewhat darker sound, and on a small instrument which is already super bright anyway, Spruce can just kind of be too bright. And it may add some low end richness.

The heavy paint on the Jim Dandy seems to mute a bit of that top end, (I can’t even remember what wood it’s made out of right now ) and the more open finish on some of the Ibanez guitars is attractive.

Heres a couple Ibanez models and by the way thanks for stimulating my GAS bro! lol

“Traditional” Parlors:

Even more “Traditional!” (Old school Romantic Classical Guitar Body)

Not looking presently, but I’d grab one of these and also put ball end nylons on it if the mood struck. Romantic guitars of not much different specs are well over 1000$, and at that price I can’t Imagine their tops are that much better!

Alternatively maybe Dean AXS Parlor all Hog? If you can think “outside the box” Dean makes killer guitars! I picked up a used Exotica Concert guitar a while ago for less than 300 and it’s an incredible guitar. Super easy to play neck, incredible build and wonderful harmonic richness. Unbelievable really for the price.

guidothepimmp

Reaction score
I am also searching for a parlour. The 2 i have narrowed it down to is an Alvarez ap66 and cort l100p parlour. The Alvarez is also all mahogany timbers.. there are 2 models.. the difference being the addition of a pickup. They have some nice guitars in the artist series too.

Last edited:

MSB

Reaction score
What do you like about the hog? Can't find any breedloves close to me, but I'll keep looking. This is my front-runner at the moment..... https://www.sigma-guitars.com/guitars/1-series/00m-1sts-sb/
all the all ones i've had, I liked better, i guess just a mix with the size works for me. A guild m120 held the top spot for a bit. The GS mini hog one was great, just too small to use other than a travel guitar. Quite a few of the Gretsch parlors, I've really liked, but with no case and no easy way to find one at the time I played them was a turn off. With the smaller bodies, some of the norms go out the window IME, so get your hands on some, unfortunately is the best advice I can give. I've had my hands on some recording king and alvarez ones that would fit the bill as well.

as far as Breedloves, I've had a bunch (a bunch), only a few I would say were duds, most of those were non hog parlor sized models IME. Online ordering them, I've been very successful, but their neck descriptions are about as accurate as Gibson's.

hbucker

Reaction score
I've got a friend with a Breedlove parlor guitar that is impressive and didn't break the bank.

I would recommend giving these a look.

Latest Threads