Can I use 4-lead humbuckers with regular pots?

1981 LPC

Reaction score
Hi all,

As it says in the thread title, can I use 4-lead humbuckers with regular pots? Not interested in coil splitting, just want them to function as a regular 2-lead humbucker.

My bridge pup (57 classic plus) crapped out and this set of an unknown brand is for sale for $50. They're A2 magnets thus comparable to the 57 classic / classic plus. Same goes for their DC resistance.

I'd like to get a set Lollar Imperials but have to make myself earn these by practicing more.

Anyone recognise these pups?
20210610_204338.jpg

20210610_204358.jpg

20210610_204408.jpg

Last edited:

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
They will work fine, but you need to identify what wire goes where in the coils.
Being an unknown maker makes that tricky, because manufacturers are not consistent in what color codes are used for what function.

To use without the switching options, solder the "South Finish" to the "North Finish" and insulate.

Pickups.jpg

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

As it says in the thread title, can I use 4-lead humbuckers with regular pots? Not interested in coil splitting, just want them to function as a regular 2-lead humbucker.

My bridge pup (57 classic plus) crapped out and this set of an unknown brand is for sale for $50. They're A2 magnets thus comparable to the 57 classic / classic plus. Same goes for their DC resistance.

I'd like to get a set Lollar Imperials but have to make myself earn these by practicing more.

Anyone recognise these pups?
View attachment 543022

View attachment 543023

View attachment 543024
They look like fairly generic overseas types. Artec maybe?

1981 LPC

Reaction score
Thanks CB91701, I didn't know that. The seller says he'll include a wiring diagram of how he used them (same as I want to use them). At $50 I'll take the chance.

He says to connect white and red, to solder the black and non-insulted wire to ground, and the green one to the lug.

flyingvguy

Reaction score
Thanks CB91701, I didn't know that. The seller says he'll include a wiring diagram of how he used them (same as I want to use them). At $50 I'll take the chance.

He says to connect white and red, to solder the black and non-insulted wire to ground, and the green one to the lug.
all will work fine in this configuration. those kinda look like a set in this guitar i'm working on some schmuck bought a chibson and these are in it. ??? don't know enough about the look of these to say one way or the other. he bought this less pauly and wants it modded up to specs... so i have to work it over. re-fret, new PUPS... all new hardware and even some work on the heel joint and the fretboard inlays. too much work for a 300.00 guitar from china but he wants it, he gets it.

let us know how that wiring configuration sounds.

Attachments

Roxy13

Reaction score
The best thing you can do is use a multimeter to determine which lead is the hot one and which 2 are coil splits and which one is ground. I've put in plenty of unknown pickups and the meter told me everything I needed to know to get them wired correctly.

Also sometimes colors change from the neck pickup to the bridge! So once again the meter is your friend. Gibson does that and I believe so do Wagners. And I've had Japanese pickups that did as well.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
Yes, absolutely. I use various wiring schemes diagrammed on the Seymour Duncan website. They've got the best library of ways to wire up a guitar that I am aware of.

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Green is grounded with the bare wire, tape the ends of the white and red, Black is hot.
You recognize the manufacturer?
The seller instructed OP to wire it differently.
It's not a Duncan.

BadPenguin

Reaction score
Typical Asian pickups. If you'll notice, the red and white ARE soldered together. Green or black to ground, won't make a difference UNLESS he is wiring it with another brand of pickup.

1981 LPC

Reaction score
Thanks for the multimeter tip, i was wondering about that.

Seller was kind enough to send me this diagram.
image-11-06-2021_07-52-00-17.jpg

jonesy

GLOBAL WIRING GURU
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
When you figure out the color codes two wires will be the "series link" solder them together then cover with shrink tube or tape you won't be using them. (These are commonly used for coil splitting)

Negative and bare lead solders to the back of the volume pot.

Positive lead solders to volume pot lug on left.

Latest Threads