Can I have OOP tones with a push/pull and regular 2 lead pickups?

LpCustom2007

Reaction score
If so, please show me a diagram :)

I want the rest to be regular 50´s wiring, just a push/pull on the bridge tone to make the pickups OOP in the middle position.

Thanks in advance!!

p90fool

Reaction score
Is it 2-core and outer braid or single core and outer braid?

p90fool

Reaction score
Single core and outer braid.

Ok, it's not impossible and I've seen it done, but it would involve far too much work (insulating the braid from everything else), it would still leave your pickup cover "live" and the whole exercise is a bit silly.

Far better and easier to convert one of your pickups to four-conductor to be honest.

LpCustom2007

Reaction score
Ok, it's not impossible and I've seen it done, but it would involve far too much work (insulating the braid from everything else), it would still leave your pickup cover "live" and the whole exercise is a bit silly.

Far better and easier to convert one of your pickups to four-conductor to be honest.

Ok thanks for your answer! I think I´ll just do a magnet flip instead, since I´ve never ever used the middle position for anything :)

johnh

Reaction score
If it is a single wire core plus braid, you csn use the switch to get the OOP sound, but there csn be extra buzz and hum because the case and cover become 'hot' instead of ground. Its possible to mod most pickups to fix this, Ive done it on a few.

Mookakian

Reaction score
You would have to add a new pickup ground wire from the base plate and remove the braid from the base plate, quite a mission as the braid will have to be protected at the baseplate so it does not touch the baseplate and cause issues, so the flip is a good idea if you do not use the middle pos. - That middle position is fun though, knock a little of the bridge pup volume back for neck tone with a little bite or visa versa :)

Its not too hard to change the wiring to 2 or 4 wire though if you decide you want to keep that middle option. The mag flip for the oop is IMHO a better oop though so catch 22 there, sounds like a flip would be easier and better for you ;)

Latest Threads