Can I do anything about this?

marantz1300

Reaction score
This is what lies under the pickguard and goof rings of my Walnut topped 72 Deluxe.
Is there anyway I can even things up? Fade the pickguard stain or blend the faded and under pickguard stain somehow.

Barnaby

Reaction score
It's ironic that there are a bunch of builders on here who work hard to get almost exactly this fade pattern on their '59 replicas!

There are lots of people who know about this and I hope they will chime in, but I suspect that matching the fade would be tough. Maybe you could mask off the rest of the top and do something with UV, but that would be unreliable at best. The only way to do it perfectly would probably be a refinish.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Wow, the grass is always greener! There are guys who take great pains to artificially do that to a guitar (when doing phoney relic work)...yes I said it and that's what I think of it. :D
It's a natural UV mask, I would say leave it...embrace it as it's real, natural aging process.

Barnaby

Reaction score
Barn's a faster typer! :D
Actually, I was just about to go back and edit my post to say "If you do want it refinished, get Freddy G to do the job". :D

Weird but true!

...oh, and it's a beautiful guitar too.

marantz1300

Reaction score
Refin.
I like Gold Tops,but as its 1 of 111 made I don't think I should mess with it too much.

cain61

Reaction score
Dude, that thing looks awesome. I urge you to leave it alone.

BleedingGums

Reaction score
That guitar looks killer as it is. I'm no Les Paul expert, but I have not seen any that look like that one. Leave it as is and, like others have said, embrace the uniqueness.

Couch-Commando

Reaction score
I personally would slap the pickguard back on and leave it be. While I am not a fan of artificially aging guitar finishes, a naturally aged guitar is a thing of beauty.

j.six

Reaction score
Yeah, I have no clue what the deal is with those rings, but it cleared something up for me. I had a 73 black Custom that was a factory 2nd. It had these witness lines from what seemed to have been oversized pickup rings with rounded corners. Thought it was weird as hell. I still don't get it, but I at least know that it probably had similar rings on it at one point.

Sully

marantz1300

Reaction score
The rings are commonly known as "goof hiders" and legend says they were put on guitars to hide bad routing. That's not the case here as the routs fit mini's and P90's perfectly.
I think they were used just to make the pickups look bigger,like full size humbuckers ,which were not used in Deluxe's at the time.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
Stunning!!

what's up with the pup ring s?
Yeah, I have no clue what the deal is with those rings, but it cleared something up for me. I had a 73 black Custom that was a factory 2nd. It had these witness lines from what seemed to have been oversized pickup rings with rounded corners. Thought it was weird as hell. I still don't get it, but I at least know that it probably had similar rings on it at one point.

Sully
The rings are commonly known as "goof hiders" and legend says they were put on guitars to hide bad routing. That's not the case here as the routs fit mini's and P90's perfectly.
I think they were used just to make the pickups look bigger,like full size humbuckers ,which were not used in Deluxe's at the time.

They were used in late 72 (December) - early/mid 73 (April - June, I've heard); they're farily reliable for dating the guitar to that era.

I love the guitar and hope it is left as is. It's pretty guit!

hardangerfjol

Reaction score
make up a template that covers up all but the pickguard shape, put it on the guitar...and wait 4 decades (-;

just kidding, if leaving it alone is not an option i would suggest taking it to a pro.

h.

bruce bennett

Banned
Reaction score
if you refin that guitar.

George Gruhn will send out the Vintage Guitar police to have it removed from your home for abuse.

So What

Reaction score
Pickguard ON!

Solves all your problems...

:cool:

marantz1300

Reaction score
The pickguards always on.Thats why it has the lovely colour in that spot.

The Refugee

Reaction score
Sorry to tell you what to do, but I'd say don't refinish it or try to fade it. Just play the thing as it is, definitely haven't seen many like that around.

marantz1300

Reaction score
Pickguard on.I'm just going to play it. The longer I have it ,the less I crave a gold top.

Murkar

Reaction score
Looks better with the pickguard on :)

Latest Threads