Can anyone tell how old this strat is with very little info?

DotStudio

Reaction score
These pictures are from a listing for a local barn sale tomorrow morning. Any idea how old it is? I know the pics aren't great, but some people really Sherlock out on headstock shapes, logo placements and such. Thought I'd at least ask. Gracias.

00404_aTaI7rpMKh4_1200x900.jpg
00k0k_2F4ehKX35C9_1200x900.jpg

mudface

Boo Bee
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
These pictures are from a listing for a local barn sale tomorrow morning. Any idea how old it is? I know the pics aren't great, but some people really Sherlock out on headstock shapes, logo placements and such. Thought I'd at least ask. Gracias.

View attachment 331614 View attachment 331615
Pickguard is showing '50s style single layer 8 screw.................54-58-9

cjpeck

Reaction score
No way to tell from those pics. Too many reissues/warmoth/allparts/boogie parts out there, too. Could be a partscaster as easily as it could be a Fender.

Not that it really means anything, but someone sure doesn't know how to string up a strat.

DotStudio

Reaction score
No way to tell from those pics. Too many reissues/warmoth/allparts/boogie parts out there, too. Could be a partscaster as easily as it could be a Fender.

Not that it really means anything, but someone sure doesn't know how to string up a strat.
Yeah, that's what I figured, but I gave it a shot :cheers:

DavGrape

Reaction score
It looks aged almost too good.
Like, it's real or something.

Nicely dented frets would convince me, who is certainly no expert, nor even apprentice.

Last edited:

Bill Hicklin

Reaction score

The fact that the owner didn't even know how to string it up argues to me that he wasn't tricking it out with vintage repro parts, or building a Frankenstrat.

I think it is what it looks like: late 50s, with a body repaint (Shoreline Gold didn't come out until the rosewood board era). Unless the price demanded us suspiciously hugh, because that would be way too much fake-work to sell for a hundred bucks

Bill Hicklin

Reaction score
Note though that Fender would for an extra 5 bucks custom paint a Strat in any GM car color a customer wanted

Reactions: Who

cjpeck

Reaction score
The fact that the owner didn't even know how to string it up argues to me that he wasn't tricking it out with vintage repro parts, or building a Frankenstrat.

I think it is what it looks like: late 50s, with a body repaint (Shoreline Gold didn't come out until the rosewood board era). Unless the price demanded us suspiciously hugh, because that would be way too much fake-work to sell for a hundred bucks
I almost want to nearly kinda agree with that. I'm a vintage Fender guy more than anything (Jazzmasters...) and it would be pretty cool to pull another early strat into the light of day for sure, I'm just in the "if it's too good to be true" camp. Could very well be a early strat, but I'd need to see a whole lot more than those two pics.
Of course, you're talking snap gut feelings, I'm sure you wouldn't make an offer off of just that :)
I'd sure be interested in finding out more about the guitar though. Nothing in those two pics says "fake" at least although I'm thinking it may be a '50s roadworn.

oh yeah, shoreline gold? I'm seeing a two tone SB in the pics.

rabidhamster

Reaction score
Either real 50s, unlikely but possible, or an MIA reissue, or a water slide decal on a copy. Plenty of cheap copies from the 70s to slap a decal on. I've had copy guitars built in the 80's that could've very easily been i

It could be an early 57 reissue given the fretboard wear. Case says to me 1980s repro, so did they put an old guitar in a new case or their new guitar in their new case. Probably the latter... but its curious. The headstock decal is a bit janky looking.

for more info you'd want pics of the back of the guitar as well as closer photos of the pickups/knobs

Its almost certainly not a roadworn, I think those still all have the telltale headstock

looks like its had a fret job.

Last edited:

redjunior

Gak!.... Bozos!
Reaction score
Well, that's the proper Spaghetti logo for 50's early 60's and on top of the lacquer... Just not sure of the plug in the end of the neck. But I would get it, 50's and early 60's strats would have a 5 number serial # on the neckplate. Below 90000. My 62 was 86623.....

Latest Threads