Can anyone identify this PRS

mkayers

Reaction score
This PRS came up on a local auction site & I'm not really familiar with them. Set neck & it looks like someone signed the back of the headstock in 1989 so it must be older I would think. Looks like tuners have been changed & they got rid of the signature on the headstock. Sorry for the crappy pics but they're not mine lol.

Attachments

• prs1.jpg
    prs1.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 228
  • prs2.jpg
    prs2.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 226
  • prs3.jpg
    prs3.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 203
  • prs4.jpg
    prs4.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 224

Tollie

Reaction score
Strings through the body looks like a red flag to me. If you post this on the PRS forum you might get a better answer. The dated signature means nothing as it could be back dated.

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Not a PRS.

Headstock looks too pointy and too wide for their pointy style. Way off there. At least to my eyes in the picture.

Not PRS’s hand signature.

I think in 1989 they had the older style non pointy headstock only that I hate.

Check the body binding, typically natural wood.

Logo looks painted over in headstock.

Back and front headstock actually look like a respray a little.

Headstock logos and SN are off or missing even for the lesser non core models that shouldn’t be the case.

Back and neck paint look off just in general as far as typical color.

Headstock paint, I don’t think PRS ever paints the front like that. Almost always natural wood, maybe black with logos like Gibson on some models.

They have never done string through that I’m aware of. Could be wrong, but I’ve never seen one.

I think it’s totally fake.

Last edited:

mkayers

Reaction score
Good enough for me to stay away from lol

gitmohair

Reaction score
Notwithstanding the comments above, with which I agree but I'm no expert, why on earth would you want to own the thing anyway, it's hideous :/ How much is it expected to fetch (or is it not that sort of auction)?

mkayers

Reaction score
Lol no idea, just as a flipper. I have no interest in it myself. Not sure what it's going to end up going for. I mean it's only at $3 right now.

gitmohair

Reaction score
Getting somewhere near the price of a pint of beer, then. Now that woodburners are pretty much illegal over here I know where my money would be going :)

FingerLakesFan

Reaction score
What in the world is that even trying to be? Thank you for the laugh today as that thing is hideous. Kill the Beast! :rofl:

thelegendnedk

Reaction score
This PRS came up on a local auction site & I'm not really familiar with them. Set neck & it looks like someone signed the back of the headstock in 1989 so it must be older I would think. Looks like tuners have been changed & they got rid of the signature on the headstock. Sorry for the crappy pics but they're not mine lol.
FAKE !!!

jk60LPTH

Reaction score
Shape of both horns are inaccurate, lower horn bevel to shallow, incorrect position of controls, headstock too short and stubby, top 2 end of headstock tuners too far apart, tuners have been replaced, tuners on one side of the headstock are offset from the tuners on the other side. Double dot inlays at 24th fret. Thru-body string eyelets arranged as two pairs of three in a 'sawtooth' orientation. I can find no instance of a PRS truss rod cover having that large of lettering, or that had 3 screws holding it in place. Front of headstock and entire back of headstock, neck and body painted gold, don't thing even an idiot would do that, but someone trying to cover something up would. Possibly, it was some other cheap guitar with a different headstock shape that was cut down to look somewhat like a PRS to someone inexperienced, that would explain the offset tuner locations, odd thru-hole hole string pattern, and double-dot 24th fret inlays.
PRS CE24 1989 Cherry Sunburst.jpeg

Last edited:

jk60LPTH

Reaction score
Lol no idea, just as a flipper. I have no interest in it myself. Not sure what it's going to end up going for. I mean it's only at $3 right now.
And that would be too much... even to use it for firewood.

jimmer_5

Reaction score
Yep, no disrespect intended, but that's an obvious fake. I don;t even think it's an imported PRS with a custom paint job, I think it's a bad knockoff. I'd steer clear of it.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably a kit build.
Chinese copy would likely have gotten the headstock closer, and used the script on the headstock, rather than the SE style truss rod cover.

The whole "PRS" truss rod cover thing is because Paul refused to have the signature headstock on his import models.

Did PRS ever use non-locking Grovers?

mkayers

Reaction score
At least they're not listing it as a PRS, just a guitar. Glad I checked in here after searching everywhere else. I couldn't find anything that looked like it.

Bluesky

Reaction score
89' .......... Ed Roman was seriously into making replicas and selling them as original. 95' I got stuck with one of his Fake LPs. Took 2 yrs and 3 court appearances to get my money back. He was screwing over so many people he hired a full time body guard and had to move to Vegas.

I wouldnt be surprised if that wasnt one of his beauties. He might no longer be of this earth but his guitars are still everywhere. Beware!!!!

mkayers

Reaction score
Somebody actually ended up paying $137 for it when the auction ended.

Latest Threads