Can Anyone ID This Tree

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
While looking at some property yesterday my wife and I saw this tree. It's an old stump that has re-grown.

I look at it and think what amazing burl it would be.

I've no idea what type of tree. Any ideas. It's in Maine.

Tree-2.jpg

Tree-3.jpg

KTM

Reaction score
The stump looks like a Box Elder as do the leaves. Box Elder are in the maple family. It could be an ash as was suggested above, a better shot of the leaf would help. It’s possible that the stump sprouted but more likely a seed germinated in a crevice of the stump. I have seen that happen before.

Olds442

Reaction score
can we get an isolated shot of a leaf?

kinda looks like a Ohio Buckeye, but i'd need a good leaf shot to say for sure.

Olds442

Reaction score
yeah that's not a buckeye. i'll check with the book.

i'm going to second the box elder.

scott1970

Reaction score
If it was a Box Elder there’d be fifty dead limbs lying on the ground. I have Box Elders in my yard, and I call them hospice trees.

sonar1

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guessing some kind of Elm?

I’m not up on trees I don’t know, but there were a lot of Dutch Elms where I grew up.
The leaves look familiar

drylandfish

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna agree that it is probably a box elder after seeing the leaves close up and how they are grouped coming from the branches.

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I can't help but think what a wild wood that would be for a guitar or amp cabinet.

BRMarshall

Reaction score
I’ve had quite a few dead elm and ash trees on my property the last 25 years. I’ve seen branches grow out of different trees (maple, ash, etc.). Agree that a photo of a single leaf against a solid background would be most helpful. From what I can see, it doesn’t seem like elm or ash. Box elders seem to have all died out years ago around here.

Uncle Vinnie

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sent your pictures to my BIL who is a Ph.D. forester and asked him if he knew. I didn't tell him this was an inquiry from a guitar forum, so he probably thinks it's here in Michigan. Here's his reply.

Yeah, I can. I think. Is it sprouting out of an old tree stump? (Looks like it is). Do those long, pointy leaves have sharp, saw teeth along the sides and around them? (I can't tell for sure, but I am guessing they do).

If so, it is a sprout-origin American chestnut, Castanea dentata. A magnificent tree that fell victim to a terrible blight between 1920 and the 1950s. Was never native to Michigan (except maybe Clinton County area), but farmers and settlers brought it with them from the Appalachians and planted them for food and fuel and construction materials in NW lower Michigan. In fact, I used to collect seed from them from trees I found about halfway between Baldwin and Cadillac, in the Pine River valley.

Latest Threads