Can A Speaker Actually “Wake Up”?

Classicplayer

Reaction score
And by that I mean are speakers able to exhibit a change in tone that was fine on Tuesday and sound infinitely superior and more tone full the next?

The Orange amp that I've been using the past two suddenly sounded louder to my ears so much so that the difference in volume between its 7 watt and 15 watt mode suddenly disappeared. Alarmed, I sent it to my vendor's repair unit for testing. It was pronounced normal and healthy and then shipped back to me. Still perplexed, I played it and just re-tweaked my amp and guitar controls and continue to enjoy playing it.

Now, a few weeks after this happenstance, I'm wondering if what I noticed was the Celestion V30 coming alive and that the amp was not the reason. Do some speakers sound that much better one day and just ordinary the day before?

Classicplayer

Last edited:

DarrellV

just Livin' the Dream....
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if what I noticed was the Celestion V30 coming alive and that the amp was not the reason. Do some speakers sound that much better one day and just ordinary the day before?
IME Not that drastically and overnight.

FWIW what you are describing sounds a lot like the speaker had a partially shorted voice coil, or a cold solder joint on the board.

Maybe even from the factory..

Either way , whatever moved, touched or un-touched over time has allowed the full current to flow through the speaker as it should now.

You may never know at this point. Just play it and enjoy it. If it suddenly drops in volume again, then you'll know to get it looked at.

ARandall

Reaction score
Or your ears.....which are far more volatile than the whole chain put together. Your hearing shifts as the day changes, so its not unusual for you to think your rig has changed overnight.....its done so many times in my experience, and my rig is not loud enough to trigger any natural defensive responses from the brain.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Or your ears.....which are far more volatile than the whole chain put together. Your hearing shifts as the day changes, so its not unusual for you to think your rig has changed overnight.....its done so many times in my experience, and my rig is not loud enough to trigger any natural defensive responses from the brain.
Psychoacoustics play a role.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Them damn psychoacoustics running around again....

All seriousness aside, there is validity in that.... Ear tubes, sinuses during peanut season or damn pine tree yellow snow from hell, etc. you will hear differently... Humidity weirdness....

I do believe the paper does limber up with playing a bit..... If it was tested at the factory, that very well could have already been done just by testing....

Work with a skill saw before practicing and ain't nuttin gonna sound right for a day or so....

Lot's of variables for an 'instantaneous' perceived change....

Classicplayer

Reaction score
Nay, nay from psycho acoustics stay away. Definitely not that! Otherwise it would vary from day to day. No, this event happened one day last month I and still don't know what happened. Was it a hiccup in the amp's circuit? Or, was it the speaker giving up last bit of
stiffness in the cone, the spider or something else with it?

The net result is my Dark Terror no longer has that noticeable difference in decibels between 7 and 15 watts. It's also smoother sounding which seems strange because I've use this V30 for three years at loud TV volumes.

Classicplayer

tzd

Reaction score
Alarmed, I sent it to my vendor's repair unit for testing. It was pronounced normal and healthy and then shipped back to me.
Did you send the speaker or amp for testing? I would think if 7W and 15W sounds the same volume, it would be something up with the amp.

ARandall

Reaction score
Psychoacoustics play a role.
If you were expecting a certain change, you can fool yourself into thinking that it has occurred. If you have no expectations and merely hear something or notice a change, then you remove most if not all of that issue.
One of the biggest problems with this sort of area is preconceived notions...not only in what people hear, but in what abilities they expect others to have. There is quite a bit of people projecting their own condition onto others.

Of course there are still a lot of mechanical reasons why ears hear differently from minute to minute.

Classicplayer

Reaction score
I shipped the amp to the vendor minus the speaker cab. Without much ado, they gave it a preliminary playing test with one of their speakers and heard nothing, they claim. Before that, I had someone play through the amp a a local music emporium. Nothing out
of the unusual there either.

The best I can describe it is that for a day or so, the amp e.q seemed to sound less effective, there was not much change when turning gain up, either!? The entire tone of the amp seem'd fixed in one dimension. If it were the amp and not the speaker, it seemed like an intermittent which disappeared after I had the amp returned to me. A whole new compliment of tubes proved no solution. This is why I'm wondering if it was the speaker. I always believed that speakers broke themselves in gradually with constant playing and the V30 I have is 3 years old! It has not been blasted, but should have broken with a steady volume level!?

I had it explained to me that the difference between 7 and 15 watt output is only about 3 decibels. The real difference is the amount of headroom and push between the two numbers. After listening to my own Dark Terror, I'd say that seems about right. If there has been any change, it's been for the better because I can use this amp at either wattage now at home without being too loud, where I could not do this before last month. I does sound smoother in tone, especially when using more gain and grit.

Psychoacoustics: It could fit in somewhere, but I'm always listening to my tone and “criticizing“ it as I listen; determining what I'm liking and what sounds not so good. Away from my guitar I think about what I just heard and what tweak (next session) I could try to add or subtract something. I guess we all do that.

Classicplayer

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
This +100

Ears and sound perception arent static...they do fluctuate all the time. So many times happened to me that a guitar, or an amp, or even a record, does sound “different” from a day/week/month/year, to another. Of course a speaker cant change anything overnight, but Id say, cant change at all. Can only degrade, as everything.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
This +100

Ears and sound perception arent static...they do fluctuate all the time. So many times happened to me that a guitar, or an amp, or even a record, does sound “different” from a day/week/month/year, to another. Of course a speaker cant change anything overnight, but Id say, cant change at all. Can only degrade, as everything.
This is and @ARandall are better answers than my psychoacoustics response. Has nobody ever gone back to their rig, after a gig/jam with the 'ultimate tone setting' only to wonder what the hell you were thinking?

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
This is and @ARandall are better answers than my psychoacoustics response. Has nobody ever gone back to their rig, after a gig/jam with the 'ultimate tone setting' only to wonder what the hell you were thinking?
Happen to me all the time, but this is sometimes also connected to the Fletcher Munson Curve, especially when you try to reuse the gig settings, at home, or studio levels.

The Fletcher-Munson loudness curves indicate the ear’s average sensitivity to different frequencies at various amplitude levels.

Last edited:

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
"Yeah, by the third set, it sounded great..."

Ok. Think it out.... I'll wait....

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
More than likely it's your ears or environment.

Technically, yes, speakers can sound different. Especially paper cones, which absorb moisture from the atmosphere, just like acoustic guitars. In a drier climate, paper cones have less mass.

Temperature will also effect speakers. I had a friend who did pro designs and installs for car audio competition. In that "sport" it's well-known that the first attempt will produce the highest SLP, while the speakers are still cold. Once they warm up, they can't push the dB meter quite as high.

My Les Paul Classifieds