Can’t Be Real - Something Fishy Going On

rfrizz

Reaction score
No they are not.

Epiphones are guitars made overseas to "our specifications". Or in other words, 'company X' wants a cheap guitar, but of a certain quality, and makes a deal with the factory that can offer this quality at the lowest price. The bar that is set is quality.

Those fakes / copies are not made with a certain quality in mind. They are made with the goal to look as close as the real thing for as cheap as possible. Quality is of no concern to them, they are not a brand, you can't return your broken goods. Once the item is sold, the money is made, that's it.

I'd rather own the cheapest Epiphone than any of the chinese "fakes" I've seen on this forum.
The $200-$300 Epi LPs with flat bodies can be pretty good. I have one which is 20 years old, and is still in great shape. The '57 Classic pup does help the sound quite a bit.

Going to a large store with 10-20 to compare is the only way to be sure you are getting a good one. Replace the bridge pup with a $150 pup and upgrade the electronics, if needed, and you have a helluva player for under $500.

Or you can get an Epi Standard '50s or '60s. I have a '60s, as well as a $2.5K Gibson Standard '60s (CG Ltd. Ed.) and they both play very well.

rfrizz

Reaction score
And honestly, ignorant bar patrons don't GAF what's on the headstock.
It could say Gibson or Epiphone or Burney ot Tokai or even Fender and NOBODY will notice except the few guys who play AND who don't have a lady to pay attention to.
And even then, half of them will be impressed that you made the "XYZ" sound so good, rather than berating the import.
Yup.

And the ones who REALLY know figure it is you gigging guitar

Brooklyn Zeke

Reaction score
The headstock logo is tilted. It's amazing how someone is competent enough to make an entire guitar but not competent enough to get that logo right. You can literally download the logo size an placement from millions of web site at this time.

The body outline also doesn't feel right.
The Gibson headstock logo has always been tilted upward toward the right. Whaddaya mean "tilted?"

Brooklyn Zeke

Reaction score
Did you really just argue that Counterfeits being created are okay, because people should be knowledgeable enough to be able to spot fakes? That argument sounds a lot like other fallacious arguments, such as: "She got what was coming to her, because she chose to dress that way."

"is never going to get confused with the real thing." - I am sorry, but this is patently false. People being faked by counterfeits happens on a constant and regular basis.

What is the worry?

1. Not everyone is knowledgeable enough to not be faked. Parents/family buying presents, beginning players, are just some of the many in that category. Each fake equtes to a person getting ripped off in the futture. A person trying to sell a fake as real, will wait until they get that unknowledgeable buyer.

2. EVERY TIME one is bought, from the Counterfeiters, it keeps the counterfeit industry going. The CCP isn't going to stop it (in fact they benefit from it, see below). The ONLY way to stop it, is no demand.

3. EVERY TIME one is bought, it perpetuates the continuing Intellectual property stealing, that is STATE SANCTIONED and coordinated by the CCP.

4. The CCP gets paid, for every single counterfeit sold. So buying one of these helps the CCP in every single human rights abuse they do. It helps fund their attack on the US and other Western countries, monetarily, politically. It is helping a nation and regime openly hostile to us IN their attack on us

As to the grammar policing, one should not throw stones, when one is in a glass house.

"A Chibson is like fake Rolex....... its for fun," - Improper grammar, two complete thoughts in one sentence, incorrectly punctuated. The first sentance should be "like a fake" or "like fake rolexes"

"If you know what you are looking for..... caveat emptor." Incomplete sentence.

"hundreds, if not more." Sentence fragments

"I'm surprised that, as your level on this forum, that your argument is so weak.". - as should be at, too many uses of 'that'. Sentence, if written correctly or well should be:
"I'm surprised, at your level on this forum, that your argument is so weak."
or
"I'm surprised that, at your level on this forum, your argument is so weak."

"And your English ability.......Good Lord!" - incomplete sentence and thought.
The Grammar Nazi strikes again!
Lighten up, man. Your criticism is also shot full of errors.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
He doesn't want a "shitty Chibson just to fool ignorant bar patrons." He wants it so that he doesn't have to have a $3,000 genuine Gibson at a low paying gig which might interest a thief. Better to lose a $300 Chibson, than a $3,000 Gibson.
My question to you is:

Why does it need to say Gibson on the headstock of his cheap $300 guitar?

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you mean stopbar posts, instead of bridge?
The bridge itself has the posts adjustable with slotted screws seen in the pic like Epiphones and like imports.

Like this....

A0C5E129-820C-49C5-8476-F61E91D1C18C.jpeg

Last edited:

bum

Reaction score
He doesn't want a "shitty Chibson just to fool ignorant bar patrons." He wants it so that he doesn't have to have a $3,000 genuine Gibson at a low paying gig which might interest a thief. Better to lose a $300 Chibson, than a $3,000 Gibson.
What's wrong with losing a $300 Yamaha Revstar?
It's all pretend play dress up nonsense and that's all there is to it.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I checked my own slab Epi LP. However, mine has the bridge height adjusters, in addition to the slotted screws.
The thumbscrews are still there so the bridge has something to sit on. Otherwise you could raise the posts all you wanted the bridge would just fall down and lay on the guitar. So those types of posts either still have to have thumbscrews or some type of ledge built into the post.

jk60LPTH

Reaction score
I will play devils advocate here.

What if the high dollar replica/clone luthier built guitar has Gibson or Fender on the headstock, is it not a counterfeit too?
I strongly suspect Gibson or Fender would say it is.

If you say it is not Counterfeit, but a replica or a tribute or some other adjective, please explain? Is your reasoning based on the country of origin, or the race of the people manufacturing the guitar??

What happens if the original purchaser passes away without anyone knowing that their high dollar replica/clone guitar was not manufactured by the company named on the headstock??
This is pretty far-fetched, to the point of being absurd, and hopefully you were drunk or just woke up when you posted it.
But just for the sake of argument...
"What if a the high dollar replica/clone luthier built guitar has Gibson or Fender on the headstock, is it not a counterfeit too?"
Unless licensed by the company who's intellectual property was being copied, the answer is unequivocally "Yes". In this case, if the guitar is built to look close enough to a Les Paul without differences that would be clear and distinguishable by the general public, and has the trademark of the company who's intellectual property is being copied, it is a counterfeit.
To illustrate, the PRS 594 Single Cut has a somewhat similar body shape but has significant differences in size, body contouring, controls and switches, hardware, fingerboard inlays, neck profile, headstock shape, does not say "Gibson" on the headstock, has it's own trademarks, and no person, with or without knowledge of musical instruments would look at it (the PRS) and a Les Paul and think that they were the same.

"What happens if the original purchaser passes away without anyone knowing that their high dollar replica/clone guitar was not manufactured by the company named on the headstock".
I don't really understand the relevance of this question. It's like saying, 'What if a guy buys a fake Van Gogh from the counterfeiter, and dies without anyone knowing that their expensive fake was not painted by nor signed by Van Gogh?
Any number of things could happen to it, but ultimately, it's still a counterfeit.

If someone doesn't understand that a Les Paul is the intellectual property of the company that designed it, and buying a counterfeit, knock-off, fake, etc is both morally wrong and illegal in this country and to import, and that when you knowingly buy a Chibson, it gets shipped to you and you go to youtube to follow the instructions about how to remove the black paint over the 'Gibson' logo that the chinese put their to try to deceive Customs inspectors, there is something wrong with your moral compass if you even have one, and technically you're guilty of knowingly receiving stolen intellectual property, not that the charge would ever stick, because that would involve the cooperation of the Chinese government, like that's going to ever happen; but it's still wrong.

Last edited:

jk60LPTH

Reaction score
Counterfeiting is just a game and has been going on forever.

Caveat emptor my friends (you Americans can look that up on Google)
Actually counterfeiting is not just a game, it's a crime both the US and the UK, among other places.

As for your last comment, my ancestors came to the New World in 1632 on one side and 1620 on the other; my lineage traces back to Sir William de Baguley 1260-1320 and beyond the Domesday book, (if you don't know what that is, you of course already know that you can look that up on that famous 'American' invention, Google). God save the Queen.
:)

Latest Threads