Can’t Be Real - Something Fishy Going On

Tinpan

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just ran across a post on Craigslist that selling a 90’s Gibson Les Paul Standard barely played with hard shell case. The price...$500.
I messaged the guy and asked him if he left off a 2 in front out the 5. He says it’s his backup guitar.
I haven’t heard back and I’m sure this isn’t real or every guitar player in the surrounding Orlando area has already tried to buy it.
Interested in hearing from the forum folks what is up with this Gibson
Chinese crap.

tokairic

Reaction score
Chinese crap.
Got to say here that not everything Chinese is crap. Maybe this is a fairly good guitar, condemned only because someone put a Gibson logo on the headstock. Not being a millionaire, I've played alot of very good, honestly sold, Chinese guitars and I would bet that many on this forum have too.
Just think what you are saying - Epiphones are Chinese crap.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Last time I messaged someone on CL for selling, of all the damn things, a fake Epiphone he wrote back "I never said in the ad it was a real one!"

I just wrote back and said you didn't say it was a fake either and then he told me to shove it so I reported it.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got to say here that not everything Chinese is crap. Maybe this is a fairly good guitar, condemned only because someone put a Gibson logo on the headstock. Not being a millionaire, I've played alot of very good, honestly sold, Chinese guitars and I would bet that many on this forum have too.
Let me ask you this.........if this Chinese company had put their own factory name on this guitar would it have sold as a quality instrument as good as the name they stole?......would it even sell at all?.....If so...then what is the point of having another makers brand on it in the first place?

Last edited:

bum

Reaction score
what is the point of having another makers brand on it in the first place?
So you can clumsily cut through a polystyrene box on youtube and totally be Ace Frehley!
Of course, I'm gonna upgrade the tuners, pickups and wiring and never sell it!

bum

Reaction score
If you buy a chibson instead of one of these:

You are legit a complete idiot.
The only reason to buy a chibson is to pretend you have a Gibson - That's all there is to it.
It's like squeezing yourself into a boiler suit, sewing tassles to it and smearing oil in your hair - You still ain't Elvis

TrackerDan

Reaction score
There was a person who advertised one of those here recently. He had struck a line through the Head stock Gibson logo even though you could still she it plain as day. This was on Marketplace. I sent a one word query: China and he responded quickly and politely "yes". I wasn't looking for clues but the price was ridiculously affordable.

TheWhigs

Reaction score
Looks like I really don't have too much to add here.:D

1)I'm not an expert so I defer to the members here.
2)I would NEVER purchase a counterfeit. As mentioned by many members, it supports the continuity of counterfeits.
3)Anyone, no matter who it is puts a Gibson, Fender, Jackson, etc. logo on a guitar is making/selling a counterfeit. Full stop!
4)People rag on "box top" retailers like Guitar Center, Reverb, etc. However with those retailers, at least there is some recourse with them. If an unsuspecting person buys a counterfeit on CG, Offerup, etc. there is very little recourse once the money is exchanged.

I know some here can find good deals with pawn shops, etc. however the vast majority (I say probably 99% of the population) can't. IMHO since the vast majority of the population can't differentiate a Boeing 737 from a Boeing 787, how does one expect the population to differentiate between a Gibson and a knock-off?

flyingvguy

Reaction score
it also keeps the perpetuation of counterfeiters going. no demand, no use to produce. ALSO, it means at some point, the guitar is sold as real. 1st buyer may sell it as a fake. but eventually someone will sell it as real. if for no other reason, it gets in the hands of someone from inheritance or similar, who just doesn't know. EVERYONE that orders one of these made, perpetuates and facilitates the fake market, and someone getting ripped off... FUCK CHINA!

Attachments

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it were not crap, the builder would have been proud enough of it to put his own name on the headstock.

It's a cheap piece of crap copy of a Gibson product and nothing more.

I've played a lot of good Chinese guitars as well... and they say Epiphone or D'angelico or Harley Benton on the headstock.... not Fender or Gibson.

TheWhigs

Reaction score
If it were not crap, the builder would have been proud enough of it to put his own name on the headstock.

It's a cheap piece of crap copy of a Gibson product and nothing more.

I've played a lot of good Chinese guitars as well... and they say Epiphone or D'angelico or Harley Benton on the headstock.... not Fender or Gibson.
I actually had a good Chinese Jackson which I returned back to GC. Shouldn't have as it played quite well.

E.T.

Reaction score
It's a Chibson fake. Find the guy, go over, tell him to throw himself off a pier into the ocean and if he doesn't, throw him in yourself for trying to pawn off a fake as genuine.

Brooklyn Zeke

Reaction score
Passable pickups cost $250.

Seriously, you can find used Tributes that are $500.... if a Gibson logo means that much.

Your ‘friend’ is a cheesy poser if he would rather play a shitty Chibson— just to fool ignorant bar patrons.

I find all these silly justifications amusing... like ‘it is as good as an Epiphone,’ or ‘I actually own nice guitars, but I prefer playing bars with my piece of shit guitar.’ There are loads of awesome cheap guitars that aren’t fake.
He doesn't want a "shitty Chibson just to fool ignorant bar patrons." He wants it so that he doesn't have to have a $3,000 genuine Gibson at a low paying gig which might interest a thief. Better to lose a $300 Chibson, than a $3,000 Gibson.

Brooklyn Zeke

Reaction score
He has several Epiphones, in fact. And he does play his Lucielle & 355 regularly; he just didn't have a LP at the time, and didn't care for Henry's price:quality ratio.

As your disbelief that a great guitarist would play anything but what you approve of - ever hear of David Linley?

You are 100% wrong about my friend - but you are right about Pearly Gates being nothing special (especially since most of the folks using them are playing through high-gain amps and/or dirt boxes, so the p/ups don't matter) - so why would anyone spend $240 on them?
His name is Lindley, not Linley.

Latest Threads