Can’t Be Real - Something Fishy Going On

Voxman2027

Reaction score
Just ran across a post on Craigslist that selling a 90’s Gibson Les Paul Standard barely played with hard shell case. The price...$500.
I messaged the guy and asked him if he left off a 2 in front out the 5. He says it’s his backup guitar.
I haven’t heard back and I’m sure this isn’t real or every guitar player in the surrounding Orlando area has already tried to buy it.
Interested in hearing from the forum folks what is up with this Gibson

Attachments

dmac in SC

Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would offer 300 bucks, take it or leave it. This crook will take that offer.

I seriously would snatch this thing up in a second if Orlando wasn't 8 hours away...been curious about how exactly shitty the Chibbies are for quite some time... and I need a shitty guitar to work on just to improve my skills

Andrew1225

Reaction score
I would offer 300 bucks, take it or leave it. This crook will take that offer.

I seriously would snatch this thing up in a second if Orlando wasn't 8 hours away...been curious about how exactly shitty the Chibbies are for quite some time... and I need a shitty guitar to work on just to improve my skills
It’s probably just as good as any Epiphone out there since most of the parts sourced should be the same.

Maggot_Brain

Reaction score
I'm no authoritay, but I've learned from everybody here that slotted screws on the bridge says fake.
View attachment 541957
Look at the height adjustment screw heads. They're huge! Import all the way.

Them funky squared cornered pickup rings with large chrome Phillip head screws is also a hallmark of a fake chibson.

Fake.
Those large-headed screws are on a lot of non-Chibsons, too. Those being legit, imported single cut guitars that don't have a Gibson headstock or Gibson horn. The pickups on my guitar came with them and it's not a Chibson in any way. Pretty sure most other imports do too.

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
.been curious about how exactly shitty the Chibbies are for quite some time... and I need a shitty guitar to work on just to improve my skills
A friend of mine has a few; didn't want to pay what Gibson charges now - especially to play in bars. After some light fret work, they're actually quite passable. To quote him, "Is the real thing better? Of course! Is it $2500 better? No f***in' way!"
Great instruments? Not really. But well worth the $250 he paid for them.

Last edited:

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look at the height adjustment screw heads. They're huge! Import all the way.

Those large-headed screws are on a lot of non-Chibsons, too. Those being legit, imported single cut guitars that don't have a Gibson headstock or Gibson horn. The pickups on my guitar came with them and it's not a Chibson in any way. Pretty sure most other imports do too.
Fake POS chibsons has them big ass screws,...Gibson does not... and that is a fake POS.... in fact its a counterfeit POS

It has a Gibson logo on the headstock and it’s not.... it’s a counterfeit fake POS... no matter what import uses those big ass screws.

Last edited:

LP1865

Reaction score
Apart from the bridge, are there any other differences to look out for?

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apart from the bridge, are there any other differences to look out for?
Yes... the serial number is a good giveaway.... most are very obvious.

Like this one the Les Paul Model script is not correct... the gold script is uniform in thickness... the real script is not... it changes in thickness throughout.

Hardware and electronics are also good giveaways....Gibson doesn’t use tiny import pots or import pickup selector switches with long stems.

There are host of giveaways mention in dozens of threads if you search for fake Gibsons

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
It’s probably just as good as any Epiphone
No they are not.

Epiphones are guitars made overseas to "our specifications". Or in other words, 'company X' wants a cheap guitar, but of a certain quality, and makes a deal with the factory that can offer this quality at the lowest price. The bar that is set is quality.

Those fakes / copies are not made with a certain quality in mind. They are made with the goal to look as close as the real thing for as cheap as possible. Quality is of no concern to them, they are not a brand, you can't return your broken goods. Once the item is sold, the money is made, that's it.

I'd rather own the cheapest Epiphone than any of the chinese "fakes" I've seen on this forum.

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
No they are not.

Epiphones are guitars made overseas to "our specifications". Or in other words, 'company X' wants a cheap guitar, but of a certain quality, and makes a deal with the factory that can offer this quality at the lowest price. The bar that is set is quality.

Those fakes / copies are not made with a certain quality in mind. They are made with the goal to look as close as the real thing for as cheap as possible. Quality is of no concern to them, they are not a brand, you can't return your broken goods. Once the item is sold, the money is made, that's it.

I'd rather own the cheapest Epiphone than any of the chinese "fakes" I've seen on this forum.
It also keeps the perpetuation of counterfeiters going. No demad, no use to produce. ALSO, it means at some point, the guitar is sold as real. 1st buyer may sell it as a fake. but eventually someone will sell it as real. If for no other reason, it gets in the hands of someone from inheritence or similar, who just doesn't know. EVERYONE that orders one of these made, perpetuates and facillitates the fake market, and someone getting ripped off..

Last edited:

filtersweep

Reaction score
A friend of mine has a few; didn't want to pay what Gibson charges now - especially to play in bars. After some light fret work, they're actually quite passable. To quote him, "Is the real thing better? Of course! Is it $25000 better? No f***in' way!"
Great instruments? Not really. But well worth the $250 he paid for them.
Passable pickups cost $250.

Seriously, you can find used Tributes that are $500.... if a Gibson logo means that much.

Your ‘friend’ is a cheesy poser if he would rather play a shitty Chibson— just to fool ignorant bar patrons.

I find all these silly justifications amusing... like ‘it is as good as an Epiphone,’ or ‘I actually own nice guitars, but I prefer playing bars with my piece of shit guitar.’ There are loads of awesome cheap guitars that aren’t fake.

Latest Threads