Camel les Paul

BKS

Reaction score
Went to other side of country to pick up this one. Not much to be found on the interweb on these. I have no idea what is original and what not. If anyone can tell me the function of the mini switch ....
Could this be a CLP-60CS?

Body is Mahogany type wood build in layers. Maple top. 3 piece neck i believe. There is a huge volume difference between both pickups . Plastic humbucker:shock:
Nice playing guitar tho. Might gut it and maybe put my Onered paf in the bridge. Neck is weak only have a '61 neck and a Burstbucker Pro neck Pickup. Might op for a p94....?:hmm:

Pictures
DSC_4874.JPG
DSC_4874.JPG
DSC_4872.JPG
DSC_4870.JPG
DSC_4864.JPG
DSC_4863.JPG
DSC_4861.JPG
DSC_4859.JPG
DSC_4856.JPG
DSC_4858.JPG
DSC_4855.JPG
DSC_4854.JPG
DSC_4853.JPG
DSC_4852.JPG
DSC_4850.JPG
DSC_4849.JPG
DSC_4848.JPG

Attachments

therealfrogman

A fool and his money....
Silver Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Gorgeous guitar. I will guess it is either a coil splitter or a phase changer that would change of the the pups to out of phase. I do not know enough about wiring to decipher the pics but if you simply play it one either pickup and switch it you will answer the question. You easily disable that micro switch as well and see if the volume between the pups changes.

Reactions: BKS

BKS

Reaction score
No coilsplit i guess. It seems to be connected to the pot via a capacitor (the yellow one in the picture) there are also two green ones on the tonepots.
But have to play a little more with it to. But i guess I clean it first and put a new fresh set of strings on.
If anyone could put a date on it?

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Not a fan of the Clown burst but it looks like a nice guitar.
And what a brand!
The main thing here would be to make sure everything is lined up,
that the scale is right, that the intonation can be spot on,
all this before gutting it and putting value parts in it.
Otherwise it's never gonna sound good.

Nice find!
:thumb:

BKS

Reaction score
Not a fan of the Clown burst but it looks like a nice guitar.
And what a brand!
The main thing here would be to make sure everything is lined up,
that the scale is right, that the intonation can be spot on,
all this before gutting it and putting value parts in it.
Otherwise it's never gonna sound good.

Nice find!
:thumb:
In real the contrast between both colors is more subtle . Actually pretty nice.
The bridge sounds okayish, it is the very very big drop in volume between bridge and neck. I will play with it first as for me i am still learning. And I guess I can learn a lot from playing around with it first.
Any idea what the role of the yellow cap could be?
Never seen pickups like these....
Wish there was more to find on these. The guy i bought it from also had a Fresher lp, he did not know they were family .

BadPenguin

Reaction score
The switch with the cap could be a tone switch, which would make the pickup sound as if the tone pot was rolled down to zero. Kinda stupid in my opinion. OR it may be a coil tap, sending just one coil thru the cap, which would sound as if it was off. Again, on the stupid side of things. The best bet is that bridge pickup is a replacement, since that's where the switch is wired to.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
As far as I'm concerned, I would lose the toggle switch and fill the hole.
Put a '50s wiring harness with a pair of SD '59s and call it good to Rock!
:D

Neffco

Reaction score
That’s Smokin! Back when smells like smoke and covered in nicotine was a good thing. Nice find.

BKS

Reaction score
As far as I'm concerned, I would lose the toggle switch and fill the hole.
Put a '50s wiring harness with a pair of SD '59s and call it good to Rock!
:D
My idea, might put my OneRed paf (or Steffsen paf)in the bridge with neck still open for ideas.
These are boutique handwound pickups from Europa btw (Dutch/belgium) and come out of a Brandin JA personal II.
Both are bridge pickups but i might use one in the neck anyway? Both are paf with similar output if i remember correctly. But maybe that is overkill?
Might also just put another combo in....

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
My idea, might put my OneRed paf (or Steffsen paf)in the bridge with neck still open for ideas.
These are boutique handwound pickups from Europa btw (Dutch/belgium) and come out of a Brandin JA personal II.
Both are bridge pickups but i might use one in the neck anyway? Both are paf with similar output if i remember correctly. But maybe that is overkill?
Might also just put another combo in....
If you have nice pickups to use, why not?