Calling es-175 owners

JohnnyN

Premium Member
Reaction score
It's all finished. Refret, Stormy Monday pickups, CTS 550k pots, Vitamin Q caps, 50s wiring, Switchcraft long toggle and jack, new bridge and tuners, pickguard and TRC. I guess the only thing I haven't done was replace the TP, but I plan to eventually as it has a fair amount of corrosion.

I really like the guitar. It was the biggest PITA due to the rust and corrosion though. Most of the screw heads just crumpled into rust dust. There was green and black crud all in the bridge, in the tuners, all over the FB and even under the frets and in the binding. I couldn't even get the bridge off the base as it was so rusted to one post nothing I did could break it loose. I actually had to saw up the pickup rings to even get the mounting screws after the heads disintegrated.
No wonder it took some time. I hope you enjoy the result of your hard work.
Oh, and pics or it didn't happen :)

Last edited:

Roxy13

Reaction score
No wonder it took some time. I hope you enjoy the result of your hard work.
Oh, and pics or it didn't happen :)
I posted this pic on the luthier area, but I guess it's ok to put it back here. Ignore the ugly bedroom. All 4 bedrooms in this house still need remodeled and I'm using this one while the master gets completely redone. This one has 2 doors so it's eventually going to get split to be another bathroom and my music room. Aside from guitars I really, really like remodeling houses.

IMG_20190722_160842481.jpg

Roxy13

Reaction score
Good work Roxy..sometimes we need to salvage.. My 175 was given to me for somework I did on a P bass and Dani that I was asked to put a HB and a Fender single coil and a brace.
The 175 was a semi basket..scalloped neck//no tuners..parts in a box..no bridge bass,
Luckily it has thick RW board that took to the razor scrape and then I leveled frets..
Pots were stuck and dead..but I have a bunch of 60s..early 70s parts..so all rewired, all work I did in the 70s,,
Plays excellent now..just needed a hard case..which I got a new Epi recently that fits perfect.. I put the ABR replacing the RW fixed bridge.
Used a lot of oil..on it..Almond mineral..
I never had a PG for it..maybe someday..
Being that mine is MIJ I bought a Hosco PG off ebay. Fit perfectly. I also got a bracket with an ebony block on there as well. If you want I can take some measurements to see if this PG would fit yours. It was very inexpensive if I recall, like under $12 shipped.

I bought a TKL 7000 series case for it. Fits great so I was happy to find something. Cases for these are pretty scarce. I was going to get one from Guitar Fetish but after I checked the measurements theirs doesn't really fit a 175 like they say it does. It really just fits their hollowbody.

BrianB

Reaction score
It's all finished. Refret, Stormy Monday pickups, CTS 550k pots, Vitamin Q caps, 50s wiring, Switchcraft long toggle and jack, new bridge and tuners, pickguard and TRC. I guess the only thing I haven't done was replace the TP, but I plan to eventually as it has a fair amount of corrosion.

I really like the guitar. It was the biggest PITA due to the rust and corrosion though. Most of the screw heads just crumpled into rust dust. There was green and black crud all in the bridge, in the tuners, all over the FB and even under the frets and in the binding. I couldn't even get the bridge off the base as it was so rusted to one post nothing I did could break it loose. I actually had to saw up the pickup rings to even get the mounting screws after the heads disintegrated.
I posted this pic on the luthier area, but I guess it's ok to put it back here. Ignore the ugly bedroom. All 4 bedrooms in this house still need remodeled and I'm using this one while the master gets completely redone. This one has 2 doors so it's eventually going to get split to be another bathroom and my music room. Aside from guitars I really, really like remodeling houses.

View attachment 396754
Sa-weet! A new TP will make that look new. Hope you find one where the holes all line right up and it just drops on like it was meant for it. Love the burst too...just right. Enjoy!

Roxy13

Reaction score
The only one I have found in that style and a nickel finish is the WD Music one. Not sure if they had the hole spacing listed for it. Yeah the old one is very pitted. I managed to clean off a lot of the rust and yuck, but it still looks bad compared to all the new hardware.

Slick Willy

Reaction score
Mine is a MIJ model that is incoming from Japan, so I'll understand if you ignore me, but I'm hoping you won't.

There seems to be not as much information on these guitars as I was hoping and it seems Gibson isn't even making them anymore?

Anyway, my question is about pickups. What do you have in yours? I may like the pickups in the guitar, but I have a feeling I won't. I know a lot of people like the '57 Classics in their 335s, but I don't see anywhere near as much talk about the hollow bodies. I have found some info on the jazz guitar forums.
Did you buy an Orville es175?

tonemonster58

Reaction score
The New Memphis Historic Spec are awesome replacements. They will have to be boughton the used market because Gibson refuses to sell the ala carte. Hmmm Is there a reason for this???