calling all Pete Townshend Les Pauls

banditguitarist1

Reaction score
I don't have a Les Paul but I do own one of the Live at Leeds SG's

IMG_0988.jpg

IMG_1000.jpg

Emiel

Reaction score
Definitely, properly my favourite rock sound. When he backed of the guitar volume it was al lovely 'chimey' and sparkly clean, when he cranked it was full out rocking. And then he had the Superfuzz for a great fuzz tone on top of it.

Here's a great clip, a great concert to show Pete's SG/Hiwatt tone in all it's goodness. I still have to try out of of those new SG Special Townshend guitars, if they have a slim neck I'm going to get one. The LP era '71-'79 featured some stunning tones too but I find them too bright and thin at times... could be the recordings because the Live at Kilburn DVD (HIGHLY recommend) features great tone all over...
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J5CSm56CJs]The Who - Overture - Tanglewood 1970 (HIFI STEREO AUDIO) - YouTube[/ame]

pmonk

Reaction score
Because playing # 1 gets you violently angry!!!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHs_ojDJX04]Pete Townshend gets mad at a Roadie... Live at Kilburn... - YouTube[/ame]

HOT-BRIT

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
sacrilege that he broke so many good guitars

Pete Deluxe

Reaction score
This is my first post, hello to everybody from Switzerland! :)

Big 'Oo fan 'ere! Saw them three times, 1976, 1980 and 1997...

Well, I have a Pete Townshend Les Paul, a Number "9" in 'burst. Pics to follow. Good guitar, wiring is a little special, tho. Very heavy, a little more than 10 lbs... very low action. Good PUs. The height of the PUs needs to be adjusted carefully because the DiMarzio is louder than the Mini-HBs. In my guitar, the bridge PU is weaker than the neck PU, but it can be adjusted too, so no problem.

Pete seems to use the Mini-HBs only, link:

Gibson Les Paul Deluxe | Pete Townshend’s Guitar Gear | Whotabs

Took me years to get one for a reasonable price. They're rare indeed. But nice, I gig the guitar every now and then. :cool:

@joff
they're numbered consecutively: first 75 were number "1" (winered), next 75 (76-150) were number "3" (goldtop), last 75 (151-225) were number "9" ('burst). If those numbers do not match it is most likely a forgery or a mod. Important is also that there are 2 COAs, not only one, the second one is white and bears a (printed) signature by Pete. Most of them disapeared, because maybe people mistook the signature for real? Dunno.

@ soundasylum
if you really wanna sell your "1" (can't see the smilie!), pls send me a pm, thanx!

les y

Reaction score
Here's pics of my C.O.A.'s and the control layout

When I purchased the guitar it came with only one C.O.A. (Standard Custom Shop) when I spoke to the dealer about the missing Cert he was unaware there should have been two, he contacted the importer (Rosetti) who checked their store and found my second C.O.A. and several others lying in a box. Apparently Gibson shipped all Certs seperately from the guitars for security reasons.

Les

KGrHqUOKjUE5RbbyUGlBOYfksYNqg60_3.jpg

KGrHqMOKooE4t5wUsRlBOYfkvCZg60_3.jpg

TwnsndCntrls.jpg

Latest Threads