Call me crazy.. part2... trade my R4 goldtop for your R4 goldtop.. read on...

CzarIvan

Reaction score
I know. I’m crazy… and this is a longshot, but I figured I’d give it a try for a little bit before I made any crazy decisions.

So here is the deal. I have a ’54 Historic goldtop that has had some great mods done to it. However… I’m getting itchy and really want a blacktop ’54. Some of you may have seen my post in the luthiers section asking about this job. So, rather than re-fin a great modified guitar that really should stay as-is, I’ll offer it up in trade to someone who has a stock one. Here are the details on my axe.

It’s an ’04 historic with the “custom , art, and historic” black case.
The top has been refinished by Lay’s in akron ohio to the correct color gold using bronze powder with real nitro. The top was minty… but has now developed a great “relic” patina. There is greening in the arm rest area, some light greening in the upper and lower bouts and finally some extra light greening around the knobs. This is all natural playwear, so it will only get better over time.
The guitar does have a few dings and chips in the armrest area that add to the character of the instrument. The back does have a bit of worming too.
Another thing with this baby is that at some point in her history, someone put what looks to be a trapeze tp on her, then changed their mind and had the holes in the “butt” end of the guitar filled.
The fretboard is gorgeous and rich, and the inlays have been replaced with correct historic makeovers cellulose nitrate inlays. At the time that the inlays were done, the frets were replaced with jumbo frets so the binding “nibs” are gone.
The binding on the fretboard was also rolled.
Along the bottom of the neck, the finish had worn through
Another thing to consider, the cavities of this guitar have been painted over with shielding paint to help reduce hum.
I do not have the certificate for the guitar… for that I am sorry.

So, what am I talking about… trading ’54 for ’54…
I want to literally just trade you body for body. I have upgraded pretty much everything that you can upgrade, hardware, electronics, plastics, etc. but I want to keep all that. So keep that in mind when you look at the pictures. We wont’ be trading any other parts, just the bodies…. Unless you really really want them, then we can talk about it and come to some sort of arrangement.

Hell, to sweeten the deal even more, I’ll throw in a Brazillian rosewood fretboard blank (non radiused / non cut / not slotted) and some cellulose nitrate inlays in case you want to undertake the work of replacing the fretboard with some nice braz…

So, I know that the potential people out there thinking of this probably have a ton of questions, so please, contact me via PM or email or even call me (916) Two-Seven-Three – 0861. Hell, if you’re in northern California and would like to see the guitar in person, please let me know and we can arrange it.

If nothing comes of this ad in the next couple weeks, this one will likely get black-topped.

It’s hard to take good pics of this guitar… she is more beautiful in person. It’s a pretty gloomy day out too, so that doesn’t help. If you would like additional information or pictures, please let me know and I’ll do my best to answer them.

Full album here: Gibson 2004-R4 pictures by czarivan27 - Photobucket

here she is in a crappy picture with her sister... a Dave Johnson refin R7

CzarIvan

Reaction score
guys, i can't do it. this guitar should live on as a goldtop. but i really want a blacktop r4. I love this guitar, and you would too. So i'm offering her up for sale because i can't refin her. I'll get a stock R4 and refin that.

$2500. still kinda holding out for a stock R4 to black out though, so if you've got one, let me know.

So you'll get a hell of a deal on this one because it's already had a TON of upgrades done to it.
Details
  • Top Refin to the correct gold nitro by Lay’s in OH.
  • Pro Refret with nice big frets (no nibs, sorry)
  • HM inlays installed during refret process
  • RS Guitarworks Aged single line single ring tuners
  • Pigtail lightweight tailpiece and steel studs/bushings
  • Seymour Duncan Antiquities p90s
  • RS Gutiarworks vintage wiring kit.
  • Vintage Clone plastic parts
  • Shielding paint in the electronics cavities
  • no cert.
  • custom shop case.

CzarIvan

Reaction score
sorry for the second bump today, but if you're interested, emailing me or calling might be faster than PMing. since the server upgrade i haven't received emails from MLP :(

iparra "AT" gmail.com
916-two seven three-0861

CzarIvan

Reaction score
another day another bump.

man, i wish i could edit that first post. anyways, in case you didn't catch it, this baby is now up for trade 54/54 or straight sale. Details:

$2500 or best offer.
* Top Refin to the correct gold nitro by Lay’s in OH.
* Pro Refret with nice big frets (no nibs, sorry)
* HM inlays installed during refret process
* RS Guitarworks Aged single line single ring tuners
* Pigtail lightweight tailpiece and steel studs/bushings
* Seymour Duncan Antiquities p90s
* RS Gutiarworks vintage wiring kit.
* Vintage Clone plastic parts
* Shielding paint in the electronics cavities
* no cert.
* custom shop case.

Neodustin

Reaction score
Does the guitar sound as good as you describe? I'm just trying to wrap my head around why you'd want to trade, just to have a darkback. FInancially, it would be benefit you to keep your GT and not worry about trading it off. If you're anything like the rest of us, as soon as you get your GT Darkback, it wont sound the same. And it will drive you crazy that much more.

Just my thoughts.

singlecut

Reaction score
another day another bump.

man, i wish i could edit that first post. anyways, in case you didn't catch it, this baby is now up for trade 54/54 or straight sale. Details:

$2500 or best offer.
* Top Refin to the correct gold nitro by Lay’s in OH.
* Pro Refret with nice big frets (no nibs, sorry)
* HM inlays installed during refret process
* RS Guitarworks Aged single line single ring tuners
* Pigtail lightweight tailpiece and steel studs/bushings
* Seymour Duncan Antiquities p90s
* RS Gutiarworks vintage wiring kit.
* Vintage Clone plastic parts
* Shielding paint in the electronics cavities
* no cert.
* custom shop case.

i'm very close to the $ needed. i'm trying

CzarIvan

Reaction score
Does the guitar sound as good as you describe? I'm just trying to wrap my head around why you'd want to trade, just to have a darkback. FInancially, it would be benefit you to keep your GT and not worry about trading it off. If you're anything like the rest of us, as soon as you get your GT Darkback, it wont sound the same. And it will drive you crazy that much more.

Just my thoughts.

hey, sorry, this must have slipped my view.

yeah, the guitar sounds awesome, there is no doubt about that.

i'm not going darkback, i'm going "dark front" :)..

what i want to do is get a '54 and completely strip it. paint the front black and the back (which is usually natural) would be cherry like on a burst. Getting another one is a risk as far as tone, but I think i'm ok taking that risk.

Neodustin

Reaction score
My mistake :) Sounds pretty unique. If you seal the deal I'd like to see the finished product.

Jessenoah

Reaction score
STUPID CHEAP price for a guitar that is all decked out and ready to go!

Latest Threads