Cab question

Memphs202

Reaction score
i picked up a very nice Carvin 2x12 cab the guy told me it was loaded with 2 V30's 8 ohm speakers wired in series. so my question is it a 8 ohm cab or a 16 ohm cab? he told me it was 8ohm but from what im reading when 2 8ohm speakers are wired together in series the cab becomes 16 ohm :hmm:

Shelbyblues

Reaction score
i picked up a very nice Carvin 2x12 cab the guy told me it was loaded with 2 V30's 8 ohm speakers wired in series. so my question is it a 8 ohm cab or a 16 ohm cab? he told me it was 8ohm but from what im reading when 2 8ohm speakers are wired together in series the cab becomes 16 ohm :hmm:

Two 8 ohm speakers in series is 16 Ohms.

Two 8 ohm speakers in parallel is 4 ohms.

Series doubles and parallel cuts in half.

Best thing to do is open it up and see for yourself before you hook it to a head.

Hope this helps.

Memphs202

Reaction score
it does thank you... i wouldnt have even asked but the cab has NO marking what so ever on it other then the carvin badge on the front .. just going on the back of the speakers its self ok so i need to plug it into the 16 ohm jack in my head correct?

Shelbyblues

Reaction score
it does thank you... i wouldnt have even asked but the cab has NO marking what so ever on it other then the carvin badge on the front .. just going on the back of the speakers its self ok so i need to plug it into the 16 ohm jack in my head correct?

If you have two 8 ohm speakers that are wired in series then 16 ohm total load would be correct.

Memphs202

Reaction score
ahhh either way its super kool i love them cars and again thanks for the help on the cab!

Deftone

Reaction score
I wasn't aware of this either, thanks Shelby.

Now all I need to do is figure out how to wire in parallel and how to wire in series.

hipofutura

Reaction score
Now all I need to do is figure out how to wire in parallel and how to wire in series.

Yeah, right. It's not like trying to calculate the hyperbolic curve to the moon! It only involves either three or four wires. Way to simple for you engineering guys! :laugh2::laugh2:

Latest Threads