Cab choices for Orange Micro Terror?

Gojo03

Reaction score
I work away from home. I have an Orange Micro Terror that I'm bringing out here with me this time. I have to ship everything and store it when I go home, so a big cab isn't an option. I have only used my MT on bigger cabs, 4x12" and 2x12". I'm looking at either getting a 1x12" cab like the blackstar or 2 of the orange 1x8" cabs. I don't really need loud, just better overall sound

So what do you guys think will sound better? BS 1x12" or Orange 2x8"

kevinpaul

Reaction score
Go with any good 12" X 1 cab. The main reason I didn't buy the micro terror was the 8" cab. That is all they would let me test it.

Gojo03

Reaction score
but did you get the chance to try 2 of those cabs with it? I'm pretty sure 1x12 would sound better than 1x8.

C_Becker

Dat Gibson smell
Reaction score
I had 2 of the Ppc108. It does look very cool as a mini-stack, but the sound from even one 12" speaker is worlds better. Even on low volumes, the 12" sounds fuller.
I eventually sold the mini cabs and bought two cheap 112s. 110 bucks each with a V30 speaker and they sound surprisingly good

ktj

Reaction score
I have a 2 of the 1x8s...definitely better than one on its own.
I haven't tried a 1x12 on its own but look at Traynor's - some come with a V30 and reasonably priced used.
I currently us an orange 2x12 PPC which is absolutely fantastic.

Mr. Satchmo

Reaction score
See if you can get a good deal on a used orange cab. The 112 is huge for a 112 and it sounds huge. It's a great option for many amps, my rockerverb MKIII sounds huge through it as does my HT-5, dark terror and tiny terror. It's a fantastic cab

LSAR

Reaction score
My experience has been through a Jet City 112 that I got because it was the cheapest non-MDF 112 I could find new. I also tried one with the PPC108 when they were brand new to the world and the part of me that died that day is still dead. Thru the Jet City 112 it kicked ass for quite some time. Solid cab, solid speaker, 100 speaker watts available left plenty of room however at full volume there was a slightly weird breakup I didn't love. Swapped in a WGS Veteran 30 @ 8 ohms and that's solved, with buckets upon buckets of greasy delicious tone things now present. The difference between a nice burger combo, and that same combo upgraded to poutine and a milkshake with an apple turnover or pie to follow and the cashier at the associated fast food joint is hot as hell, if you catch my drift.

Tl;dr is 112 with Vintage 30 or similar is a very good idea as others say. Trying to go the 8 ohm rather than 16 ohm route if possible may or may not be advantageous if playing at max volume. Avoid PPC108 if you value tones.

Gojo03

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I just picked up a 1x10 with a RC in it. I have that in my SuperChamp XD and know I like that speaker. If I don't, it looks like there is plenty room in the cab for a 1x12. I'm sure it'll do the trick! Thanks again

Classicplayer

Reaction score
I have the Micro Dark which is about 20 watts. I paired it with the PPC108 cab which works in a small practice room and at practice volumes. In this environment it works fine for me, but I would like to add an Orange PPC112 at some point (which might not work in a small area). I know the larger speaker cab will bring out the finer points of the Micro Dark, but the 8" cab is quite good if not pushed to its limit.

Classicplayer

GySgtFTL

Reaction score
I had an Orange PPC112 and it's a great cab; Built very well and has the Celestion Vintage 30.
That said though, I figured out I didn't really need it because I have a Super Champ XD and a Deluxe Reverb RI FSR. I replaced the speaker in both of those amps with a Celestion Alnico Gold: The ten-inch in the Super Champ and a 12 in the DRRI. I simply unplug the speaker from the back of the respective amp and plug it into the Micro Terror and voila, an awesome-sounding combination.

Gojo03

Reaction score
I had an Orange PPC112 and it's a great cab; Built very well and has the Celestion Vintage 30.
That said though, I figured out I didn't really need it because I have a Super Champ XD and a Deluxe Reverb RI FSR. I replaced the speaker in both of those amps with a Celestion Alnico Gold: The ten-inch in the Super Champ and a 12 in the DRRI. I simply unplug the speaker from the back of the respective amp and plug it into the Micro Terror and voila, an awesome-sounding combination.

I have a SCXD with the Rajun cajun in it. I have ran the MT through that before like you were talking about. Also through a JCM602 2x12 and my 1960 4x12 cab. Those all sounded great. Those all stay at home though. Anything else I have out here while I'm at work goes through the APO. If this deal for the 1x10 falls through, I'll probably just get the 8" cabs and deal with it. I don't have a big room, so I'm sure it'll work. We go outside and jam every once in awhile and I'm sure it'll keep up with the other guys. Everyone out here has a small rig.

Semper Fi!

Classicplayer

Reaction score
I have a SCXD with the Rajun cajun in it. I have ran the MT through that before like you were talking about. Also through a JCM602 2x12 and my 1960 4x12 cab. Those all sounded great. Those all stay at home though. Anything else I have out here while I'm at work goes through the APO. If this deal for the 1x10 falls through, I'll probably just get the 8" cabs and deal with it. I don't have a big room, so I'm sure it'll work. We go outside and jam every once in awhile and I'm sure it'll keep up with the other guys. Everyone out here has a small rig.

Semper Fi!

The drawback of my PPC108 is the bass frequencies will sound good in a small space, but, naturally, in a sizable room, those same frequencies aren't represented equally in the mix. I play in a room about 12' by 15' with about 8' ceilings and have this tiny Micro Dark and 8" cab almost 2' feet off of the carpeted floor. The amp sounds good from most points in that room. Take it outside or a room twice that floor area and that same great tone is lost.

Until I get used to my very first Orange amp, I know that I won't be getting the PPC112 cab. I will try to take the Micro Dark to a local shop though, and sample one first.

Clasicplayer

Gojo03

Reaction score
The drawback of my PPC108 is the bass frequencies will sound good in a small space, but, naturally, in a sizable room, those same frequencies aren't represented equally in the mix. I play in a room about 12' by 15' with about 8' ceilings and have this tiny Micro Dark and 8" cab almost 2' feet off of the carpeted floor. The amp sounds good from most points in that room. Take it outside or a room twice that floor area and that same great tone is lost.

Until I get used to my very first Orange amp, I know that I won't be getting the PPC112 cab. I will try to take the Micro Dark to a local shop though, and sample one first.

Clasicplayer
That's what I was kinda hoping to combat by adding the second 8" cab. Hopefully the. The room I'm in is about 6'x12', lol. Not exactly a concert hall

Classicplayer

Reaction score
Yes. I had the same thought process as you came up with RE: two small cabs. Right now, my "setup" seems to work for me and I know that (in my case) a 2nd. PPC108 maybe pushing the volume up more than I need right now. I also like keeping things simple and "compact" (hence my idea of trying a PPC112 later). Once I start adding equipment to an already good sound, I begin to lose track of why I play guitar in the first place; and that is to improve and develop my skills at it further.

Classicplayer

Gojo03

Reaction score
If the other cab falls through, I might just try one 8 to get by for awhile. Being compact is good here

Gojo03

Reaction score
The cab showed up today! So far I like it. It definitely sounds big and full and way louder than I need! I think I may need to pick up a reverb pedal...

Latest Threads