Cab Advice for an Orange Dual Terror

steppin_razor

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Here it goes:

I am in the process of purchasing an Orange Dual Terror and don't have a cab for it yet. In fact, this will be my first head/cab setup as my normal rig is a 100 watt Mesa Nomad combo. At this point, I'm fairly sure that I want to go with a 2x12 cab. Also, I would like the cab to perform well on the 30,15, and 7 watt modes.

After doing some research here in the forum I've learned that there isn't a lot of love for Vintage 30's and that they don't particularly perform well at low volumes. Since these are what are preloaded into the orange cabs I have ruled those out. I've also looked at Avatar cabs. I've heard some great things about those guys and they provide a lot of options (like G1H30s).

I'm not a super high gain medal player. I like more of a vintage (at times a garage-y vibe). Can anyone recommend to me some speakers that would be paired well with the Dual Terror? Maybe another custom cab maker that you prefer? Advice on ordering the physical cab and wiring it up myself with speakers? (I've wired entire guitars before so I don't think that should be a problem)

BGLeduc

Reaction score
I currently have a DT mated to an Orange 1x12 with a V30 in it. I find that it can sound pretty good if the head is cranked at least 50% up. At lower volumes with the gain up, not so much. But that's really the head's fault, and not the cab. Unfortunately, those sweet tones do not happen at family friendly volumes, thus I think a Weber MASS attenuator may be in my future.

Tomorrow, I have an Avatar 4x12 with two V30's and two G12H's being delivered. That seems to be a popular combo from what I have read. I have wanted a 4x12 for years, and am looking forward to it.

Brian

notoperational

Reaction score
What does get a lot of love on MLP? Phaez amps? :laugh2:

Vintage-30s get a bad rep on here, and on other forums for one reason and one reason only. People. Don't. Know. What they are talking about. They get on these forums and discuss and compare things they haven't even played or owned. What is trustworthy about uneducated posts? V30s are great speakers and they are especially great with Orange amps. I personally have owned three different Orange heads, a Bogner Shiva, and currently am playing an 83' JCM800 2204... I have only owned one cab throughout all of these, my Orange PPC4x12 cab with the original (and well loved) Vintage-30s. I also owned an Orange 2x12 cab with V30s at a point in time as well.

IMHO, the V30 is the only speaker to run with any Orange, their mid-range just works so well with them. I do like the Dr.Z Z-best cab a LOT, and that is paired with a G12H30 and a V30. That is another cool thing about them, they pair up well with other speakers. I have also herd them mixed with Greenbacks and liked what I herd.

Vintage-30s are the factory choices for Bogner, Bad Cat, Matchless, Dr.Z, Orange, Marshall, Mesa, etc, etc, etc, etc. Not good enough for MLP though!

jimmyohio75

Reaction score
What does get a lot of love on MLP? Phaez amps? :laugh2:

Vintage-30s get a bad rep on here, and on other forums for one reason and one reason only. People. Don't. Know. What they are talking about. They get on these forums and discuss and compare things they haven't even played or owned. What is trustworthy about uneducated posts? V30s are great speakers and they are especially great with Orange amps. I personally have owned three different Orange heads, a Bogner Shiva, and currently am playing an 83' JCM800 2204... I have only owned one cab throughout all of these, my Orange PPC4x12 cab with the original (and well loved) Vintage-30s. I also owned an Orange 2x12 cab with V30s at a point in time as well.

IMHO, the V30 is the only speaker to run with any Orange, their mid-range just works so well with them. I do like the Dr.Z Z-best cab a LOT, and that is paired with a G12H30 and a V30. That is another cool thing about them, they pair up well with other speakers. I have also herd them mixed with Greenbacks and liked what I herd.

Vintage-30s are the factory choices for Bogner, Bad Cat, Matchless, Dr.Z, Orange, Marshall, Mesa, etc, etc, etc, etc. Not good enough for MLP though!

Agreed.......I have owned many amp heads including Egnater, Orange, Traynor, Marshall, Jet City and Reeves. I have only used my trusty Avatar
1X12 Vintage cab with a well broken in V30 with all of these heads and they have all sounded great. I suppose I could spend hours wasting time and money buying and selling lots of different speakers to perhaps get some slight improvement but to my ears the V30 sounds pretty damn good. My band plays crunchy hard rock and the V30 does this stuff very well. :dude:

notoperational

Reaction score
I currently have a DT mated to an Orange 1x12 with a V30 in it. I find that it can sound pretty good if the head is cranked at least 50% up. At lower volumes with the gain up, not so much. But that's really the head's fault, and not the cab. Unfortunately, those sweet tones do not happen at family friendly volumes, thus I think a Weber MASS attenuator may be in my future.

Tomorrow, I have an Avatar 4x12 with two V30's and two G12H's being delivered. That seems to be a popular combo from what I have read. I have wanted a 4x12 for years, and am looking forward to it.

Brian

Even with it cut down to 7-watts? I would agree with you, the Terror amps certainly like being played at a considerable volume. Not deafening by any means, but I can see that.

steppin_razor

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the advice, I am thinking about a Vintage 30 and a G12H30 combo in a 2x12.

However, I want this combo to perform well at the lower wattage settings. Does anyone have any experience with using these higher wattage speakers with a lower wattage output from a head?

BGLeduc

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the advice, I am thinking about a Vintage 30 and a G12H30 combo in a 2x12.

However, I want this combo to perform well at the lower wattage settings. Does anyone have any experience with using these higher wattage speakers with a lower wattage output from a head?

My 4x12 Avatar with two V30's and two G12H30's arrived yesterday, and to put it mildly, I am completely blown away. I never owned a 4x12 of any kind before, so I have no point of comparison, but going from the Orange 1x12 (with a V30) to the new cab has been a revelation to me.

The Orange DT just loves the new cab, and does not require ear splitting levels to sound really, really good. Just to be clear, no one would have wanted to be sleeping in the next room, but it was nowhere near deafening, and my family downstairs was not complaining that I should turn it down. For additional reference, the stuff I was riffing on was mostly in the Classic Rock vein (Zep, AC/DC, Sabbath, Hendrix, Trower, James Gang...).

Since "volume levels" can be somewhat subjective, and the question revolves around an Orange DT, I will say that for my initial introduction to the new cab, I had the head set with all tubes on, power switch at 1/2, volume at 9 o'clock, gain anywhere from 10 o'clock to 3 o'clock. That was true for both the TT channel and the Fat channel. I got satisfying tones with the amp running clean, clean with some dirt pedals, or just running the gain up on the amp.

I have struggled with finding "my tone" with the DT/1x12, and found that I needed stupid volume levels to get there. I was actually contemplating selling that rig, but the 4x12 appears to have solved those problems for me.

With the 4x12, everything I tried last night sounded fantastic. The tonal balance of the new cab just seemed perfect to me. I can't say if it's the mix of speakers in the new cab, the size/volume of the cab, its placement in the room relative to where I sit, how it couples to the floor, all or none of the above, but I could not be happier.

I wish I had gotten a quality cabinet like this a long, long time ago. I may not have bought and sold and awful lot of gear. :)

BTW, Happy Thanksgiving!

Brian

BGLeduc

Reaction score
In the interest of science......:)

I ran the DT at 1/2 power, with only two tubes. Still plenty of useable tones there for practice and random noodling. In fact, with the volume knob just barely off off 0, it was still more than suitable for mucking around.

You may or may not agree, and I would not willingly give up the magic that happens at higher levels, but I would not consider this a reason NOT to go with a 2x12 or 4x12 with V30's and/or G12H30's for use with that head.

Brian

Latest Threads