CA pisses me off

PeteK

Reaction score
That's crazy! My buddy purchased two ATV's in Montana, same story, but he didn't have to pay any sales tax here in WA. Weird how his experience was much different.
I don't know, I told the gal at the licensing department there is no gad dang way that is legal. She assured me this is how it is. She said since it was never licensed, they had no record that tax was ever paid on it. I tried explaining that it wasn't purchased in WA and it wasn't a straw purchase either as I know lots of Washingtonians buy expensive things in Oregon to avoid sales tax. Like I said, I basically told them to screw off and just never licensed it.

dspelman

Reaction score
Taxes can be tricky, especially since sales tax and *use* tax are charged for in the same way. Taxes are charged by the state of your primary residence, so if you buy something in Wyoming and live in California, California will still charge tax on the item even if it never comes into the state. Whether both states charge you for the same item is up to the individual states.

Every six months or so, someone on the interboobs publishes a compendium of "the cheapest states to live in" that includes a sales tax, state income tax and state estate tax rundown for each state.

When you're doing serious estate planning, you generally need a tax (CPA) guy, a lawyer, an insurance guy, and a financial advisor. Since mostly only wealthy folks have the money to pay these guys, middle income folks have to make do with a living trust and maybe some permanent life insurance. Everything else seems to get sucked up in probate.

NotScott

Reaction score
If we just gave California back to the Mexicans, we would solve a lot of problems. Unfortunately, the Mexicans are too smart to fall for it.

JonCanfield

Reality is over rated
Reaction score
Did a little more research, it looks like I wouldn't have had to pay CA if the company had issued a separate W2 for the time in WA before we moved. After 5 years, I doubt that's going to be possible, but I'll check with them

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
If you lived in WA for part on a year and had income there, you owe WA state income taxes on that income. And if you lived in CA for another part of that year and had income, you owe CA income taxes on that income. Bet in this case of split residency and state of income source, taxes should be divided. Double taxation is not legal.
This is correct.
A friend of mine is a dual resident. He has a home and office in Vegas as well as LA. He pays CA taxes only on the portion of income earned out of the LA office.
California used to try to tax it all, including pensions, but the courts struck that down.
When I retire, I'm moving to a state with no income tax. That 10% raise will be nice.

marksoundguitars

Chief Paint Sniffer
Reaction score
One of these days, that San Andreas thing in the Superman movie is bound to happen.

Not saying that I'm looking forward to it, but there might be some beachfront property opportunities ... ;)

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
How about the concept of taxation with misrepresentation?
This.
Taxation without representation is bad enough.
Representation without taxation is worse, and completely unfair to those being taxed.
There are roughly 80 million taxpayers in the US. The majority pay little to no Federal income tax due to the progressive structure and personal exemptions.
A lot of people cry out for a flat tax... a lot of people who are middle and lower classes who believe the top 1% are not paying "their fair share". Nope... A flat tax would completely screw anyone making less than $200k. The current <16% brackets that cover about 80% of us would move up to a flat 18%. The >20% brackets that currently hammer those making more than $150k would drop to 18%.

The founding fathers set up the system so that only educated landowners had the right to vote.
Now, and social media has made it even worse, a vocal minority can drum up support for measures that discriminate against a specific group of individuals who lack the ability to counter their emotional arguments in public opinion and the ballot box, so they are left fighting for their rights in the courts.

marksoundguitars

Chief Paint Sniffer
Reaction score
This.
Taxation without representation is bad enough.
Representation without taxation is worse, and completely unfair to those being taxed.
There are roughly 80 million taxpayers in the US. The majority pay little to no Federal income tax due to the progressive structure and personal exemptions.
A lot of people cry out for a flat tax... a lot of people who are middle and lower classes who believe the top 1% are not paying "their fair share". Nope... A flat tax would completely screw anyone making less than $200k. The current <16% brackets that cover about 80% of us would move up to a flat 18%. The >20% brackets that currently hammer those making more than $150k would drop to 18%.

The founding fathers set up the system so that only educated landowners had the right to vote.
Now, and social media has made it even worse, a vocal minority can drum up support for measures that discriminate against a specific group of individuals who lack the ability to counter their emotional arguments in public opinion and the ballot box, so they are left fighting for their rights in the courts.
Placing blame on long dead founders won't work. You're not in their heads, but there is enough reading that you could be if you wanted.

In fact, taxation with misrepresentation is the problem. Elected officials lie to get elected, then do whatever their funding/ideological overlords tell them to do.

:p

Ghostman

Reaction score
I don't know, I told the gal at the licensing department there is no gad dang way that is legal. She assured me this is how it is. She said since it was never licensed, they had no record that tax was ever paid on it. I tried explaining that it wasn't purchased in WA and it wasn't a straw purchase either as I know lots of Washingtonians buy expensive things in Oregon to avoid sales tax. Like I said, I basically told them to screw off and just never licensed it.
he had his licensed in Montana so perhaps thats the difference

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
I live on the Central Coast, so I'm surrounded by loonies.
I can't wait to move away, but I have to wait out my parents and convince the wife.

Ghostman

Reaction score
Did a little more research, it looks like I wouldn't have had to pay CA if the company had issued a separate W2 for the time in WA before we moved. After 5 years, I doubt that's going to be possible, but I'll check with them
My wife is a tax preparer and you should have had two W2's for that year. One for WA and one for CA. I had to deal with some of that too, because the company I worked for had projects in Oregon. However, there's a rule about the amount of time you spend working in the secondary state that I slid under so I didn't have to claim Oregon state taxes.

So many rules. So few to understand them. lol

JonCanfield

Reality is over rated
Reaction score
My wife is a tax preparer and you should have had two W2's for that year. One for WA and one for CA. I had to deal with some of that too, because the company I worked for had projects in Oregon. However, there's a rule about the amount of time you spend working in the secondary state that I slid under so I didn't have to claim Oregon state taxes.

So many rules. So few to understand them. lol
If I had known. my problem might have been that it’s the same company, just a different state

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Reaction score
I want to get out, but my wife still loves it here.

I have a 30 acre farm in Ohio and she may have to stay here alone and we can visit each other after I retire in 2026.
I live in Ohio. You have a great retirement. ......um.....where's this farm and do you have any recent pictures? :)

LPMarshall Hack

Reaction score
I just got hit with a 1300 late tax bill from California. For money I earned while we lived in WA. I get it if I lived here and worked there, but we didn't. And of course, they waited 5 years to bill me so it had some nice interest charges.
Bastards.
Well how the hell do you think we pay for the illegal aliens? CA thanks you for your contribution.

Latest Threads