CA pisses me off

defcrew

Reaction score
You'd be surprised how complicated the taxes of pro ball players become. They get taxed by every state they play in. I'm not sure if their home state or the team's home state double dips them or not. We're all used to it but we shouldn't be, IMO. As Marvin Gaye sang in Trouble Man: Ain't but three things that's for sure--taxes, death and trouble

Bill Hicklin

Reaction score
You'd be surprised how complicated the taxes of pro ball players become. They get taxed by every state they play in. I'm not sure if their home state or the team's home state double dips them or not. We're all used to it but we shouldn't be, IMO. As Marvin Gaye sang in Trouble Man: Ain't but three things that's for sure--taxes, death and trouble

And pro baseball and hockey players have to deal with Canadian taxes too.

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
I am thinking of moving to Puerto Rico (no federal income tax), where you pay (if you do it right) about 4% in taxes. I'd have to be physically in PR at least a portion of 153 days a year...or maintain no other residence outside of PR, during the year.
those incentives were put into place years ago __ to stimulate growth / the poor economy

plus . lots of bugs . stray animals . sweaty tourists . hurricanes . and power outages happening on a regular basis

not worth it

Gtarzan81

Reaction score
those incentives were put into place years ago __ to stimulate growth / the poor economy

plus . lots of bugs . stray animals . sweaty tourists . hurricanes . and power outages happening on a regular basis

not worth it
I just got back from 2 weeks there, not to mention the previous times I've been. I can tell you how it really is.

nauc

Reaction score
you could always grow weed in Cali and sell it to friends around the US and make bank, but you didnt hear that from me ;)

Dolebludger

Reaction score
If you lived in WA for part on a year and had income there, you owe WA state income taxes on that income. And if you lived in CA for another part of that year and had income, you owe CA income taxes on that income. Bet in this case of split residency and state of income source, taxes should be divided. Double taxation is not legal.

TheX

just some do0d
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you lived in WA for part on a year and had income there, you owe WA state income taxes on that income. And if you lived in CA for another part of that year and had income, you owe CA income taxes on that income. Bet in this case of split residency and state of income source, taxes should be divided. Double taxation is not legal.
And if you lived in Texas for part of the year...and had income there you wouldn't owe the state shit. I love not having state income tax.

KSG_Standard

Reaction score
I know the US Supreme Court ruled that Maryland's double taxation scheme was unconstitutional in 2015. Prior to that it was legal. Several states and municipalities had double taxation prior to 2015 and some still find ways to double tax now. As I understand it, the Federal tax law of the US was a "World Wide" tax scheme until 2016, meaning that there was double taxation ( the US collected taxes on all income earned worldwide if the moneys were repatriated). Most other countries have a territorial tax scheme, we now have a hybrid scheme.

States should offer a tax credit for taxes paid in non-residency states. California taxes all income earned worldwide as long as you meet their definition of residency.

JonCanfield

Reality is over rated
Reaction score
WA doesn’t have state income tax, but I doubt that would have made a difference to CA.

when you think about it, we get taxed multiple times already. buy something and you pay sales tax when the money used was taxed when earned.

KSG_Standard

Reaction score
Another example of legal, double taxation in the U.S. is the income tax levied once on corporate income and then again when profits are distributed as dividends to shareholders.

spoony

Premium Member
Reaction score
Let's all be honest and call it what it is extortion. The various forms of governments all have several things in common. They are blood sucking ng leeches that will never get enough. They do not work for us we work for them.

You ever notice, for the most part, how officers rarely give out tickets during the commute to work but seem to be there when you get off. Or what about the design of the roads, how they make it easier for traffic to flow to the work place and not the other way around.

You know why the government works hard to crack down on organized crime?

s

Last edited:

Zungle

Reaction score
There's no income tax in WA....

LPSGME

Reaction score
I don't understand what you guys are complaining about - as taxes are good.

Some states levy substantial taxes on unavoidable necessities of life (like shelter), over and over, even if you have no income - and their people seem to love it.

They also love being taxed unequally. For example, Non New York City residents (outside of NYC's boroughs) pay a shelter tax rate that is 7 times higher than NYC borough residents pay on equally valued homes.

Fortunately some institutions are there to help. In NYC, 1 in 10 children are homeless, in that they reside in temporary housing like homeless shelters and motel rooms. So to help them along, the schools also tax shelter regardless of income - thereby making housing even more unaffordable.

And if you are old and/or disabled, and no longer able to work to pay the money demanded, no worry - as armed public servants will be sent to help you into the street.

Fortunately, affordable housing is provided in some places - so long as you are lucky enough to win a lottery (that is occasionally held every few years) that will get you on to a 5 year long wait list.

defcrew

Reaction score
WA doesn’t have state income tax, but I doubt that would have made a difference to CA.

when you think about it, we get taxed multiple times already. buy something and you pay sales tax when the money used was taxed when earned.
Not to mention how your elders are taxed on income and then you'll be taxed on it as well if you are lucky enough to inherit some. At the same time, given we run deficits in the trillions and are so deep in the red as a nation it's kind of hard to see a route we get out I don't see it ending any time soon. It's all Monopoly money, right? Why worry?