CA pisses me off

JonCanfield

Reality is over rated
Reaction score
I just got hit with a 1300 late tax bill from California. For money I earned while we lived in WA. I get it if I lived here and worked there, but we didn't. And of course, they waited 5 years to bill me so it had some nice interest charges.
Bastards.

JonCanfield

Reality is over rated
Reaction score
Is it a legit bill? What does your tax person say?
Sadly, it is legit. CA seems to think you're lucky enough to live here, you should pay us for the privilege - even if you lived and earned in a different state for 8 of the 12 months

JonCanfield

Reality is over rated
Reaction score
I had similar deal happen when moving from TX to CA in the past. I don’t understand how a state with state income tax can tax you for wages not earned in said state.
I don't either, but if you don't pay it, they garnish your wages. I had sent in a protest, got a letter saying someone would be in touch. Now, 2 weeks later, it's a collection notice.
When I do retire, we're not staying. It's sad, Kathy & I are both CA natives, but the place ain't what it used to be

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
I got a letter from the IRS stating that because I defaulted on a Sears Canada store card, and that money was supplied by the Chase Manhattan Bank, it was considered income and I owed taxes on it. In my small, but comfy Canadian apartment, I tore it up and tossed it.

Howard2k

Premium Member
Reaction score
I got a letter from the IRS stating that because I defaulted on a Sears Canada store card, and that money was supplied by the Chase Manhattan Bank, it was considered income and I owed taxes on it. In my small, but comfy Canadian apartment, I tore it up and tossed it.

Do you have US citizenship? Or are they just hoping you mail money to anyone who asks.

Howard2k

Premium Member
Reaction score
Just looking for a sucker is my guess. Canadian citizen, Canadian resident. They didn't have shit.
PM me your address and we’ll test the theory. Just in case. :laugh2:

Seriously. Idiots.

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
I paid my local taxes for the year __ but kept getting small amount nonsense bills for fees that I couldn't even look up . they recently sent me another bill for " processing paperwork " to collect the other fees :eek2:

$220 that I'm not going to pay . but I have a funny feeling that they'll end up getting it somehow

Pennsylvania still has a number of Commonwealth Laws , which create a set of loopholes that allow this nonsense fVckery to keep happening

Tone deaf

Reaction score
When I moved out of New York City (and state), I could set my watch by the demand letters for ~$20K that I would get from the NYS revenue office. I'd politely responded "Go **** yourselves, I haven't worked a day in New York all year and have the records to prove it." I never gave them a dime.

I recently came across an app that helps you prove your residency for tax sh*t like this.

I am thinking of moving to Puerto Rico (no federal income tax), where you pay (if you do it right) about 4% in taxes. I'd have to be physically in PR at least a portion of 153 days a year...or maintain no other residence outside of PR, during the year.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
The're going to send you to Vietnam..

Latest Threads