C8 Corvettes?

elephantrider

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know a few owners. they rave about it. me, not so much.

BangoFan

Reaction score
I saw a few at Barrett Jackson auction in January. They were also selling the first one off the assembly line. It was for charity. It sold for $3,000,000.

fett

Get fett. It pays.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I just don't get it. Why would the owner of any exotic or rare vehicle park right beside another car in a space so narrow that door dings are a given? I drive a 1977 Dodge Custom Van and I take 2 or 3 or 4 spaces. The lots are full of them when I shop. :dude:

Minte

I need a snappy title
Reaction score
My C8 came and went. Got it in July and sold it in August. To be fair, the dealer had 3 other customers that wanted it badly. The car sold for $38 more than I paid for it. This was a review I did on it when it arrived.

First thing. The car imho looks better in person than it does in pictures. The styling is a bit over the top, in some respects. My biggest gripe is the side scoops could/should be about 1/3 smaller. The rear end is kind of busy. The front end I like and it looks the best from the side view.

Unfortunately, Chevy was clever about 500 mile break in period. The dash and tach changes to it's higher rev limit at 501 miles. I'll report later on performance. But so far, it feels like 495hp.

It concentrates on being a drivers car. Instruments are easy to read. My favorite thing is the position and easy access to the screen. My least favorite is the control arms for wipers, etc. They just don't feel right to me. Very cramped around an oddly shaped and quite small steering wheel. I might get used to a HUD, but initially I find it annoying. You have to look down when your eyes should be on the road. It can be turned off. The Bose system sound great!

What doesn't sound great. And I hope this changes when more HP becomes available is the engine. Reminds me of a Buick. At start up and idle it shows potential but out on the road, with the windows open and the stereo off I could hardly hear it. It clearly needs something aftermarket.

Fit and finish is very good, it exceeds my expectations. There is another feature I don't like at all. There is almost a wall between the passenger and driver. I tried the passenger seat and wouldn't want to spend much time in it. It's very cramped. A smaller woman would be fine.

This is the picture I snapped when I picked it up at the dealership. I have better pics on my home computer and I can add a few of them from the office parking lot when I get home this evening.
image0.jpeg

Attachments

efstop

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure if it matters since I don't know what anyone would do with the info, but there is a rear plate as well...
It's been photoshopped ;)
Some people don't like to display their plates. Hot Rod Magazine always put their own plate on a vehicle being photographed. Someone with the registration info could find and steal the car.

PeteK

Reaction score
My C8 came and went. Got it in July and sold it in August.
Why did you decide to sell it? Your short review sounded like you were mostly pleased with it...

DotStudio

Reaction score
Why did you decide to sell it? Your short review sounded like you were mostly pleased with it...
Probably because he owns a Ferrari and it seemed redundant or comparatively inadequate.

Minte

I need a snappy title
Reaction score
Mostly is the operative word. Overall it is a nice car. If there wasn't anything in my garage to compare it to, I would've thought harder about flipping it. It's now in the hands of a fellow in Idaho Falls. The offer he made for it was too good to pass on and I really wasn't in love with it.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
I would like to thank all of you who responded to my post on this subject.. After readiing it all, and looking at the pics, I have decided to cool my desires for a C8. Those of us in the mountain west still can't find one to test drive. And it is not like I am afoot, as my four car garage is full of great cars (for their purpose). If I were to buy a C8, II would need to sell one of what I have. And I honestly don't know what I would sell. Unlike Minte, there is nothing there that reallly compares with a C8. But there are different things. Like the S 2000 which is what the British sports cars of the 60s were supposed to be like, but never were. Like the MB SLK 280, which is a good GT roadster. Like the V6 Toyota RAV4, which hauls stuff, and people too. And like the MB C 43 AMG which will scream from 0 to 60 in 4.0 wiith people in it, who are screaming if I put it in Sport + mode. Like Mente, I have the cash to buy one (though perhaps not as much as him, but who cares?). but that may not be the issue. The issue is whether I would really like to sell anything I have to make a garage spot for a C8. Given what I have, I think not.

Bluesky

Reaction score
Funny. I remember late 1983.......At the Maryland House (a rest stop on I95 in Maryland) My family had stopped there on the way to visit family for the holidays(They had the best cheesburgers!) Anyhow there its was..........an early 84 Corvette in a silver. First one I ever saw and It looked like an alien space craft. I was 16 yrs old and something moved in my pants like Linda Carter making out with Farrah. All the technology.....the dashboard looked like knight rider!

3 yrs later I bought a new 86' Vette when I got my first union job. 1986.......what a year! The Vette does make them wet!!

Now its 2020. I sold my 86 vette in 2016. Had it 30 yrs. Watched the changes through the years......nothing Chevy ever designed ever struck me like seeing that 84 Vette in 1983 ever again. The 96' blue Grand sport did make my pants a little tight ......butI never got that feeling again until recently driving a relatives Mercedes 400E Coupe. I really thought my passion for a cool car was extinguished by driving 60-80 a week for yrs.

If it moves you go get one. I did. had it for 30 yrs. It wasn't just transportation. That Vette gave me some of the best memories for Jersey Shore one night stands(when I was single), to driving with my wife on dates.......to car shows with my sons.

Go get one if it moves you.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Blue sky,

Perhaps the reason you liked the MB 400E coupe is that it was comfortable AND fast? That is why I like our MB C 43 AMG sedan, because it is basically like the 400E in a smaller, lighter package with four doors. Mechanicals are close to the same.

Now what I don’t know about the C8 is whether it is comfortable and “fits”.

motowntom

Reaction score
Here's more.

Unless I learn of a way to communicate about the C8 purchace wherein we can get down to specifics, I will just forget about it for now, until national problems settle down.
Relax Francis.......... if you don't want one don't order one. Consumer protection laws , blah,blah,blah, it's a game changing car, get over it.
Cheers

Last edited:

Latest Threads