Bzzzzzzzzz…show me your Bumblebees

Dilver

Reaction score
Well, I’ll be damned: I can hear the difference. Found this old .022 Bumblebee cap recently, and decided to give it a ride in my Junior. I could hear the difference right away. The tone is…”smoother”. Probably just means it’s drifted a bit, but I do like what I’m hearing, so it stays. Anyone else have a cavity shot to share?
CD924B5A-7102-47EE-806F-EAC15C3F7EAF.jpeg
t

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

Mine are 0.012 uf Mylar Bees in parallel with old 0.01 uf Brazilian PIO

GT40

Reaction score
Fake Gibson ones from the factory in my 2017 LP

Cjsinla

Reaction score
I think some caps do sound smoother and seem to be a little more usable. I got a reissue Tele with paper in oil caps and it is very smooth. I do have a couple of old Gibsons and the tone knob on the Junior does seem to work pretty well. I do have a pic of the cap in my ‘60 Melody Maker but not of the one in the Jr. I swear that some caps sound nasally, more like a wah-wah than others, orange drops come to mind. I dont really use my time knob that much so it doesn’t matter that much what’s in there.

63C7B4B8-E68D-400E-BDC4-0ABE4804CF2A.jpeg

This is what came in the Tele.
A1437172-49E1-4E4B-88FE-4F4B6BD43A0B.jpeg

Tubejockey

Reaction score
I'm due for a colonoscopy, so I'll have to upload my cavity shot later.

I don't believe in bumblebees because I believe in science. I even understand the science. I did actually leave the phony bees in my R0, because I didn't want to lose them in case I ever sell it. They seem to sound OK in there with the pickups it has. In all my other Pauls I traded up for a smaller value that is much more useful. Usually end up somewhere between 6n8F and u01F.

moreles

Reaction score
The change in cap value when a swap is made is way more impactful than the cap composition. I use bees and other groovy caps, too, mostly to keep other people from telling me I "have to," but in my many installations it has been cap value (actual, not what's branded, which is a +/- range) that accounts for any difference/improvement. Not to be facetious, but my belief is that most perceived improvements are a function of listener attentiveness and scrutiny more than anything.

Dilver

Reaction score
I think some caps do sound smoother and seem to be a little more usable. I got a reissue Tele with paper in oil caps and it is very smooth. I do have a couple of old Gibsons and the tone knob on the Junior does seem to work pretty well. I do have a pic of the cap in my ‘60 Melody Maker but not of the one in the Jr. I swear that some caps sound nasally, more like a wah-wah than others, orange drops come to mind. I dont really use my time knob that much so it doesn’t matter that much what’s in there.

View attachment 543300

This is what came in the Tele.
View attachment 543301
I agree…I can hear a difference. I know an electrical engineer would tell me that it’s nonsense - if the values are the same.

Subterfuge

Reaction score
a soon to be installed new Luxe PIO shown on top, and the factory installed 2017 bee mylar look-a-like factory installed on bottom .. I think the bottom looks more "authentic" .. go figure
IMG_1603.JPG

Latest Threads