Bye Bye Richlite, Hello Ebony - The Novel

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Congrats, I'm very glad you got what you wanted.

My new Custom has Richlite, and I'm fine with that. I really love the guitar how it feels/plays and sounds, where it has a really nice deep full rich tone to it with some nice growl as well.

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
I had a Les Paul Shred studio with a richlite board and Floyd Trem,........ double down on the badness.....:laugh2:....I like the board and the Floyd, but the guitar was weak in the sustain department as well as tone.....I bought it for a project platform to test out pickups and pots and such but I never got the chance because i was offered more than i paid for it so i let it go.......the only guitar i sold in 30 years....:eek2:

Anyways the Richlite was very nice, but all my Customs have Ebony. Mr Otter you did what was right for you,....good deal..:cheers:

DarrellV

Sharp as a bowlin' ball! Oh, Look! ..SQUIRREL!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Should I put on a dunce hat and sit in a corner now? Lol
No, it means you should fess up and post said anomalies so I can refresh my memory as to why we don't like them...o_O

And you! Don't encourage him! :slap:

At least till I see the strangeness he is guilty of....

Yeah, I'm too lazy to flip over to his NGD and find out for myself....:rolleyes:

scozz

Reaction score
Nice Custom OP.

Ebony on the left, Richlite on the right. I can't tell the difference when I'm playing them.

View attachment 295937
Really though...how much of a difference does the fretboard make regarding tone? I’m mean there’s got to be dozens of other things on a electric guitar that have more effect on tone than the fretboard! No?

Aesthetics, feel, yes. Tone and sustain...I think it’s closer to slight than dramatic.

I think the only way you could really compare the differences you’d have to take one guitar...listen to it’s tone characteristics...remove the fretboard and replace that same guitar with the other fretboard you’re comparing.

Even guitars with the exact same features, pickups, pots, tuners, nut, wood etc. will have different sound characteristics.

crazytrain513

Reaction score
Really though...how much of a difference does the fretboard make regarding tone? I’m mean there’s got to be dozens of other things on a electric guitar that have more effect on tone than the fretboard! No?

Aesthetics, feel, yes. Tone and sustain...I think it’s closer to slight than dramatic.

I think the only way you could really compare the differences you’d have to take one guitar...listen to it’s tone characteristics...remove the fretboard and replace that same guitar with the other fretboard you’re comparing.

Even guitars with the exact same features, pickups, pots, tuners, nut, wood etc. will have different sound characteristics.
Well that's the thing. There ARE a lot of factors but they all add up in the end.

One thing I know for sure is that any Custom I've ever played, same pickups and same wiring in some cases as my Trad or Standard, theres always an upper end "zing" that I don't hear with anything non-ebony equipped.

I don't hear it with Richlite, but that one might be my imagination.

JeffH66

Pelham Blue Addict
Reaction score
Very nice looking guitar Mr. Otter and I'd say a very worthwhile trade. Congrats.

Martins LP

Reaction score

I never understand how it feels so different. Does anyone’s fingers make much contact with the fret board? I don’t think mine do, they pretty much just rest on the strings and I press down quite hard. I’m trying to learn to be lighter and retrain my habits after years of playing with 13’s.

I’ve always thought that if we could all feel the wood so much then the fret markers would drive me crazy as they would feel so different but in reality I don’t even notice or feel them.

I’ve always preferred rosewood boards on strats but I recently played a lovely custom shop guitar with maple and it was great. It made me question why I’ve always ruled out maple guitars? Aesthetically i’ll always lean toward rosewood though.