Buzz Feiten numbers?

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a guitar that was built for me by a local luthier a few years ago that
Was built with the Buzz Feiten system from scratch. Meaning that it doesn't have the retro fit shelf nut, but that the fretboard itself is slightly shortened from nut to fret 1 and the nut moved a teeny bit closer to fret 1

I love the system and I want to do the same for the axe I'm building now.
Other people don't like it and that's certainly their prerogative, but I'm not looking for a discussion about that. I like it.

I have a Peterson strobe tuner already that has Feiten offsets built in.

What I can't seem to determine anywhere (I've looked) is what the exact distance from the nut to fret 1 should be, and unless I pull the nut off my existing axe, and pull the fret wire out of the first fret, I can't get a 100% precise measurement. It's an ebony board, and the original stainless frets which are in perfect condition, so I'd rather not risk tearing out any wood if I don't have to not to mention ruining a perfectly good fret

I'll do it if I have to, but it would save me that work if someone just knows the number. The guy that built my existing axe has since gotten cancer and is in the hospital. I'd be a royal ass if I called him up and said "hey how ya feelin? What's the distance from nut to fret 1 for Buzz Feiten?"

For a 25.5 scale length guitar, does anyone know what the exact measurement should be?

David Collins

Reaction score
.030" compensation for electric guitar with plain g. So for a 25.5" scale, 1.401" rather than the conventional 1.431" from the nut to the center of the first fret.

Of course true measurements can vary in real life application, so if you want to replicate the exact layout of an existing guitar, it may be better to measure and copy it rather than going from the theoretically prescribed numbers. Just measure from face of the nut to the near edge of the fret, then add half the measured fret width. Simple to do with a set of calipers.

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Premium Member
Reaction score
.030" compensation for electric guitar with plain g. So for a 25.5" scale, 1.401" rather than the conventional 1.431" from the nut to the center of the first fret.

Of course true measurements can vary in real life application, so if you want to replicate the exact layout of an existing guitar, it may be better to measure and copy it rather than going from the theoretically prescribed numbers. Just measure from face of the nut to the near edge of the fret, then add half the measured fret width. Simple to do with a set of calipers.
Thank you for both. I didn't consider measuring the way you suggested. I was fixated on getting my caliper fro the end of the board to dead center of the slot...

Latest Threads