Buying Your First Reissue--The How and Where

Kossoff6

Reaction score
So I have a stupid question for all you veterans out there. A lot of you have amazing historics and reissues. Some of you have 3 or 4 or more of them. My question is --where is the best place to shop? and--How do you go about paying for them? Finance, credit cards, or cash? I have bought 3 traditional's and 1 standard---All paid in cash except one which I made payments for at zzounds. I would kill for a 2013 1958 reissue in tobacco or bourbon burst but cant really afford the price tag on a reissue. Saving for one seems like it would take eons. Im a young guy with mediocre credit, but a good job. Any suggestions or tips? Thanks in advance

rclausen

Reaction score
Patience grasshopper. You could also start by selling some of your other guitars. I've paid cash for all the historics that I've owned. Work with some of the vendors here on the forum and tell them what you want.

christopherJ

Reaction score
Guitar Center and Sweetwater have 24 month no interest deals right now. $180 a month and an R8 is yours.

Stop the daily Starbucks and brown bag to lunch and you're golden.

CJ

Deus Vult

Banned
Reaction score
i bought my R8 from Sam Ash on a whim. I had a 20% off coupon and haggled with them for $2600 OTD. That was back in 2008 though.

I bought my R9 from another MLP forum member. I saved a ton of cash. R9s can be had in the $3000-3800 range with regularity. Sure, there's no financing but you save a lot of money.

Kossoff6

Reaction score
Ok--thanks guys--so who are some of the vendors? And I thought places like Sam Ash, Guitar Center, etc. require damn near perfect credit for financing?

rclausen

Reaction score
HOG, Marks and Eddies are great vendors. They'll beat GC prices but I don't believe they offer financing. Save up for a used historic first. Going into debt for a luxury item is not a good idea IMO.

indravayu

Reaction score
If money's tight, why not buy used? If you decide you don't like it, you can always flip it without losing much money (if you lose any - you might even make a profit). 2013 Historics should be popping up in the used market by now, plus there are plenty of great deals to be had on older Historics.

decoy205

Reaction score
Check the forum Vendors especially those that post here a lot. They are all good and know these guitars well and most have very good pricing!

Trads are good guitars but a good reissue will slay a trad.

Eric Duane

Reaction score
Save, sell, trade get rid of whatever you can because having a historic is well worth it.

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
You really should go and play a few if you can....And I will say it again....know your necks...unless neck size and shape has no effect on how comfortable or accurate you play...

Everyones hands and playing styles are different. Historic necks tend to be all over the place....there is no one rule that says an R8 is fatter than an R9....Just be aware is all.

Since I buy on the internet mostly....I like to ask about neck size and weight, aside from that they are supposed to be consistent, but not always.

I have been lucky....I have only had one dud and haven't yet been Ganked on a deal....(knock on wood)

Good luck in your search, Ask questions, and you will need to show us pictures.....Or we get hoppin' MAD.....:D

Kossoff6

Reaction score
Thanks to all you guys. Some good advice. Guess I'll be saving the old fashion way. I should probably cut out the coffee and smokes. I love my 2013 Traditional. Mine is damn near the best guitar I've ever played, but there's only a few things: I could go a lot fatter on the neck, I'd prefer the longer neck tenon, and I love the dark bursts. They put those things on a new Trad, and that's all I would need.

H. Mac

Reaction score
My question is --where is the best place to shop? and--How do you go about paying for them?

I've been buying and selling guitars for 48 years, and if there's one thing I've learned, its that the guitar will usually find the buyer, and when this happens, it's usually way better than the other way around. Finding a great guitar is like finding a great woman: There's no best place to shop.

Payment is another matter. Guitars can bring a lot of satisfaction, but so does fulfilling responsibilities, including the responsibility to live within a budget. Cash, trade, and credit are fine, but the trick is to keep your eye on the interest.

Sharky

Reaction score
Finding a great guitar is like finding a great woman: There's no best place to shop.

haha, good comparison. I sometimes wish my monster in law had a Burst instead of a daughter (just kiddin')

JTele

Reaction score
I agree with buying used, particularly if you're on a rather tight budget. I currently own four Historics, and all of them were in like-new, but only slightly used condition when purchased. If you're not particular about having a figured top versus a plain top, you can save a significant amount of $$$ going with a plain top as well.

Shawn Lutz

Reaction score
I never buy brand new unless its a steal as if you pay new retail your lost 750-1500 once you walked out of the door.

I'm far from experienced but my suggestion is it is none of anyone's business how people pay for their toys. Bottom line is if you don't have $$$ do NOT charge it, going into debt for a toy is flat out stupid...that should be a good enough hint on how to pay :)

Know what you want before looking and stick to looking at what you initially wanted. If you have your heart set on an R9 get an R9, if you settle on an R8 you eventually will end up with an R8 and a R9 lol.

I only have one historic and it is a 2008 3 pickup BB7 57 Reissue LPC Black Beauty that I bought used back in March. Someone had paid 5k for that and I bought it used for less than a new Standard. I know a lot of folks are overly anal about having to play one first but you really limit your search to your immediate area...the world is a big place ;) You can buy used online from someone who has a return policy.

jc2000

Reaction score
Patience grasshopper. You could also start by selling some of your other guitars. I've paid cash for all the historics that I've owned. Work with some of the vendors here on the forum and tell them what you want.
What do you mean by "selling some of your guitars"???? Don't tell my wife that, she thinks you can only buy them.

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
That doesn't last long....she will figure it out....Trust me....:shock:

duck2k

Reaction score
Find a good Gibson dealer. IMHO Guitar Center may have decent deals, there are many private dealers that can outprice them; and you might have a prettier top to boot. My dealer in Phoenix AZ, have good prices, but dealing with Brett from Eddie's guitar, had the best all around customer service and deals. Consider them on your list.

Patience is another thing. To me, buying a historic is like buying a house: ya gotta live with it, be comfortable with it, and it is genuinely right for you.

Guitarhack

Reaction score
Check out Dave's Guitar Shop, they have a great selection and are willing to deal with you on the price.

Gibson Custom Shop | Dave's Guitar Shop

Route 66 also has a good selection and are willing negotiate.

Route 66 Classic Guitars

Taking your time is a good idea. Look around and shop for the right one, this will give you time to sell what you don't need and save up some cash. I've always done this and used paypal to pay for my online purchases.

Latest Threads