Buying my first LP, think I'm settled on a Plustop Pro. How do I tell if it's a standard pro or a standard plustop pro? Noob question sorry.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
How did the phone call go, is your new Axe on its way to you?"

WonderMouse

Reaction score
How did the phone call go, is your new Axe on its way to you?"

Arrives tomorrow thanks, got 14 days to return it if It's one of the duds, I know the new 60s models have some serious QC issues.

Won't have a proper amp until thursday to test it out on though.

Reaction score
Iced tea, no photos I just placed the order to make sure someone else doesn't steal it from under me, the guy in the chat told me to adn then to phone tomorrow and if I'm assured the frets are perfect then I'll go ahead with the order, just worried about them as I really want a nice low action and I don't have the experience to level frets by myself and I live miles away from someone with the knowledge.

Perfect will be difficult - especially with different climate conditions. If you can set it up to around optimal factory specs (around 3/64" on the treble side, around 0.010" relief) and not have any buzz up and down AND on full step bends above the 12th, then it's definitely a keeper. Slightly sharp fret ends are almost inevitable unless its one of the models where they take extra care to roll off and dress the fret ends (i.e. exclusive and/or artist models). They never do that for standards. I'm not familiar with climate in the UK, but it is almost winter and with heaters on and everything, I wouldn't be surprised if you did have a few sharp fret ends here and there. If the fret ends really bother you, a small fret finishing file (or a fine diamond file with the edge grinded smooth) should do the trick. The really small one from Crimson Guitars does wonders and you could even skip taping up the fret board and just go through all the corners of the frets fairly quickly.

WonderMouse

Reaction score
Perfect will be difficult - especially with different climate conditions. If you can set it up to around optimal factory specs (around 3/64" on the treble side, around 0.010" relief) and not have any buzz up and down AND on full step bends above the 12th, then it's definitely a keeper. Slightly sharp fret ends are almost inevitable unless its one of the models where they take extra care to roll off and dress the fret ends (i.e. exclusive and/or artist models). They never do that for standards. I'm not familiar with climate in the UK, but it is almost winter and with heaters on and everything, I wouldn't be surprised if you did have a few sharp fret ends here and there. If the fret ends really bother you, a small fret finishing file (or a fine diamond file with the edge grinded smooth) should do the trick. The really small one from Crimson Guitars does wonders and you could even skip taping up the fret board and just go through all the corners of the frets fairly quickly.

I live in Scotland so it's starting to get cold now but not too bad yet. I didn't mean perfect out of the box necessarily but after lowering the bridge I'd like at minimum 1.15mm and 2mm at the 12th respectively with no fret buzz, then I can start to lower it from there. If there is fret buzz at that height then I start to worry because filling frets etc iss something I've never done.

Thanks

WonderMouse

Reaction score
Also this is going ot be my first electric in 13 years (second guitar ever) I've been playing on the same £150 cort since 2008, so I'm sure even if this Epi arrives in a bad state I will probably think it's a massive step up which is good, but I don't want to not realise a fault with it just because I'm so used to an old cheap guitar. Is there a guide or checklist somewhere that I can run over the guitar and check what should and shouldn't be right with it?

Pop1655

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
To sum up 2020/21 Standard 60s better then a plustop?
Yes! I think you did great. You got better pups, better wiring and and overall better guitar in my book.
If there are a couple of issues, deal with em. You still have the better guitar. Reading what you were looking at, I think you won the game. Make your expectations realistic. Don't overthink or be too concerned. You did good. Enjoy your victory.

Reaction score
I live in Scotland so it's starting to get cold now but not too bad yet. I didn't mean perfect out of the box necessarily but after lowering the bridge I'd like at minimum 1.15mm and 2mm at the 12th respectively with no fret buzz, then I can start to lower it from there. If there is fret buzz at that height then I start to worry because filling frets etc iss something I've never done.

Thanks

That would almost be the lowest you'd want to go on a Les Paul - whether GIbson or Epiphone. Any lower than that you're going to risk running into all kinds of buzzing. Of course, it might not be that noticeable once amped (and esp if you play with lots of distortion).

For Les Pauls, this is a useful entry-level guide to how to set things up (no need for fancy tools or anything):

WonderMouse

Reaction score
4gJyQh7.jpeg

Dio7JwB.jpeg

It's here

WonderMouse

Reaction score
Action is 2.9 and 1.9 out of the box (store setup) with no buzz. Neck relief looks about right, what now just try lowering the bridge little by little?

Reaction score
Congrats!!! Oh I love that color!! If it's not too much to ask, would you be able to take pics in a spot where the lights aren't amber (i.e. natural light or lights with a whiter hue). If everything looks and plays right, then yeah, go for it! I'd loosen the strings a bit and adjust the bridge downwards to your liking. Once height is set (and assuming no buzzing etc..), last step is to set the intonation then you're gold.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Wow, meesa like. Congrats, she is gorgeous. How does she play for you, do you like it, and how does it sound?

Oh yea... waiting patiently on the amp. :Ohno:

WonderMouse

Reaction score
Congrats!!! Oh I love that color!! If it's not too much to ask, would you be able to take pics in a spot where the lights aren't amber (i.e. natural light or lights with a whiter hue). If everything looks and plays right, then yeah, go for it! I'd loosen the strings a bit and adjust the bridge downwards to your liking. Once height is set (and assuming no buzzing etc..), last step is to set the intonation then you're gold.

Sure I'll get some better pics if the sun ever comes out (I live in Scotland)

Going to adjust stuff today.

WonderMouse

Reaction score
Wow, meesa like. Congrats, she is gorgeous. How does she play for you, do you like it, and how does it sound?

Oh yea... waiting patiently on the amp. :Ohno:

Plays well so far thank you, action as I say is a little high for now but I'm about to start lowering it, one thing I will say is there's a very slight 'gritty' feeling when bending the top 3 strings, I imagine that means the frets need a little bit of a light polish?

So far unplugged sounds very good, I can tell immediately the difference compared to my cort in how long the notes last and just the general quality resonance in comparison.

Amp comes in a day or two most likely so itching to try it with that. It's a Vox Adio, it was between the vox, katana, and THR10ii. I got a really good deal on the vox so I said let's try that first and if I don't like it I can resell without a loss and try one of the other two.

Reaction score
Plays well so far thank you, action as I say is a little high for now but I'm about to start lowering it, one thing I will say is there's a very slight 'gritty' feeling when bending the top 3 strings, I imagine that means the frets need a little bit of a light polish?

Wouldn't help to give it a bit of a polish if you have the right tools. It's just one of those Epiphone things. Of course, some people just live with it too. Lots of bending and playing will smoothen the frets out over time as well.

WonderMouse

Reaction score
Might give them a polish later then.

Got the action down to about 2.1 and 1.25 (any lower and I get buzz) just by lowering the bridge, haven't touched the frets yet. Is that decent? Could it be better? What's an acceptable action for you guys, and what would you consider to be a great action?

DrBGood

Reaction score
Sure I'll get some better pics if the sun ever comes out (I live in Scotland)
You don't really need sun to get a better color rendition, just outside natural light will get you (us) that.

Reaction score
Everyone plays different - I like mine at 1/16" (approx 1.6 mm) on the treble and 5/64" (approx 2 mm) on the bass side. I usually go with a little bit less neck relief (around 0.08"). Great action is whatever you feel best playing - everyone's hands are different.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I like a Medium to Medium Low action on my guitars. If you're playing the guitar and it feels good, then you're all set. Everyone here is going to be different, some people like it as low as possible and that is way to low for me personally. I don't use tools/measuring, I use my eye down the neck and how the actions feels as well as intonation playing everywhere. I only adjust the truss rod, bridge height and set the intonation, anything more than that, I take it to a professional. If the nut needs an adjustment or the frets leveled/polished and sharp fret edges taken care of, I leave that to the professional.

WonderMouse

Reaction score
No pics I'm afraid, didn't have time in the morning and by the time I get back it's dark outside.

Yeah the action seems decent enough for now but I think due to the are of the buzzing either I need to change the relief or level a few frets, I'll have a more in depth look tomorrow. It has new strings on it so I don't want to waste them but I wonder if I should just change it to my usual strings.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
That's the first thing I do with my new guitar, which is take off the strings, oil the fretboard, and put on my preferred strings. I then adjust the neck, the bridge, as well as check the intonation and let her rip. I did not do this with my Epiphone Les Paul Custom, since I had Sweetwater Plek/setup with my preferred strings before shipping the guitar to me, which was an additional $250 on the purchase price. Well worth it, it came ready to rip with perfect frets/setup.

Latest Threads